Hong Kong Orchid...bonsai?

Reaction score
I just bought two 5gal Bauhinia blakeana, 'Hong Kong Orchid's.

I have to trim them, and want to propagate for bonsai if possible.
It's seedless, so have to start from cuttings or air layering.

What type of bonsai pot, i.e. shallow or deep?
What size pot is reasonable to keep it ~2ft x 2ft?

If you have a bonsai of this plant, please post pics.
Thanks!
;)

makarovnik

Mame
Reaction score
Pit them in the ground or a pond basket

How thick is the trunk? Is it the size you want it?

Any pics?

I never looked them up because I never seen one. So I don't know about them.

After you prune them use a root hormone and try and grow some cuttings

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
An orchid is a flower, you can't bonsai it. It doesn't branch like your typical tree. Nothing about it would be of use for bonsai. There are small varieties you can buy and pot, but they aren't meant for bonsai.

Reaction score
Here's the description I just found from a local grower.
I thought you'd have first hand experience with it. They probably have all the info I need.
Thanks for the replies.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Here's the description I just found from a local grower.
I thought you'd have first hand experience with it. They probably have all the info I need.
Thanks for the replies.
Really interesting looking tree. I wonder why it's called an orchid, since the photo of a blossom on the web site clearly shows pistil and stamen instead of a column. Maybe I should have read the paragraph? ;)

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hee hee -------- it is called ------- the orchid tree
Not an orchid.

The Tamarind flowers are also orchid shaped.
Good Luck
Anthony

* May not have enough branches to try as a bonsai.

Reaction score
It's going to be big for a bonsai.....the leaves are large. Not trying to make it a formal
bonsai.....just nice form......will lace it out, keep horizontal branches.
We'll see if it works. Will post a pic if it does.;)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Most Bauhinia species have large leaves, that do not reduce well. Many of the same problems that one encounters when trying to use Redbud (Cersis) as bonsai. The leaves will reduce some, but not enough to make smaller designs believable. "Go Big'' is good advice.

There are a couple species of Bauhinia that do have small leaves, I last saw one available on Top Tropical's website. They are in Fort Meyer's area, Florida. I find their shipping charges prices a bit high, but they have an informative catalog that archives trees not in stock. The Bauhinia listing there could point you to what species to look for.

Reaction score
Thanks, Leo. I'm going to cut it down about 2/3.....
Anything I cut will become a cutting, and I'll try to root them before it gets cold here.
Also, want to try to layer root the top part of the tree to save it if possible.
I'll let the lateral branches grow, and shape it to keep it about 3-4ft x 3-4ft
If the cuttings/layers take, I'll make more trees. They grow fast. ;)
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Kluv

Seed
Reaction score
Hey All,
I have one of these trees as well that I started from seed. My new dog thought it was a chew toy, but in the long run it decided to resprout. However, the leaves are giving me trouble. Any advice would be very appreciated. I have it in plain garden soil. I had this problem with the leaves before the dog got it as well, and it was in a 5 gallon bucket then. It seems to only keep the top leaves, grows thin and the lower leaves brown and die. I've used but b1 already.
Thank you,
Caleb1217181019_HDR.jpg

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These things are everywhere, just never occurred to me to try and grow one. I love how the branching is never straight, it kinks at every internode. Blooming time is now, but with climates getting messed up, some of them seem to carry their blooms year round.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
There is a miniature orchid tree with really tiny leaves and white flowers. I have some. The leaves are about half-inch size. They do well in Southern California. I grew a few from seeds too. I gave away some and friends have made pretty decent bonsai from them. They flower year round almost. The ones I have left are just in nursery cans. Pre-bonsai in training. I'll snap some pics later this weekend. The regular size orchid tree would not make convincing bonsai. But you should try anyway.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey All,
I have one of these trees as well that I started from seed. My new dog thought it was a chew toy, but in the long run it decided to resprout. However, the leaves are giving me trouble. Any advice would be very appreciated. I have it in plain garden soil. I had this problem with the leaves before the dog got it as well, and it was in a 5 gallon bucket then. It seems to only keep the top leaves, grows thin and the lower leaves brown and die. I've used but b1 already.
Thank you,
CalebView attachment 220584

Possibility of excess H2O, fertilizer or both:confused:?

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
About as resilient as a ficus, and they’re everywhere

Attachments

• C30C306E-3AD8-42C8-9401-F9F2126FC67E.jpeg
    C30C306E-3AD8-42C8-9401-F9F2126FC67E.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 24
  • C9E33A30-8F8E-41A3-A367-1E508AB1D17F.jpeg
    C9E33A30-8F8E-41A3-A367-1E508AB1D17F.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 27