Hornbeam potential

Driver170

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi Peeps :) hope you are all well !!!

Needing a little input with this hornbeam please.

I'm loving the Uro and thickness of this trunk. but just a little unsure of the branch structure, what should go or stay?

Attachments

• IMG_3169.JPG
    IMG_3169.JPG
    396.6 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_3170.JPG
    IMG_3170.JPG
    322.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3171.JPG
    IMG_3171.JPG
    363.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3172.JPG
    IMG_3172.JPG
    398.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3173.JPG
    IMG_3173.JPG
    329.1 KB · Views: 112

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
American Hornbeam? I have one and I really like them. It is hard to tell from the photos due to the leaves, it looks like it is in the beginning stages of creating structure, so, I would just let it grow and maybe post some more pictures of it when it is leafless this winter so the branch placement and trunk can be better seen. You could, while letting grow, cut some of the longer branches back to two or three pairs of leaves to let some light in. Here is a thread on how I handle mine, https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/american-elm.23366/ , I know it is titled American Elm, but it was identified incorrectly, it is actually a hornbeam.

John

Driver170

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi i did trim back alot of growth that was quite long and thats grown out of the trees silhouette. I do have a mix of thick branches and thin branches coming from the trunk. And it has a nice bit of dead wood running down the trunk too.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi i did trim back alot of growth that was quite long and thats grown out of the trees silhouette. I do have a mix of thick branches and thin branches coming from the trunk

Driver.....
Ahem!

Growth driver!

Next year....the quote should read like this.

"I do have a mix of thick and thin branches coming from the trunk, so I pruned it appropriately to increase the size of the lower branches, and keep the top ones smaller!"

Remember thicker on the bottom thinning proportionately as you go up!

That cut you made on this right branch may give you a bud back near green...20170803_042617.jpg

Looks like you got a good fork at the other side, but you may get one in a more appropriate spot...

I'd be looking for them to cut back to at the red sometime next year, even if you don't get another bud, you may after that red cut.

That right branch then would be "set to proper nexts" as I like to call it.

If there is anything below that one, don't prune it till it's thicker than the other.
If that left branch is the next up, it seems real close to a perfect next size up.
Continue cutting back the top with this diminishing thickness in mind. (At pruning time next year.)

It should be MAD healthy first! Or wait!

Ah this one here....
20170803_044545.jpg
That branch needs to be observed carefully.
It aint helping the swelling around that apex.
It's kind of intensely flawed, but it is hiding, so if it is not causing bulge, you can keep it for depth back there.

But it looks like it can go in favor of that little branch.
(Next year)
Kinda looks like a bit more DW can be grinded out around it also to lessin that bulge.

I've had success changing branch sizes by partially defoliating thicker ones thru out the year, and letting smaller ones run.

However, I had a recently collected Hops Hornbeam (yes different) get even thicker after removing some leaves..
So this isn't always perfectly predictable.

Make tests on branches that will be removed!

Anyway....this is a wicked pimp tree.

Peep some @BobbyLane threads.

@ConorDash got a hint of Bobby and he's bloody better for it!

UK all day!

Sorce

Driver170

Shohin
Reaction score
That right hand thick branch i did cut it back further along to shorten it as the previous owner had it wired and making it swoop to the back. I will provide more photos soon as i done more appropriate prunning

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
How strong is this tree? This tree appears weak to me and why is the trunk black? I would treat the tree and try and clean up the trunk if you can. It's hard to tell but something seems off to me and the tree really need to grow and become strong.

Driver170

Shohin
Reaction score
Its not the best looking tree and you are right. I'll buy deadwood preserver for it at Kaizenbonsai.

Attachments

• IMG_3249.JPG
    IMG_3249.JPG
    407 KB · Views: 63

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Honestly I would not touch it right now and treat it as a preventative and let it grow this year. Then in spring repot into a better container or a flat and let it get strong again.

Driver170

Shohin
Reaction score
This picture i could remove the top large thick branch and have the smaller thin branch on the left takeover?

But only remove the large one when health dictates

Attachments

• IMG_3250.JPG
    IMG_3250.JPG
    282.9 KB · Views: 59

Driver170

Shohin
Reaction score
Honestly I would not touch it right now and treat it as a preventative and let it grow this year. Then in spring repot into a better container or a flat and let it get strong again.

I totally agree with that. The pot its in isn't even a garden pot hes used a washing bowl! Why do people go cheap on bonsai, WHY?

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I actually thought the washing bowl wasn't too bad lol. It's shallow, quite wide, just as long as it had a load of drainage holes!

I like the tree, I don't think it's bad at all. I like the nebari, very cool.

I concur with other statements, health first. Set the tree up well and be better for it in the years to come.
I've a maple which I've had since May last year, not touched except repotted. Waiting for it to get healthier and stronger.
This year winter it's gonna get cut back a lot.. or chopped.. no more waiting!

I got the same feeling that Giga described, something's off. Trunk looks a bit too black. Needs a clean, maybe like sulphur solution. Not sure if there's a good or bad time for lime sulphur but I know it cleans things up well.

You need a good opinion from @BobbyLane , hornbeams and beechs are most certainly his thing.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I actually thought the washing bowl wasn't too bad lol. It's shallow, quite wide, just as long as it had a load of drainage holes!

I like the tree, I don't think it's bad at all. I like the nebari, very cool.

I concur with other statements, health first. Set the tree up well and be better for it in the years to come.
I've a maple which I've had since May last year, not touched except repotted. Waiting for it to get healthier and stronger.
This year winter it's gonna get cut back a lot.. or chopped.. no more waiting!

I got the same feeling that Giga described, something's off. Trunk looks a bit too black. Needs a clean, maybe like sulphur solution. Not sure if there's a good or bad time for lime sulphur but I know it cleans things up well.

You need a good opinion from @BobbyLane , hornbeams and beechs are most certainly his thing.

Nothing wrong with the washing tub, it looks a lot like the oil change pans that I use for training pots.

I don't think that there is too much wrong, just maybe clean the trunk with a tooth brush and water, and see what you have when you are done, I don't know much about cleaning with lime sulfur except for deadwood, oh, and it stinks--so make sure you wear gloves and are in a well ventilated spot.

Health is the main reason why I mentioned just letting it grow for the rest of the summer and evaluate in the winter when there are no leaves.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks like someone has taken a blow torch to it rather crudely i think that would exlpain the blackened wood. Bit tricky to see whats goin on with all the leaves its not very clear. But yeh in building branch structure on deciduous you prune harder in the crown...check out G potters video on pruning deciduous trees.

Top Bottom