Honest opinion

Taylor Brown

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I decided to post a picture of a juniper I have worked on. I am considering selling it because I found a really nice scots pine. It would be the nicest material I have ever owned. The money I make from chores won't be enough to buy it so I need to sell some of my stuff. What I would like to know is this juniper good enough to sell. Its alright to tell me the truth even though I'm a kid.

Attachments

• jsw_p1060461.jpg
    jsw_p1060461.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 110

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's absolutely "good enough" to sell in my opinion. This is light year's ahead of what a lot of other people plop in a pot and call a bonsai. I would bet you would have pretty good luck on Ebay unless you have other means of selling it.

Now hurry up and get it sold so we can see your scots pine!

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wish my cascade looked as nice as yours. It's also a nice photogaph, did you photograph it yourself? I also like the table.

PS I know your dad is always looking to add nice trees to his collection. Maybe he would buy it!

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Taylor,
I think it is a nice one and it should sell pretty easy.
Irene

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good move Taylor, now you have three potential buyers. ;)

Yes, it is good enough to sell, good luck!

Will

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'll bet if you bat those pretty little eyes and talk to Dad real nice he will help you with the Scots Pine. This Juniper is too nice to sell. It would be a shame to part with such a nice effort from such a young bonsai grower like you.

Sorry Dad, I got-a-call-it-likes-I-sees-it. I know you are trying to instill the value of working for something you want and that is an admirable effort. But there comes a time when you consider how many young people cry and moan for an X box, or a Play Station or a cell phone and get it, this kid wants a pine tree so she can work on some good material. That in itself is worth rewarding. Maybe you can work out a payment plan with her chores or something. Sorry to interfere but this is a real good kid that needs to be encouraged as much as possible, besides how can you say no to that pretty little face?

That tree as it is right now could be sold for over a hundred dollars. Do you really want to have it gone when its beauty is only now starting to reveal itself? Taylor has a gift, if she did all the work on this tree herself and I have no suspiscions that she did not. If you have not read the post about talent and technique you should check it out. This little one is a rarity.

Last edited:

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is a surprise! I wondered why Taylor asked to use my camera. I can assure you that this tree is a far cry better than what this picture shows. Will have to get Taylor read the photography article over at AOB:)

Vance I try to do my best and resist the urge to make posts to Taylor's threads. Your post made me make an exception. I agree with you wholeheartedly. In today society kids are pacified when they cry by sticking the last video game under there nose with little or no effort on there part. As Taylor's proud Dad, and also as an observer. I can say that Taylor wants to do this on her own. From being critiqued by adults full force so to speak, to buying her own tools and materials. She has a desire to pay her own way, pay her dues literially and figuritivly. Make her accomplishments her own as well as her failures. I know of the scots she wants, a piece any of use would desire. She knows I'm here if she needs support financial or otherwise. However I'd bet my last penny she doesn't ask or says no if I offer.

BTW: she took that juniper from scratch to this photo all on her own only asking for advise occasionally and reading a lot of threads on this forum. Kinda nice to see the fruits of our discussions here at the nut come to fruition from a kid. We all must be doing something right

Last edited:

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
This is a surprise! I wondered why Taylor asked to use my camera. I can assure you that this tree is a far cry better than what this picture shows. Will have to get Taylor read the photography article over at AOB:)

Vance I try to do my best and resist the urge to make posts to Taylor's threads. Your post made me make an exception. I agree with you wholeheartedly. In today society kids are pacified when they cry by sticking the last video game under there nose with little or no effort on there part. As Taylor's proud Dad, and also as an observer. I can say that Taylor wants to do this on her own. From being critiqued by adults full force so to speak, to buying her own tools and materials. She has a desire to pay her own way, pay her dues literially and figuritivly. Make her accomplishments her own as well as her failures. I know of the scots she wants, a piece any of use would desire. She knows I'm here if she needs support financial or otherwise. However I'd bet my last penny she doesn't ask or says no if I offer.

BTW: she took that juniper from scratch to this photo all on her own only asking for advise occasionally and reading a lot of threads on this forum. Kinda nice to see the fruits of our discussions here at the nut come to fruition from a kid. We all must be doing something right

Dad will she take a helping hand from another female? (This is not a hand out, but a hand up.)
I will gladly pay for part of the pine she wants.....
I see so few of the children so interested in Bonsai I would consider it an Honor to be one of her Patrons of the Art.
I ask that other females who are Bonsai Artist themslves to go with me in this....
Us "Girls" need to show our support for this young budding future Master of the Art of Bonsai....
Our numbers are few enough as it is...
Irene

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I agree, I would pony up as well, but I have an idea. Dad, why don't you offer to buy the Juniper from her?

Again I am sorry if I have intruded myself where I should not have, you have to raise this one the way you see best and from what I can see you have been doing a pretty good job.

Taylor Brown

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am sorry I think I made a mistake posting this juniper.:( I am not looking for anyone to buy this tree here from the forum I just wanted some ideas about the tree, I didnot want to get embaressed. Ms. Irene your idea is a nice one but I could never do something like like that. Thankyou for offering, I can get the scots.:)

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I am sorry I think I made a mistake posting this juniper.:( I am not looking for anyone to buy this tree here from the forum I just wanted some ideas about the tree, I didnot want to get embaressed. Ms. Irene your idea is a nice one but I could never do something like like that. Thankyou for offering, I can get the scots.:)

Taylor do not be embarrassed! You are doing great with your Bonsai!
Taylor the door will always be open if you change your mind.....There is nothing wrong with having a Patrona to assist you. Many great artist thru out history had Patrons.
A Patron is there to advance your own abilities and further your teachings.
Please remember this.
Irene

anttal63

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
hey taylor you are an amazing young lady, not only is your bonsai inspiring but the fact you like to stand on your own two feet is da best! credit to yo folks.

Taylor Brown

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Ms. Irene, I am not an artist yet, I'm just a kid. Maybe one day I can be a real one if I work hard enough. Is Patrona a spanish word.

Thankyou all for your answeing....Dad suggested that I post a different view of the juniper and a before picture before I moved the bottom branch. I will do this if I get my home work done in time tonight.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Ms. Irene, I am not an artist yet, I'm just a kid. Maybe one day I can be a real one if I work hard enough. Is Patrona a spanish word.

Thankyou all for your answeing....Dad suggested that I post a different view of the juniper and a before picture before I moved the bottom branch. I will do this if I get my home work done in time tonight.

Yes Taylor it is, it is the female name for Patron.
Taylor, Bonsai age is a myth... Any Artist is not limited because of age.
I think you are closer than you think Taylor.
But I also have no doubts that you will improve with the years...
Irene

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Taylor,

Your father has taught you well it would seem, you have done some very good work on this tree, you should be proud, I know your father is.

Your words here show a wisdom that is often lost with age by many, hold on to it.

Will

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Taylor,

Your father has taught you well it would seem, you have done some very good work on this tree, you should be proud, I know your father is.

Your words here show a wisdom that is often lost with age by many, hold on to it.

Will

Here! Here! I agree.

Taylor keep up the good work, you are on the right path, bonsai, and life.

Good job Tom. Hope I do as well as you havel.

Taylor Brown

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi everyone It was sugested that I do show a picture of the otherside. I also after looking at the first picture decided I didn't like the lower pads being seperated. Makes my juniper look like it has legs :rolleyes: so I moved them back to its orignal spot. it is duprises me what a picture will show and what I see for real. What do you think?

Attachments

• jsw_p1060473.jpg
    jsw_p1060473.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 43
  • jsw_p1060474.jpg
    jsw_p1060474.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 39

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
Taylor,
Just remember these words:
You can't see where you're going
If
You don't know where you've been
I can see that you are headed down the right branch ;)

A Friend in bonsai
John

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I decided to post a picture of a juniper I have worked on . . . What I would like to know is this juniper good enough to sell. Its alright to tell me the truth even though I'm a kid.

It's a nice tree, Taylor, but my honest opinion is that it would be more appealing to a prospective buyer, and fetch a better price, if it was styled a bit more. If you cut the lower parts, as in these virts, and wire the remaining, more interesting, branches a bit, I think you could have a tree you might not even want to sell. Not sure if that's "the truth", but it is my 2 cents worth.

Attachments

• v2.jpg
    v2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 18
  • v1.jpg
    v1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Taylor,
Great job on this tree so far! I don't think I would go so far as Mr. Grouper suggests, although I hold his opinion in high esteem. I would suggest a change of pot to a less deep square or round pot. You can perhaps understand my reluctance to produce virtual images when you look at the one I provided. It looks better if you squint. ;)

You were entirely correct in bringing your lower branch across to be closer to its sister. It did look like it had legs! But in my view, the lower pad on the right has enough volume to do its own thing down there, it doesn't need a competing apex for the branch.

Your cascading branch is very nice, and you have some good foliage along it. Might I suggest trying to move your upper branching closer to the trunk, so your tree looks more compact from the other side? I think you would like it.

Attachments

• taylor 3.JPG
    taylor 3.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 25
Top Bottom