Hornbeam gone wild

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
After the last hornbeam I did I promised there was yet another one in the works. Well that day has finally come. You can read the whole story on the blog or just enjoy the few images posted here.

Before --
hornbeam3_7309sm.jpg

After --
hornbeam2012after.jpg

Thanks!!! enjoy!!!

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Grand Hornbeam - very nicely done!

I was by Elandan two days ago and took the new dog for a tour around the pond. The dog was mostly interested in a large doe up on the little ridge there to the south, and did not have an eye to see how nicely trimmed this tree was - but I noticed right away. Hard to believe, but it's even nicer in person than in this great photo. :)

Great work you've done with these hornbeams. Kudos.

Reaction score
Gotta echo nice job... and thanks for sharing.
would love to see a pic with it leafed out when it does.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great work :) Certainly a beautiful tree!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I do love the new front angle. It gives the tree a better "posture" if you will. How wonderful it must be to work on such a beauty!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The Grand Hornbeam - very nicely done!

I was by Elandan two days ago and took the new dog for a tour around the pond. The dog was mostly interested in a large doe up on the little ridge there to the south, and did not have an eye to see how nicely trimmed this tree was - but I noticed right away. Hard to believe, but it's even nicer in person than in this great photo. :)

Great work you've done with these hornbeams. Kudos.

What kind of dog did you get? I like dogs better than most people....

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great work as usual, Eric. Thank you for sharing. I have a few comments/questions that are not meant to second guess your work or past work on this tree, but rather to gain some perspective and insight and hopefully foster an educational discussion for everyone. I hope you don't mind. Let me start by saying that this tree has a terrific overall feeling and evokes an essence of great age, so any observations you might perceive as being "negative" are merely picking nits.

1. This tree seems to be either slightly top-heavy or thin in the middle. It looks to me to be a little congested at a point about 3/4 of the way up. From the 2 pictures here, it looks like you've reduced this area more than anywhere else, serving as somewhat of an acknowledgement of this perception. Did anything happen to contribute to this feeling (like loss of a branch), or might it be an artifact of the species' strong apical dominance? Are there any plans to reduce the top more, or to develop the middle further? I concede that it may not appear top-heavy in person, and that it could be an effect of taking a 2D image of a 3D object, or it might be negated by a slightly different viewing angle.

2. Very nice pot, and great marriage of pot and tree. However, you mavericks at Elandan are trying to upset the balance of nature ;) , as some might argue that the pot is a semi-cascade style and not at all appropriate.

3. Speaking of the pot, I think that this pot particularly affects the overall feeling of the composition because the tree already has a somewhat cylindrical shape, as opposed to this pyramidal tree you previously posted. A shallower and slightly wider (excluding the current rim) pot would most likely make the tree feel larger, more formidable, and less cylindrical, perhaps counter-balancing the shape of the tree. Instead, this pot/tree combination seems to heighten the cylindrical nature of the tree and make it feel more slender and elegant. Why do you think this pot works so well with this tree? What are your thoughts on using an "untraditional" pot? Do you think there would be any trade-offs in using a more traditional, shallower pot?

Again, thank you for sharing your work, and thanks in advance for taking the time to discuss this tree.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I do love the new front angle. It gives the tree a better "posture" if you will. How wonderful it must be to work on such a beauty!

lol so you noticed.... interestingly I couldn't find a before picture of the front... just one of the back.... figured no one would notice!

it is awesome to work on trees like this... and is one of the best parts of finding a teacher...

Last edited:

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great work as usual, Eric. Thank you for sharing. I have a few comments/questions that are not meant to second guess your work or past work on this tree, but rather to gain some perspective and insight and hopefully foster an educational discussion for everyone. I hope you don't mind. Let me start by saying that this tree has a terrific overall feeling and evokes an essence of great age, so any observations you might perceive as being "negative" are merely picking nits.
No worries Stan I love a good discussion! I'll try and respond inline as best I can :) Lots of good questions BTW!!

1. This tree seems to be either slightly top-heavy or thin in the middle. It looks to me to be a little congested at a point about 3/4 of the way up. From the 2 pictures here, it looks like you've reduced this area more than anywhere else, serving as somewhat of an acknowledgement of this perception. Did anything happen to contribute to this feeling (like loss of a branch), or might it be an artifact of the species' strong apical dominance? Are there any plans to reduce the top more, or to develop the middle further? I concede that it may not appear top-heavy in person, and that it could be an effect of taking a 2D image of a 3D object, or it might be negated by a slightly different viewing angle.
It does appear a bit congested where you indicated and your perception about why this does look this way is pretty accurate on all counts. It is a little thinner in person of course... and the tree is very apically dominant. One thing that needs to be done this year is control the apical dominance and ensure more light gets into the interior of the tree. It was allowed to get a little too excited last year and many interior branches had died off. That actually happened several times in the past. This of course is normal in trees however not good for bonsai... We will need to either encourage new growth to sprout or create new designs that mask this issue...

2. Very nice pot, and great marriage of pot and tree. However, you mavericks at Elandan are trying to upset the balance of nature ;) , as some might argue that the pot is a semi-cascade style and not at all appropriate.
That's more Daniel than me... this maverick likes his pots a little more "traditional" ... Daniel however prefers the feeling employed by many Penjing artists .... also the pot was chosen for its age, depth, shape, and cuz Dan just LOVES those pots. age is obvious... depth is a horticultural choice... the tree needs less watering and fewer repots.... shape.... Dan prefers round pots... 360trees and all plus you don't have to choose a front right away...

In our personal trees and those we participate in the pot choice on for Dan you will see a more traditional bent.... There still is a serious lack of high quality bonsai pottery available in this country... and waiting for custom pots to be made can sometimes take too long (plus one for this would be HUGE)

3. Speaking of the pot, I think that this pot particularly affects the overall feeling of the composition because the tree already has a somewhat cylindrical shape, as opposed to this pyramidal tree you previously posted. A shallower and slightly wider (excluding the current rim) pot would most likely make the tree feel larger, more formidable, and less cylindrical, perhaps counter-balancing the shape of the tree. Instead, this pot/tree combination seems to heighten the cylindrical nature of the tree and make it feel more slender and elegant. Why do you think this pot works so well with this tree? What are your thoughts on using an "untraditional" pot? Do you think there would be any trade-offs in using a more traditional, shallower pot?
pyramidal??? I'm hurt :p (domed... domed dangit!)
Mostly the use of the untraditional pot is outlined above... but yes this pot does highlight the cylindrical nature of the tree.... it's been a concern however with a little time the shape of the tree can be altered as well to spread a little more... reducing that feeling... the elegance is great.. now this is my personal feeling but I happen to love this tree for the fact that is ancient... craggy and weathered... however it sits tall in this elegant pot showing off the slender structure of youth that once was.... kind of a bit of a different feeling of drama....

again LOTS of people don't like this tree in this pot... but for some reason I have always liked it... and of course after years of working around this tree in this pot... anything else would look strange!!

Again, thank you for sharing your work, and thanks in advance for taking the time to discuss this tree.
Thank you!!!! and thank you for discussing it as well.... its the best part for me!

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
That's an absolutely beautiful tree!
I'm not sure what to think about the pot, though. Looks a little to me like the tree is planted in a hat. Not that that's a bad thing... Maybe adds a little levity to the intense ruggedness of the tree. It certainly makes one look closely at the composition.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't be too shy. There is nothing wrong with another Chihuahua.

Oooooo .... a gauntlet is thrown down! :eek: Here goes:

Ooooo - a gauntlet thrown down! :eek: Here goes:

"I believe the breed is currently known as American Kennel Mix. :) Got her at the pound, billed as a "Lab/Chesapeake mix," but I don't see any hints of either of those. I would say she is half Pit and half something else.

I'm not crazy about Pitties but this one is really quite sweet. She was billed by the folks who brought her to the pound as simply being "one of too many dogs," and indeed was quite insecure and uncertain of her place after I got her home. I suspect she was also abused a bit, and did not know the difference between discipline and abuse it seemed to me. She tried one time to aggressively exert dominance early on, but after quickly finding out how unlikely that was to succeed she seems very far from ever trying it again.

About 4 years old, about 60-70 pounds. Solid, sturdy build. One of the most remarkable brindle coats I've ever seen, and in my unimaginative way I've named her Brindle.

A home-body who is content to just hang out on the front porch, bark but not bite with strangers, affectionate without demanding it, eager to please and easy to train, no destructive or neurotic habits, likes to play, low maintenance and hi enjoyment. A keeper. Great dog.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This tree is absolutely incredible...but it looks so refined and unnatural. . . . hahaha

But really, it's amazing. I really like the new perspective, too. One thing I noticed in particular about it is that that lowest right branch almost looks like it's peaking out from behind this big, gnarly tree...like it's got some mysticism to it. I really love the overall feeling I get from the tree. I also like how the trunk structure has been more revealed with the new perspective.

I wish I'd get to see it in person, but I won't be able to visit the west coast for quite some time.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
thanks!!!! Now maybe I can work on some of my own trees :p

I really like the new perspective, too. One thing I noticed in particular about it is that that lowest right branch almost looks like it's peaking out from behind this big, gnarly tree...like it's got some mysticism to it. I really love the overall feeling I get from the tree. I also like how the trunk structure has been more revealed with the new perspective.

I didn't really change the angle of the tree... I couldn't however find a before shot that was turned the right direction (probably cuz I wasn't sure at the time? silly round pots).... It of course makes a pretty credible tree from any angle ....

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
oops I meant to say that the final front is the real front... I just couldn't find a before shot of it from that side...

Randy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
This is one of those inspirational trees that makes you want to go wire anything in sight. Including plastic house plants.

If you have the time maybe you could take a photo of this tree from the top down? The photos on the blog of some of the branches that are top down are kinda neat.

Top Bottom