Hornbeam defoliation / ramification development

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Had two questions on Korean hornbeam I was hoping someone here may know the answer to...

My understanding is that you are not supposed to defoliate them as a general practice due to it weakening the tree. But in looking around tonight I'm seeing articles (including on Mirai) which seems to encourage the practice. Am I wrong to think it's a better practice to avoid defoliating these, or have I been wrong this whole time?

The second question is then, if you don't defoliate, the method to increase ramification is simply to let grow out and harden off in spring and then directionally prune - and that's about it. Is that correct?

Appreciate any experienced advice!

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Partial defoliation has worked well for me on Korean and American Hornbeam, it minimizes the leaf size , keeps it there so there is still energy in the tree and not a deficiency, and allows light to hit interior. Partial defoliation works when you fold the tree in half , and cut at an angle so there still is a point at the tip of the cut leaf. On branches or twigs that need kore energy you leave alone

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Partial defoliation has worked well for me on Korean and American Hornbeam, it minimizes the leaf size , keeps it there so there is still energy in the tree and not a deficiency, and allows light to hit interior. Partial defoliation works when you fold the tree in half , and cut at an angle so there still is a point at the tip of the cut leaf. On branches or twigs that need kore energy you leave alone

Ah! So more leaf cutting than taking the whole leaf off? Thanks!

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ah! So more leaf cutting than taking the whole leaf off? Thanks!
Yep partial defoliation on the leaf leaving half of the leaf on. Of course timing is everything, I wouldn’t partial defoliate a weak tree or until after the first flush of growth gardens off someone in June or July for me atleast

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I killed a nice imported yamadori KH by defoliating it in summer. Came back super weak, and then a late frost wiped it out the next March.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I killed a nice imported yamadori KH by defoliating it in summer. Came back super weak, and then a late frost wiped it out the next March.

Oof. I think you telling this story before is how I came under the impression that it was a no-no.

Leaf cutting makes sense compared to full defoliation in that case!

Top Bottom