Hornbeam new leafs turning brown and crispy

Driver170

Shohin
Reaction score
Alot of my new growth is curing or turning brown and crispy.

I got this in the UK from kaizenbonsai and its in a deep terracotta plastic pot with normal garden compost.

I've been using green dream also every 4 weeks.

Not sure! Maybe fungal attack?

Attachments

• IMG_3943.JPG
    IMG_3943.JPG
    305 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_3944.JPG
    IMG_3944.JPG
    323.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3945.JPG
    IMG_3945.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 89

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
pretty normal for hornbeam leaves at this time of year. even in the heat of summer, the leaves edges can brown, especially if kept all day in full sun. if keeping hornbeam may as well get used to it. sometimes i just snip the brown bits off

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
here's one i received from kaizen last week
IMG_5365 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

zoom in and you can see some brown leaf edges. perfectly normal for the species, if you find it unsightly you can snip around the edge as i do, or keep them out of the mid day sun as G potter and other experts suggest. hope this helps

ps my other hornbeams are the same

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
hmmm - I have 2 American hornbeam and I hardly if ever get leaf scorch and they are in full sun 6 hours a day then dapple shade the rest. I keep them in a little more water retentive mix though

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
hmmm - I have 2 American hornbeam and I hardly if ever get leaf scorch and they are in full sun 6 hours a day then dapple shade the rest. I keep them in a little more water retentive mix though
Mine is "The Other" Korean Hornbeam, Carpinus Turczaninowii.
I'm guessing the OP's is some Euro variety.
But it's common for KH, this time of year, to be half crispy....unfortunately:(
I'm gonna shade mine sooner next year.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a 3-4 year old seedling this happened to this year. First time it's happened. All the leaves turned brown, curled up and fell off. The tree has buds that still look ok so I guess it's not dead yet

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have 4 hornbeams and keep them in dappled shade all summer, full morning sun for an hour or two, but the rest of the day in dappled shade just like my J Maples. Never had leaf scorch. Hornbeams are understory trees...

Pachycaul

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Driver170 I feel your pain. I have 2 hornbeams, and both get funky leaves this time of year. Dappled sun all day. You're not alone, not that it helps!

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I get them browning this time of the year, Being damp and cool at night. Mine did it more when they got too dry on a hot day. They will droop/brown/drop fast if they get too dry...I collected mine in a shady, spring swampy area though.
I should put them in more shade but I've had them do OK in mostly full sun also.

Top Bottom