Hornbeam Pot Problem.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So its been 12 years since its been in that pot. Never repotted. It had started to show signs of stress and lost a back branch last year while tending to my wife and a water problem that popped up. The tree recovered but I knew it was weak and decided that it needed a repot.

The tree at repot

014.JPG

The roots were very compact and try as I might I was not able to free it from the pot without doing major damage to the roots. Only solution, smash the pot off.

016.JPG
019.JPG

One can tell that the pot had a very large inward turning lip on the pot. A full 1/4 inch.

017.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The roots were a solid block. Absolutely no soil in the pot. The tree had consumed everything.

021.JPG023.JPG024.JPG

After combing out the block, and doing a lot of work in the process , it was noted that the roots had circled the pot four times.

027.JPG

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The tree was planted into a new Yozan signature container. Much larger and more suitable to the tree. Should be good for another twelve years:cool:;)
You must have actually heard those roots give a sigh of relief. Looks much happier now.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any recollection of type of soil mix so completely consumed?
Poor lil' pot!!:(

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any recollection of type of soil mix so completely consumed?
Poor lil' pot!!:(
All the akadama was gone. Back then it was about 60% aka and 40 grit. Some grit was there in the middle.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the new pot ok, I liked the old one better though. Something about the rectangle and the depth of that white pot really worked with that chunky little trunk.

Top Bottom