Hopeful Banyan

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey Nuts,

Purchased this got off of one of the Facebook auctions sites this past week. Having it shipped cost a pretty penny, but I say it was well worth it.

It came from Florida from New World Bonsai.

My initial thinking is to remove the crossing ariel root in the front.

20170728_142719.jpg 20170728_142722.jpg

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If that is a true Benghalensis I will buy every rooted cutting you can get first round serious ;)
Tiger Bark...

You're back in a big way @Redwood Ryan , nice tree. I think the thick aerial coming from up high could be tucked behind the branch/trunk on the right. The small one just needs to be buried

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Nice ficus. The crossing root doesn't bother me but if it thickens substantially in the tree's lifetime I can see it becoming an issue.

I also second what Jeremy said. Next repotting you can move the aerial root around.

Also when are you going to grow stuff other than ficus! You're missing out.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like that root.
Kind of a tone setter when it comes to movement.

That lowest left trunk I think goes against the root.
Maybe take it off....and sell it to Grimmy!

Nice

Sorce

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I like that root.
Kind of a tone setter when it comes to movement.

That lowest left trunk I think goes against the root.
Maybe take it off....and sell it to Grimmy!

Nice

Sorce

Hahaha nah the lowest left branch is definitely staying. If anything it's that root that's a problem, but I'll try to move it if possible next repotting.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Why laughter?

How about a friendly challenge?

I'm coming off a Mirai high...please bear with me.

In this most recent free nursery stream...
He speaks of creating asymmetry by holding a similar branch angle up the tree...
(Confusing as laid out, I think he was referring to top and bottom assymetry as opposed to left and right)

As...
When explained with low arms / \
Mid arms - -
And up arms \ /

It creates a circle.
Symmetrical top and bottom.

This tree is doing that.

\ /
- -

Without that branch....
It is not...

Of course...
You may see some future where that branch does something else for the compostition....

But...

I see all those other roots...
And that main one.
Even the one crossing that low branch..
Flowing up into some (can't see it) future.

It's like they all followed that one..
Beautifully too.
Unevenly spaced..
Mostly the same angle..
Different heights...
All around...
Ending into soil or more base....

That's why that root is such a tone setter IMO..
What the roots are doing is exactly what we want the top to do!

Where...that branch, unless somehow used off in its own trunkdom, with an equal amount of cool roots off it...
Just kinda sticks out like a wang dizzle!

The challenge?

Try Smokes stick figure tree exercise with it...
And see if it doesn't change your mind.

I really just want to know why you like that branch so much...

And what is so wrong with that root?

Sorce

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I see a lot wrong with the root to be honest, with the biggest issue being it cuts across the front of the tree and is visually unappealing. It's either going to move or it's going to be chopped off. The trunk and all other aerials flow nicely together, and this one cuts that all off.

The branch in the left has to stay to create more of a banyan feel, and it's been there since the original owner had it (supposedly).

GSCarlson

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm not sure what Sorce said (rarely do), but I agree, I think, about keeping the root where it is..gives the tree some unique movement. And keep the left branch, very important to the whole.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've got a root exactly like that on one of my "Fred ficuses". I'm going to move it over to the side and use it to fill in a gap between the trunk and an existing aerial root. Almost certainly what I would do with this tree if it were mine.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Shoot @sorce I missed that class. Can I copy your notes?..

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You do a full bareroot repott like your supposed to, you'll probably get an inch or more of "new" trunk. That branch on the viewers left should be high enough then to build a banyan type out of everything you have here. Aerial root in the front? Easily moved at next repot/slippot....whatever your deeming acceptable at this point......:confused:;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D

'Dem videos are unwatchable......4 minutes in and I'm still waiting for somebody to touch a tree?:p Go beat the shit out of some trees and stop lookin for yo' daddy. sheesh!!!:rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Plot twist: this tree has got thrips. Fantastic.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Plot twist: this tree has got thrips. Fantastic.

Bummer, start squishing!! Interesting that SoCal nursery trade trees are mostly F. microcarpas var nitidas 'green gem' which are resistant. My potted green gems didn't get a single one, while the benjis and older landscape microcarpas were infested. Imidacloprid granules took care of pots and 2 years/20,000 green lacewing larvae took care of the landscape.

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Move it or lose it. You're right, it does appear to be the same thickness as the trunk up top so it will spoil your taper. You can treat it as an approach graft to the lower trunk but in reality it would be quicker to regrow another one. I'll change my vote, cut it off so we can see through that hole in the trunk. There's a lot of interest in this trunk but you will eventually have to cut all (?) branches back pretty hard to create a tighter silhouette.
Thrips are easily taken care of with a systemic spray or simple leaf removal and fire:D

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The root doesn't bother me because it follows the same line as the two roots to the left. I think it gives nice movement, but you're right that you don't want it to get much thicker.

Speaking of not wanting to get much thicker - that left branch. It is fine right now if you can ramify it and constrain it while bulking up the main trunk and tree. That's another part of the tree I would not want to get much thicker. It works now... but would not work if it were 50% thicker for example.

Reactions: Vin
Top Bottom