Hornbeam #3

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I do fertilize into the fall, but had not thought to use a miracid type. I didn't get this one into better sun after the summer this year, as the weather was just too wild to trust it out in the sunny area,( too hot and windy) so I'm sure that had something to do with it. Thanks @Leo in N E Illinois for the information.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Keeping focused on the long term health of the plant is primary, weather has been wild. Last night we dropped to 21 F, this is a full 2 weeks before we normally start dropping into the 20's . We will be below freezing for our daytime high today, and probably stay below freezing through the middle of the week. Yikes.

These tricks will help, but it is hard to say how much. I can predict how much ''redder'' a orange-ish flowered Phragmipedium orchid will get if you use these tricks, and the effect is dramatic enough that side by side photos of the same plant blooming ''with'' and the blooming ''without'' the tricks, orchid judges have a hard time believing they are flowers from the same plant. But I have not repeatedly tested these in deciduous trees. I have tried some, with my maples, and they do seem to help a modest amount, but how much color was improved over what the vagaries of that year's weather I have not sorted out. So I can't say with certainty that these tricks will make a dramatic change.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow,I love these.I have a few 1 gallon Coreana’s from Brent that I’m prepping for cuttings early during Winter.
I want to excellerate everything with these in the Hydro room,I understand they are difficult from cuttings.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Really beautiful, pay close attention to repotting schedules.

Michaelb

Sapling
Reaction score
What are your future plans on this tree?
Can it be improved or is it finished?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nothing is ever really finished... I will continue to ramify the canopy, the overall shape is about where I intend to keep it.
Do you have something in mind that could improve the tree? I'd be happy to hear it.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Have yet to see you show much of anything in the way of content, context or credible critique.......

@JudyB coming thru on the vision she commented towards my post some three years ago...fun! Time flies. Nice photo as well.

A trim before winter storage? (Knowing u have a "controlled" winter quarters)?

😷

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Stunning tree @JudyB ! Do you happen to know what the beginnings of this tree were? It is such an odd shape, but it’s very interesting. To me it looks like a chop was made and instead of waiting to create consistent taper from the base, one leader was encouraged to a point, then the usual trunk building process was implemented. Then again, it’s not exactly the usual clean lines and basal flare you’d expect, so 🤷‍♂️. Very cool anyway.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Pardon,..but can I just say,
”Damn Judy!”
Nice.

Top Bottom