Hornbeam No.11 progression

Les Lonsdale

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Good info thanks. The distinction I was not making, was between yamadori and container grown. I can understand now that collected trees come from an entirerly different place and ecosystem, so to hose them would be wiping away good material they have built up over years..
For potted though, I’m going to guess it’s ok to hose, in that case..

I hope the car litter I use doesn’t act too much akadama in that it hurts to the tree after 2-3 years.. although the substrate/litter has been tested and recommended. Plus after 2-3 years I’d be looking to repot any way.
The cat litter available in SE USA crumbles into dust within days if left wet. Do you have access to a type that stays intact for years?? We use turface or oil-dry which will not decompose even after 3 -5 yrs.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The cat litter available in SE USA crumbles into dust within days if left wet. Do you have access to a type that stays intact for years?? We use turface or oil-dry which will not decompose even after 3 -5 yrs.

we used to have Tesco branded litter but they ended that. I now use Kaizen Bonsai website, an Bonsai website which sells a lot, for the uk. They have many types of substrate and I buy from there now. More expensive but not much choice.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
we used to have Tesco branded litter but they ended that. I now use Kaizen Bonsai website, an Bonsai website which sells a lot, for the uk. They have many types of substrate and I buy from there now. More expensive but not much choice.
Try Sanicat pink at pets at home mate, £12 for 30L. Also, they have another own brand non clumping clay litter as well. It’s something like 6quid for 20 litres so pretty good, but not sure if it is scented or not. I can’t find any info on it, so might just have to try it and see.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Try Sanicat pink at pets at home mate, £12 for 30L. Also, they have another own brand non clumping clay litter as well. It’s something like 6quid for 20 litres so pretty good, but not sure if it is scented or not. I can’t find any info on it, so might just have to try it and see.

yeah I tried it but it was more.. sharp flat granules and I found it really crap.
Maybe I chose wrong one or something. I’ve not looked in a while, so I might look again.

ive got a good load of substrate all mixed and ready.. since making it, I’ve now decided I don’t want any bark in it.... so I’ll have to seive it out. Got a lot of repotting this spring!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That Sanicat I didn’t end up using at all, I couldn’t. Not comfortably.
The one I use from Kaizen, I assume it is yes or else they wouldn’t sell it. They are a reputable Bonsai website.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Repotted week ago. Managed to remove big chunks of massive roots so now tree is about 2 cm deeper in the pot. Next time, in 2 years it will go even deeper. Structure edited today by pruning.
Stay safe in though times folks.
Happy Easter and Passover.
If you believe in science only then lets hope for the best vaccines fast.

DSC_2458.JPG

DSC_2460.JPG

DSC_2461.JPG

DSC_2462.JPG

DSC_2463.JPG

DSC_2464.JPG

DSC_2465.JPG

DSC_2466.JPG

DSC_2467.JPG

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
Repotted week ago. Managed to remove big chunks of massive roots so now tree is about 2 cm deeper in the pot. Next time, in 2 years it will go even deeper. Structure edited today by pruning.

DSC_2458.JPG

DSC_2460.JPG

DSC_2461.JPG

DSC_2462.JPG

DSC_2463.JPG

DSC_2464.JPG

DSC_2465.JPG

DSC_2466.JPG

DSC_2467.JPG
Beautiful tree, lovely sentiments.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

DSC_2458.JPG

DSC_2460.JPG

DSC_2461.JPG

DSC_2462.JPG

DSC_2463.JPG

DSC_2464.JPG

DSC_2465.JPG

DSC_2466.JPG

DSC_2467.JPG

Hi Maros,
Great tree and progression.
A question regarding Zeolite - What percentage do you use?
Unfortunately my Zeolite breaks down after 18-24 months but still really enjoy using it.
Charles

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Nice tree, I like it. Not a fan of the pot though to be honest.
maybe it’s becoming time to find something better for this tree. It’s worth it.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi Maros,
Great tree and progression.
A question regarding Zeolite - What percentage do you use?
Unfortunately my Zeolite breaks down after 18-24 months but still really enjoy using it.
Charles
Thanks, Charles. Regarding my type of zeolite, I have some for 10 years and even the smallest fraction I use (2,5 -5 mm) did not break down. I use mostly 4-8 mm, but sometimes even larger. I know there are few dozens type of Zeolite (clinoptilolite if I'm right) so I know there are different colours and properties obviously. I use up to 100% of anorganic content with deciduous trees. I would be a little bit more careful with large conifers, since in big pot zeolite is able to store a LOT of water, and then it is obviously too heavy as well.
Nice tree, I like it. Not a fan of the pot though to be honest.
maybe it’s becoming time to find something better for this tree. It’s worth it.
Thanks Tommy. Pot is best possible for time being. Not great, not terrible as Comrade Dyatlov used to say.
Since shit hit the fan in Wuhan in November we are in it for the long haul I'm afraid. When good times return maybe new pot will come. Who knows.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Absolutely fantastic tree, Maros! Definitely a stunner. That base, the open naturalistic feel, and the ramification of the branching are just gorgeous. I do agree it deserves a nicer pot.

Cory

Bonsai & Bourbon

Seedling
Reaction score
Really neat tree. Great work. I'm going to be watching out for collectible trees this summer and hope to find something that can start with the potential that you were able to make into quite a specimen.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Really neat tree. Great work. I'm going to be watching out for collectible trees this summer and hope to find something that can start with the potential that you were able to make into quite a specimen.
You definitely could find good trees out there in your huge country. Takes a lot of walking and searching but good material could be found. Thanks

Top Bottom