Hornbeam ? Or something else

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I could use some help or confirmation on identifying this tree. I thought it was a beech when I collected it. As it is in an area with hornbeams, elms and beech. I collected some certain hornbeam, this one confused me with the horizontal banding on the trunk. The leaf and buds match another hornbeam growing in my landscape. IMG_20180410_141736.jpgIMG_20180410_143358.jpgIMG_20180410_141551.jpg

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you both, it's got a wonderful trunk either way. I suppose in a matter of years I could confirm Ostrya Virginiana by the hops.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The hophornbeam has a coarser leaf that is lighter green in color. When mature it has a nice, rough bark; very attractive. Somewhat difficult to lift in larger size. In winter the leaves do not form an abscission layer, so the leaves persist in a fashion similar to beech - this makes it easy to spot them in winter.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The hophornbeam has a coarser leaf that is lighter green in color. When mature it has a nice, rough bark; very attractive. Somewhat difficult to lift in larger size. In winter the leaves do not form an abscission layer, so the leaves persist in a fashion similar to beech - this makes it easy to spot them in winter.
The hanging leaves certainly helped with my misidentification. I'd guess you're correct with that additional information.

Anyone know how long it takes for collected hophornbeam to bear catkins?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I hope you have success with this species...
"Long neglected because of its reputed difficulty in transplanting and its slow growth, hophornbeam rewards those who make the effort by providing years of trouble-free service."
http://nysufc.org/urban-tree-merit-american-hophornbeam/2018/02/01/

Here it mentions at what age it produces fruit. Unsure if correlates with catskins...
"Male and female parts of the hop hornbeam appear on the same tree, and begin to bear fruit around age 25. In late summer, clusters of 1 to 3 male staminate catkins begin development at the end of branches."
http://chasingtrees.net/?p=1637

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I could use some help or confirmation on identifying this tree. I thought it was a beech when I collected it. As it is in an area with hornbeams, elms and beech. I collected some certain hornbeam, this one confused me with the horizontal banding on the trunk. The leaf and buds match another hornbeam growing in my landscape. View attachment 186217View attachment 186218View attachment 186219
The leaf is certainly similar. I'm no expert, but we do have a fair amount of American Hornbeam here (in pockets) - and your trunk has none of the rippling/muscling that American Hornbeam has. Nice trunk - good luck.

Tall Guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definately hophornbeam, hornbeam have very smooth muscular looking bark, see pic. DBA9F352-88BE-43FF-B2A3-7900FCE19E59.jpeg

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hop Hornbeam! Although no catkins to date this tree is looking alright. Tends to get powdery mildew each year. Hate to disturb it but would love to see it in a pot. It's been growing in a trash soil for several years now. 20230711_185825.jpg20230711_185904.jpg20230711_191059.jpg

Kaleb

Seedling
Reaction score
What is the easiest way to propagate hop hornbeam?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
was just hacking mine apart today. Fall color last year was so insane. Do you get a crazy golden color on yours too?

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
was just hacking mine apart today. Fall color last year was so insane. Do you get a crazy golden color on yours too?
I can't remember anything notable on color, I'll have to pay better attention this year

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We have a lot of hop hornbeam, called hardhack here in New England, growing in our forests. They are mostly straight in the trunk and seem shortlived to me, as they are a common dead fall across trails. Those deadfalls usually have trunk diameters of 4 to 8 inches. The wood is wonderful for firewood. I have a few I can think of in hedgerows that get full sun that are fairly large and have interesting shapes. I have never tried lifting any to start a prebonsai.

Top Bottom