Hornbeam No.3 progression

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Few days ago massive amount of foliage was removed from the tree. Honestly, bit too late. A lot of inner foliage in the crown was yellow and weak already. I hope I will not lose too many branches. Fact is, I barely manage to do all necessary maintenance on trees during the season. More developed trees ar, more time you need for all the pruning, defoliation, wiring. With same amount of trees over the years, more and more work needs to be done from season to season.

DSC_4213.JPG

DSC_4215.JPG

DSC_4216.JPG

DSC_4214.JPG

DSC_4214.JPG

DSC_4211.JPG

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It just has a little more momentum now, that's all....:D:D:D:D:D

Let us know if back-budding occurs further back, or more towards the ends of long shoots you pruned, ok?:cool::cool:

Great material...but.....is that an empty space at the roots? I think I can see the other side of the pot.....will you plant lower?:) Or is that a feature you intend to design around?:confused:

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score

Let us know if back-budding occurs further back, or more towards the ends of long shoots you pruned, ok?:cool::cool:

Great material...but.....is that an empty space at the roots? I think I can see the other side of the pot.....will you plant lower?:) Or is that a feature you intend to design around?:confused:

I think tree will be potted lower so empty space between the two trunks will be hidden by substrate and moss eventually.

Pachycaul

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Maros- Wonderful description of your developmental process, and a beautiful tree. Very skillful ramification. Enjoyed the story on your blog as well. Very inspiring! Maybe there's hope for my hornbeams as well. Thank you !

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wish we had Korean hornbeam yamadori in my neck of the woods
I believe that Maros's Hornbeams are all European Hornbeams, not Korean. There's also Oriental Hornbeam in eastern Europe, which is slightly better for bonsai I believe.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score

Now it is about one month since defoliation, here is the result. Some back budding on old wood. Few lost branches inside the crown. Some new growth inside the crown as well. So, mix of all. Doing fine so far.

DSC_4960.JPG

DSC_4959.JPG

DSC_4970.JPG

DSC_4964.JPG

DSC_4969.JPG

Maros- Wonderful description of your developmental process, and a beautiful tree. Very skillful ramification. Enjoyed the story on your blog as well. Very inspiring! Maybe there's hope for my hornbeams as well. Thank you !
Thanks for compliments mate.

I believe that Maros's Hornbeams are all European Hornbeams, not Korean. There's also Oriental Hornbeam in eastern Europe, which is slightly better for bonsai I believe.

Peter, you are right I have mostly Carpinus betulus/ common hornbeam. But if you search my blog you'll find out I have one Orientalis as well (I wish I have more, they could be great). They are native in Southern Europe, even if they seams to be fully hardy in our harsh winters they are not growing in wild here (no collecting in our woods). And I have no Korean hornbeam, also no native to our area.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Let me tell you a few words about this hornbeam and its fate since my last post about it. The tree was sitting in its plastic bowl since 2011 (and I do not remember if the roots were worked since then).

This spring when I got a few new pots I dedicated one to the Gemini. It was about the right time. As you can see the "before" pictures buds were huge already. The tree was poted into a lighter mix with prevailing Terramol and pumice, as always with rough peat and Osmocote fertiliser directly added to the mix. Roots were edited during the occasion.

Then it was left untouched to regain strength. It sprouted vigorously right away and was cut back in spring already. Now the tree was edited, mainly the top of the crown of the taller tree, more light should enter inner sections of the crown to enhance back budding.

The second crown is developing slowly, and as I was writing several times about it, the plan is to have the second tree (which is lower for now) to be a bit higher than the high tree now. Development of the structure takes time but I hope I will get there in about 5 years from now.

DSC_8004.JPG
DSC_8006.JPG

DSC_8008.JPG

DSC_8005.JPG

DSC_8007.JPG
DSC_7197.JPG

DSC_7195.JPG
DSC_7192.JPG
DSC_7189.JPG

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Let me tell you a few words about this hornbeam and its fate since my last post about it.

I didn’t want to read anymore after that first line. It sounded like the tree was firewood. A beautiful tree as it is that I can only see getting better in your hands. You sent me on an emotional roller coaster haha.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
I didn’t want to read anymore after that first line. It sounded like the tree was firewood. A beautiful tree as it is that I can only see getting better in your hands. You sent me on an emotional roller coaster haha.
Sorry for my poor English, I thought the word "fate" bears a positive connotation as well. Heve to talk to my English teacher about the meaning.

Awesome tree!
Well done!

Still got that crossing root???

Thanks. Root maybe stay there. I will see ;)

Very beautiful :)
Thanks, Ingvill :)

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Sorry for my poor English, I thought the word "fate" bears a positive connotation as well. Heve to talk to my English teacher about the meaning.
It can mean a positive. Your wording was not incorrect. The word fate is often used as something being out of our control, ie death. Unfortunately it seems that most, if not everyone has had an untimely fate with their bonsai.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Thanks. Root maybe stay there. I will see ;)

Thanks, Ingvill :)

I was also very worried when I first read that.. but no one is ever sore, if they expect bad news but given good :).
If you expect good but given bad, that’s a different story.

This is an awesome tree.. this is my first read. I picked up a chunky hornbeam from Bobby, on this forum so I’m in research mode now. This topic and others of yours I’m going to read, will be very helpful :).
Thinning the branches when they are vigorous like that, to allow light in to promote further budding and health... something I knew about but good to relate to this species and I’ll make sure to do when needed.

In your first post, you had a countable number of branches then it exploded with growth in to countless branches! I’ve read they are vigorous growers, I hope to get that too :).

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
This is an awesome tree
Thanks

In your first post, you had a countable number of branches then it exploded with growth in to countless branches! I’ve read they are vigorous growers, I hope to get that too :).

It is quite easy to get to the point of having many branches, much harder to maintain it, though

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Its quite a while since the post about this hornbeam. Yesterday I was removing last dry leaves and did few cuts here and there. I made shots in the occasion. This tree was collected exactly 10 years ago. Obviously, it needs another ten to shine. But I think we are getting there.
DSC_0110.JPG

3.%2BCarpinus%2Bbetulus%2B33.jpg

DSC_0111.JPG

DSC_0112.JPG

DSC_0113.JPG

DSC_0114.JPG

DSC_0115.JPG

DSC_0116.JPG

DSC_0117.JPG

DSC_0118.JPG

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Very impressive. You’re going to give someone an aneurysm with that crossing root since it’s not “textbook” . . .

All the more reason to keep it in my humble opinion ;)

Top Bottom