Hoping for ideas/links/reco's for small DIY green-house builds (or 'semi-greenhouse' enclosures)

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
With my collection of almost entirely tropical trees, I'm very concerned about the coming winter - I know bougies don't do well with freezing temps (especially in containers!) and that's the majority of my collection.... If it's mid-january and a 3-day freezing period is forecast, I'll be in a very bad spot (I guess I could move everything indoors? That's not remotely practical with the # and size of my trees!)

I've got a bunch of extra 4x4's and random lumber, am wondering whether anyone's got pics/plans/articles/suggestions on any small, simple greenhouse setups or anything of that nature? Any pictures/plans/insight or direction to those would be greatly appreciated, I'd rather get-going on this now instead of doing it mid-winter when I start suffering casualties!

gallina1594

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've built a pvc pipe green house in my basement. Used a piece of thin plywood for a door. Wrapped it in painters plastic and insulated it with blankets and whatever I could find. I was able to get the temp to stay in the lower to mid 70s with 3 grow bulbs

Reactions: SU2

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
So I make a hoop house for tropicals - super cheap and easy can be vented easily or just pull off the plastic if it's small during the sunny days. Can run a little heater on nights it gets super chilly - for florida ;). I save the ribs and pop it up every year in about 10 mins.

20161223_074624.jpg

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So I make a hoop house for tropicals - super cheap and easy can be vented easily or just pull off the plastic if it's small during the sunny days. Can run a little heater on nights it gets super chilly - for florida ;). I save the ribs and pop it up every year in about 10 mins.

View attachment 165810

How does this hold with strong winds?

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
How does this hold with strong winds?

Very well - the hoops are slid over 2ft rebar pcs that are hammered down into the ground and are left all year so are really in there and the ribs are wired to the rebar - ive never had a problem.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've built a pvc pipe green house in my basement. Used a piece of thin plywood for a door. Wrapped it in painters plastic and insulated it with blankets and whatever I could find. I was able to get the temp to stay in the lower to mid 70s with 3 grow bulbs

This is similar to what I'm thinking, only am picturing using 4x4's and just building a large box/room, using the thinnest mil drop-cloth material I can find that's suitably strong, and going from there...am just unsure whether it's overkill, am so on the fence about this right now!!

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

View attachment 165810

LOVE IT!! Okay that's an idea I can really work with!! I've got 3 main benches that I can squeeze most of my trees onto, I like that idea/approach I think I'm going to setup a frame (or at least cut the timber!) so that, if & when necessary, I can just squeeze the 3 benches together and cover them like that!!

What're you using for plastic 'walls' on that?

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
LOVE IT!! Okay that's an idea I can really work with!! I've got 3 main benches that I can squeeze most of my trees onto, I like that idea/approach I think I'm going to setup a frame (or at least cut the timber!) so that, if & when necessary, I can just squeeze the 3 benches together and cover them like that!!

What're you using for plastic 'walls' on that?

I use the thickest plastic drop cloth from home depot.

Reactions: SU2
Top Bottom