Hornbeam No.11 progression

Jacos

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wow that's a big transformation on the raft forest. Absolutely great work.
It is much bigger than I thought it was from the first foto.
I checked out your blog and I also like your two lovely assistants...your a lucky guy!

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Time for short update and little bragging. During the weeknend we had National exhibition of Slovak Bonsai Association, few pictures could be foud here if you are interested http://belanmaros.blogspot.sk/2016/06/national-exhibiton-of-slovak-bonsai.html

And my tree won prize for best native deciduous tree. Taking into consideration that we are small country (about twice the size of New Hampshire according to CIA Factbook, and population slightly bigger than LA) it is still nice result for my little tree.

DSC_6486.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well done!

Very nice tree!

Sorce

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Time for short update and little bragging. During the weeknend we had National exhibition of Slovak Bonsai Association, few pictures could be foud here if you are interested http://belanmaros.blogspot.sk/2016/06/national-exhibiton-of-slovak-bonsai.html

And my tree won prize for best native deciduous tree. Taking into consideration that we are small country (about twice the size of New Hampshire according to CIA Factbook, and population slightly bigger than LA) it is still nice result for my little tree.

DSC_6486.JPG
Well done Maros, now this is one hell of a progression from 2010, not many folks have progression shots end up like this last one above. great source of inspiration, and you are too humble! I feel like this tree would hold its own in any country at any show my friend. What an amazing specimen. hornbeam is my favorite species, your native variety seem to be much more conducive to bonsai culture than our american hornbeam, such nice small leaves too. That suker had buds everywhere after initial collection! what a treat that was I bet. I'm still trying to get my hands on some zeolite lol.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Well done, @Maros !!! Great tree and much congratulations!:D:D:cool:

Easy, I live in NH!!:p
Thanks mate. Regarding NH, nothing against. Actually, it must be very similar state to my county regarding weather, season and topography. Wish I can visit NH sometime. :);)

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Well done Maros, now this is one hell of a progression from 2010, not many folks have progression shots end up like this last one above. great source of inspiration, and you are too humble! I feel like this tree would hold its own in any country at any show my friend. What an amazing specimen. hornbeam is my favorite species, your native variety seem to be much more conducive to bonsai culture than our american hornbeam, such nice small leaves too. That suker had buds everywhere after initial collection! what a treat that was I bet. I'm still trying to get my hands on some zeolite lol.
Thanks Waltron.

I think your native hornbeam is pretty similar to our carpinus betulus. At least according to pictures I have seen online. If it behaves similarly, then you can reduce leave size over time as your trees will progress. Take into consideration that on last picture there is so much foliage removed prior the exhibition that it filled full 10 litre bucket. I'm talking about hundreds, maybe thousands of leaves. Most of them were bigger, than those which left. Point is, if you develop ramification on the tree it will naturally create smaller and smaller foliage over the time.

This is picture from summer 2012, and you can see that size of the leaves is bigger. So regarding this issue, I think hornbeam is rather well behaving species.

And about zeoilte, if you are lucky to find local source for reasonable money, I couldn't recommend it more. It helps me keep my trees in good condition during crazy hot summers we are experiencing during last few years. This stuff if fantastic in retaining huge amount of water and supply it to the plants.

Thanks for your kind words mate ;)

DSC_0157.JPG

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi Maros, congratulations. Hell yeah, six years of development... it's the art of collecting trees, taking the best ones and you've been doing it well.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Since last repotting tree was sitting in its pot in a quite awkward position provoking many. Well, at the time of repotting back in April 2013 it was a too big risk to remove so many roots jut to fit it into a rather shallow pot. Accidentally, it stayed in that position up until last week.
Now, it was time to try to fix the tree in more desirable position. The pot was full of roots and even by removing something like 10-litre bucket of roots, editing stumps of larger roots on the bottom of the tree it was still resisting. Shortly, the tree is now in best possible position for two or more years. Crown needs editing as well, and it was partly done today.
DSC_7143.jpg

DSC_7152.jpg

DSC_7158.jpg

DSC_7162.jpg

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The new angle really helped cover up the old root sticking up. Great progression, and I love the branching and ramification.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice Maros! Is great to see how fine they ramify. I have a large C. Betulus as well that I am looking forward to work.

Can they take aggressive root work?

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Very nice Maros! Is great to see how fine they ramify. I have a large C. Betulus as well that I am looking forward to work.

Can they take aggressive root work?
Thanks Sergio.

Usually, they tolerate quite some harassment. I have never experienced any loses due to root work on an established tree. Truth is, I rather stay on the safe side when working on important trees and try to avoid washing roots with a hose and going into root reduction further than I consider safe. New roots tend to easily sprout from root stumps if you reduce them.

Top Bottom