Hopefully saved some Privet from death

CodeMonkey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I went to help out the mother law with fixing a fence (now we're allowed to meet one other person outside!) and noticed that she was removing a row of privet hedges.

Apparently they were chopped last winter and she has been constantly spraying them with weedkiller since spring began to stop them growing while she found time to dig them up (it's not worked).
She had fully dug up a couple and was working on a third. Naturally I said I'd help out and take them off her hands.

The first two are lacking any sort of decent amount of feeder roots so I don't hold much hope, but they look cool.
the third is a bit better as I removed it myself.

I found the largest pots I had laying around and cut of enough of the large roots to fit them in. I also reduced a couple of the trunks down. I didn't see it doing anymore harm as these things have had it rough.

I'll be going back to see if I want any of the other 7 this weekend before they go in the bin!

They're planted in a mix of the soil they came out of (surprisingly loamy and aerated) blus some decent bonsai mix. I wired them all in hard and have them in semi shade under a couple of apple trees.

Anyway, here's some pics. (Most of the ones I took ended up out of focus! More so than these!)
What do you think? Is there anything I could do to try and improve chances of survival? Perhaps a treatment of something such as SuperThrive?

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20200514_192558.jpg
    20200514_192558.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 20200514_193523.jpg
    20200514_193523.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200514_193534.jpg
    20200514_193534.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20200514_205704.jpg
    20200514_205704.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20200514_205746.jpg
    20200514_205746.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200514_205829.jpg
    20200514_205829.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 45

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cool stuff if you can get them to survive!

As far as getting them to survive, the ones with less roots may benefit from a humidity tent of some sort for a few weeks. This will help alleviate stress from transpiration loss. If you go this route, don't let them get direct sun while the bag is on.

And I actually think you have a type of Euonymus, not ligustrum. A closer up pic of a few leaves will confirm. I thought I saw some serrations in the leaves, and ligustrum should have entire (smooth, not serrated) margins.

Good luck!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I respectfully disagree. They are privet and want full sun, food & water.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice material. As long as they're in well-drained soil I think they'll be fine. Check out Harry Harrington's progressions on his Privets. They develop very quickly, much like Boxwoods. If you have any skill with carving then all the better. Keep us posted of their development 👍

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Privet very tough as your MIL has proved. Occasionally one will sulk for a few months after collection but mostly they will cope with almost complete root removal.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wife and I found a privet thrown out at the curb during neighborhood cleanup.
It was planted in a shallow dish like for under flower pots to catch water.
Took it home and it grew.
LORDY did it grow!!!
Then.... in a fit of ignorance....we PLANTED IT IN THE GROUND!
JEEPERS SNEEPERS!
Took some real digging to get it out and back to its home in the cleanup gutter. :eek:

CodeMonkey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks for all the replies!

I'm pretty sure they are Ligustrum ovalifolium. I don't want to argue with the mother in law anyway 😁

It's great to hear they are so determined to not die! Especially as my favourite of the bunch had the least roots. (The twin with hollows in the trunks)

They are privet and want full sun, food & water.

Would you suggest full sun right away? Currently they only get direct sun for a couple of hours a day.

Check out Harry Harrington's progressions on his Privets. They develop very quickly, much like Boxwoods. If you have any skill with carving then all the better.

I've checked out Harry Harringtons privet progressions. Very impressive! Some great inspiration there, thanks.
I have pretty much zero carving skills, luckily if I pick up the other 7 plants I'll have plenty to practise on. The ones I left in the ground are all bigger than these. They've been in the ground 60+ years.

Thank again. I'll certainly keep this thread updated on their response/progress.

Top Bottom