Honeysuckle repot.

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As promised on another thread, I am making my feeble attempt to get heads turned back to bonsai "doing" instead of arguing. This is a Honeysuckle (Lonicera Pericyclamen "Serotina") that I've had sitting in a five gallon pot for years. I bought it with the intent to put it in the ground and have it grow over the pergola that was never built over my koi pond. So it's sat in crappy dirt in a 5 gallon pot until today, when I decided to stick it in a cascade pot.
Since this is a vine, I've been chasing back the foliage on this for a couple years, which has proven very difficult. They don't get bushy, nor backbud where I want and seem to be very brittle so I haven't wired anything yet. I don't know how much more I can chase it back because in order for it to bloom on this years wood, I have to turn it loose and let it grow. This gets a beautiful pink flower which turn to pretty red berries. We'll see how she bounces back from the repot and maybe I can post an update with some flowers.
Mary B.

Attachments

• Honey suckle 5 gal.jpg
    Honey suckle 5 gal.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Honey suckle after repot Feb 09.jpg
    Honey suckle after repot Feb 09.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 54

Jay Wilson

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello Mary,
I know nothing about honeysuckle... but it looks like the basis for a bunjin cascade.
Thanks for sharing.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
As promised on another thread, I am making my feeble attempt to get heads turned back to bonsai "doing" instead of arguing. This is a Honeysuckle (Lonicera Pericyclamen "Serotina") that I've had sitting in a five gallon pot for years. I bought it with the intent to put it in the ground and have it grow over the pergola that was never built over my koi pond. So it's sat in crappy dirt in a 5 gallon pot until today, when I decided to stick it in a cascade pot.
Since this is a vine, I've been chasing back the foliage on this for a couple years, which has proven very difficult. They don't get bushy, nor backbud where I want and seem to be very brittle so I haven't wired anything yet. I don't know how much more I can chase it back because in order for it to bloom on this years wood, I have to turn it loose and let it grow. This gets a beautiful pink flower which turn to pretty red berries. We'll see how she bounces back from the repot and maybe I can post an update with some flowers.
Mary B.

Thanks for posting something bonsai. Have you given any thought to making a collecting trip into the Mountains around you? When I was young most of my collected material came from just East and a little north of your location. Wonderful place for Lodge Pole, Douglas Fir, and Ponderosa Pine if you are interested.

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Jay, yes bunjin is about the only way to go with this type of material. It's a very "girlie" plant, that's why I like it. I figure it will still be years to develop, but could be pretty nice. I love using different material. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's like beating my head against the wall trying to make it work.....but it's all fun!
No Vance, I have not gone collecting yet. I am a member of two bonsai clubs and most of the experienced members are older and rarely if ever go. I know they took a trip that went to Mono for California junipers but it was before I joined. I just joined the Sacramento club last June. It seems to be the most active club so far. I'd love to go collecting but wouldn't know where to start.
Mary B.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks Jay, yes bunjin is about the only way to go with this type of material. It's a very "girlie" plant, that's why I like it. I figure it will still be years to develop, but could be pretty nice. I love using different material. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's like beating my head against the wall trying to make it work.....but it's all fun!
No Vance, I have not gone collecting yet. I am a member of two bonsai clubs and most of the experienced members are older and rarely if ever go. I know they took a trip that went to Mono for California junipers but it was before I joined. I just joined the Sacramento club last June. It seems to be the most active club so far. I'd love to go collecting but wouldn't know where to start.
Mary B.

Maybe you could ask around at an area show, if there is one, and see if someone regularly goes and wouldn't mind if you tagged along. The best way to do this is on a two or three day over-night. At the least you might find someone that can tell you how and where. We used to go up around an old ghost town called La Port.

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll have to spread the word around the club. I'm sure our Pres. would figure something out if there's enough interest.
Mary B.

Top Bottom