Hornbeam No.11 progression

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Nice tree, it does look like a tree thats fun to work with.
The one root is still too much of an eyecatcher to me,
Will you leave it like this or any plan for it?

Grtz

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Impressive, I like the root; Seems to be a theme in European bonsai design; rough, weathered and unique. Tempered, wildly refined.
A possible solution:
As you're able to plant the tree deeper during the next repot, the tree could be tilted a bit toward the root, so the main trunk is not so vertical; this would 'drive' the large root under the soil and may make the trunk visually more powerful compared to the visual weight of the root.
It's great and will only improve I'm sure.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, this stump is going places! Did not see this nice tree coming at the start of the thread. Keep posting updates!

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice tree, it does look like a tree thats fun to work with.
The one root is still too much of an eyecatcher to me,
Will you leave it like this or any plan for it?

Grtz
Hi Tommy,

I understand your point. As you maybe red up in the thread this root position and tree position is unintended consequence of last repoting. It was not planed, simply I could not force both side of roots into substrate. Since root was out I knew it will take few years till next repotting, in my substrate tree can thrive for many years without necessity of repotting. So I worked it with Dremel and fire.
I still think what I will do with it. And honestly I have one plan. But it is too early to talk about it.
I'm just curios, in case it is your tree what would you do with it regarding position and root? :)

Impressive, I like the root; Seems to be a theme in European bonsai design; rough, weathered and unique. Tempered, wildly refined.
A possible solution:
As you're able to plant the tree deeper during the next repot, the tree could be tilted a bit toward the root, so the main trunk is not so vertical; this would 'drive' the large root under the soil and may make the trunk visually more powerful compared to the visual weight of the root.
It's great and will only improve I'm sure.
Thanks for suggestion aframe. It is one of possible future options for sure. Thanks for compliments.

Wow, this stump is going places! Did not see this nice tree coming at the start of the thread. Keep posting updates!
Thanks leatherback. :)

aframe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for suggestion aframe. It is one of possible future options for sure. Thanks for compliments.
You know, I should not have made a suggestion; it's such an interesting tree its difficult not to consider it's future. Please continue to update on your progress, this is the type of work this forum needs

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Maros - A great tree and you have developed it so quickly with excellent results. It must be very exciting to have a tree like this in your collection, CONGRATULATIONS!

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Tommy,

I understand your point. As you maybe red up in the thread this root position and tree position is unintended consequence of last repoting. It was not planed, simply I could not force both side of roots into substrate. Since root was out I knew it will take few years till next repotting, in my substrate tree can thrive for many years without necessity of repotting. So I worked it with Dremel and fire.
I still think what I will do with it. And honestly I have one plan. But it is too early to talk about it.
I'm just curios, in case it is your tree what would you do with it regarding position and root? :)

i think i would just grind the root so it goes mor smoothly towards the soil so you loose the sharp angle you have now.
From several angles the tree now looks like it leans too much to one side but i think if you get rid of that sharp angle in the root this feeling will get less too.
it might still be like that but i like a little bit of unbalance, and changing the potting angle like Aframe suggested can solve some of it too

well even if you leave as is you have a nice tree, you are the one to judge what to do with it :)

grtz

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great job on a great tree Maros. I like the thickness of the first branch. This is not/should not be a "rules" type of tree. As is, it has a very natural feel yet the design looks well considered. If it were mine, I'd bring more volume over to the right (or left depending from what side you look at it). The image looks unbalanced to me. I'd like to see this tree in a rectangular pot ;)

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
i think i would just grind the root so it goes mor smoothly towards the soil so you loose the sharp angle you have now.
From several angles the tree now looks like it leans too much to one side but i think if you get rid of that sharp angle in the root this feeling will get less too.
it might still be like that but i like a little bit of unbalance, and changing the potting angle like Aframe suggested can solve some of it too

well even if you leave as is you have a nice tree, you are the one to judge what to do with it :)

grtz

Djtommy,
you are right. Future steps will most probably involve changing pot and changing potting angle to bring the tree back to more upward position. It will solve root problem partly. I hope correct selection of future pot and position will help a lot. :)

Great job on a great tree Maros. I like the thickness of the first branch. This is not/should not be a "rules" type of tree. As is, it has a very natural feel yet the design looks well considered. If it were mine, I'd bring more volume over to the right (or left depending from what side you look at it). The image looks unbalanced to me. I'd like to see this tree in a rectangular pot ;)
M5, Thanks for your compliments. Regarding right side of tree, I guess I know what are you referring to. There has been sacrifice branch and it was cut back in autumn 2014. You can see stump on some of the winter pictures. Two new branches which will take over are there but they are small yet. It will take some time to fill up this space but in case I want to have it correctly ramified it must be done with patience. I think improvement in structure on this branch will be visible during next year.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
New foliage appears after defoliation from beginning of the month.

DSC_9488-001.JPG

DSC_9484-001.JPG

Jacos

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Great Hornbeam nr° 11.....are the other 10 also that nice?
I like your blog too, very informative.
Thanks for sharing.

Jacques

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like this tree like I like my beer, with a good head on it! Looking good!

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Great Hornbeam nr° 11.....are the other 10 also that nice?
I like your blog too, very informative.
Thanks for sharing.

Jacques

Hi Jacos, some are in different stage of progress, so hard to tell. But I try to find and keep best possible material, so I think some of them are promising. Thanks for following my blog. I appreciate all feedback.

So few of my other hornbeams:
DSC_0824.JPG

DSC_7270.JPG

DSC_1213.JPG

Great progression of a nice tree. Thanks for keeping it updated :)
Thanks Colin. :)
I like this tree like I like my beer, with a good head on it! Looking good!
Thanks Smoke :)

Jacos

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi Maros,

They are all impressive Maros, great work !

Maybe strange, but I like the forest best (?or is it a ikadabuki maybe ?)
Got a delicate and natural feeling to it. I like that in bonsai.
It is so hard to achieve that feeling...but you did it.

Regards,
Jacques

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi Maros,

They are all impressive Maros, great work !

Maybe strange, but I like the forest best (?or is it a ikadabuki maybe ?)
Got a delicate and natural feeling to it. I like that in bonsai.
It is so hard to achieve that feeling...but you did it.

Regards,
Jacques
Hi Jacques,
Regarding group planting of hornbeams, I call it forest. It is yamadori, collected as you can see it, no tree added and no tree removed since then. I only guess there are actually only 2-3 plants grown together, so its more like raft. But it really does not matter to me as far as it looks natural.

IMG_0052.JPG

Reactions: JPM
Reaction score
USDA Zone
great pictures and progression!

I love seeing where a tree came from before it was styled and put into a pot.

Top Bottom