Hornbeam leaves.

Philipk

Seedling
Reaction score
Evening all
im after a bit of advice, I have a European Hornbeam which I purchased around 3-4 weeks ago and is kept on a table and receives morning sunlight and then late evening sun. In between theses times the light is bright, I would not say shade.
I have been feeding with a 7-7-7 feed liquid form one a week, can you tell me what you think of the leaves? Is it me or are they starting to yellow, I live in England in the Herefordshire area where we have had a few weeks of wet weather now.53B0A1DA-FB29-48E3-B711-71A1CA64BDA6.jpegA5572C31-3FB6-4C9F-8AB3-DA3E9C01C8AA.jpeg19FB1AEA-38EF-4A29-BCDA-6B039A7DC50F.jpeg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
cant see anything wrong.
you could check the soil for vine weevil grubs as a precaution.

Philipk

Seedling
Reaction score
cant see anything wrong.
you could check the soil for vine weevil grubs as a precaution.
Many thanks Bobby I will give the soil a check, I was just concerned with the lighter colour on some leaves, when left will they eventually darken or remain lime greenish. Many thanks Phil.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
yeh they darken as summer goes on just like most species. spring growth is always lighter coloured. wouldnt worry about minor imperfections, its been a crap spring.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It doesn't look like a natural spring green to me. I believe I see zoning with some leaves part yellow and part green. I don't know what zone you are in since you didn't give that information but I am in zone 6 in Virginia and my hornbeams passed their spring green growth several weeks ago. From your description of its care and exposure it doesn't seem like it's likely, but it looks a little like sunburn. Do you know what kind of exposure it had prior to you getting it? It looks pretty healthy and it should be alright, but as a precaution you should check it for spider mites. Also be certain that the fertilizer you are using is balanced in micro-nutrients. Additionally, check the drainage. It looks like it has been awhile since it has been re-potted and the soil could be breaking down and impeding good drainage.
Best of luck.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would you call the close-ups a little innacurate of a depiction of actual color?

They seem more "shadowed".

Welcome to Crazy!

Is it still "rainy"?

It may be that they are just going back to "normal", after a spell of intensely lush green color due to the rain.

One thing is Certain....

Pull that Damn Irish moss before them flowers drop seed and never let it return!

Sorce

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It doesn't look like a natural spring green to me. I believe I see zoning with some leaves part yellow and part green. I don't know what zone you are in since you didn't give that information but I am in zone 6 in Virginia and my hornbeams passed their spring green growth several weeks ago. From your description of its care and exposure it doesn't seem like it's likely, but it looks a little like sunburn. Do you know what kind of exposure it had prior to you getting it? It looks pretty healthy and it should be alright, but as a precaution you should check it for spider mites. Also be certain that the fertilizer you are using is balanced in micro-nutrients. Additionally, check the drainage. It looks like it has been awhile since it has been re-potted and the soil could be breaking down and impeding good drainage.
Best of luck.
Good points. i did see something like this a few years ago when i heavily fertilized a freshly repotted tree. someone said it was because of the ferts, but because OP said he was only fertilizing a balanced feed once a week i didnt think much of it. so looking closer it could be a number of things.

maybe ease up on the feed, check the soil and also check for mites. it looks like youre in the UK and we havnt had much sun!

Philipk

Seedling
Reaction score
Best of luck.
Sorry I’m in Zone 8/9 in the uk.

Philipk

Seedling
Reaction score
yeh they darken as summer goes on just like most species. spring growth is always lighter coloured. wouldnt worry about minor imperfections, its been a crap spring.
Yes vey different to last spring¡

Philipk

Seedling
Reaction score
Would you call the close-ups a little innacurate of a depiction of actual color?

Welcome to Crazy!

Is it still "rainy"?

It may be that they are just going back to "normal", after a spell of intensely lush green color due to the rain.

One thing is Certain....

Pull that Damn Irish moss before them flowers drop seed and never let it return!

Sorce
Unfortunately it is still raining, and more due; I have put a cover over the soil to avoid it getting to wet, don’t know if that’s a good thing "? Have also moved out of the strong winds we have

Philipk

Seedling
Reaction score
Good points. i did see something like this a few years ago when i heavily fertilized a freshly repotted tree. someone said it was because of the ferts, but because OP said he was only fertilizing a balanced feed once a week i didnt think much of it. so looking closer it could be a number of things.

maybe ease up on the feed, check the soil and also check for mites. it looks like youre in the UK and we havnt had much sun!
Constant rain at the moment, if I find that soil mix could do with changing should I wait until early next spring before bud brust, or act immediately. Many thanks

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
you can just lift the tree out the pot anytime and look at the roots. if its draining properly when you water it, then theres no essential need to repot. if youre inexperienced i would wait until next spring to do a full repot. although theres a period through end of summer through autumn when you can repot, ill be doing root work then. re vine weevil you can dig around in the soil now.
how often do you water? soil looks heavy and muggy. might not need as much watering as you think. but if you dont know what youre doing again id wait.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
don’t know if that’s a good thing

People think that being in a pot is a greatly different thing for a tree, yet our material is grown in pots, or collected from a mountain pocket with less soil then a pot.

So as soon as we think about "sheltering" them from their regular old elements, we should....

We should think about how screwed up the world is because we have been sheltering our children.

I don't shelter my kids and they never get sick.

I don't shelter my trees and they never get sick.

Well, neglect either and they get sick.

Sorce

Philipk

Seedling
Reaction score
you can just lift the tree out the pot anytime and look at the roots. if its draining properly when you water it, then theres no essential need to repot. if youre inexperienced i would wait until next spring to do a full repot. although theres a period through end of summer through autumn when you can repot, ill be doing root work then. re vine weevil you can dig around in the soil now.
how often do you water? soil looks heavy and muggy. might not need as much watering as you think. but if you dont know what youre doing again id wait.
Thanks for the information Bobby ,I generally only water when I can feel soil is drying out, but with all this rain it’s not drying lol.

Philipk

Seedling
Reaction score

Welcome to Crazy!

Is it still "rainy"?

One thing is Certain....

Sorce
I have pulled the Irish moss out mate lol.

Top Bottom