Hornbeam airlayer

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Seems like it pulled through. Looking forward to trimming of the big side-branches!View attachment 75002

interesting piece. i personally think it would make a very good raft, i saw a tilia raft in the park the other day
IMG_4651 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

always wanted to do a raft, i think this material is perfect for it
think yours would look great laid out on a large rectangle or slab and each shoot trained into trees, but thats just me:)

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm all for maybe doing any large reductions you think are best, then leaving till next Spring.

It is SO MUCH easier for others to say "leave it, patience" etc.. all that boring advise, cos its not our tree and we aren't the ones itching to work on it! Don't you hate that?!

But yeah, I think you know by now it is a great tree so the patience is worth while. Also, only reason I say maybe reduce anything is cos it'd be painful to waste a year of potential healing and scarring, if you make reductions on large branches.
At the same time, in the grand scheme of things, not a big deal.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In winter 2017/2018 I removed all the original thick straight barnches and reduced the top to the first your branch. Then I let it grow.
In summer 2018 it suffered from the perpetual hot winds and probably too small pot for development. I am looking for a larger heavy pot to move it to. As it dropped leaves 2 months early in 2018 I will wait till budbreak for an update. Just to make sure it did not craok on me!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
E not z!

I missed the last update!
Nice!

Sorce

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Kinda hard to see because I'm on my phone but is the base rising up vertically from the pot? If so maybe have a play with the planting angle when dormant? Nice, snakey movement - I like it.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks Awesome as is!

I can’t help to imagine laying this tree over on it’s second bend side for a raft type sinuous arch deal and have roots form on the second bend also!!

Peter Chan sais’ Hornbeam layer nicely.I’m starting a bunch of seed currently.
Nice work!

Top Bottom