Hornbeam thead graft

OTown

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I collected this hornbeam in 2020 and it gave me braces is several good locations. However, one side was bare. I decided to thread graft it and thought I would share my progress.

This is the photo from March 2022 when I did the thread. I had to bend a pencil size branch about 30 degrees to get the whip I threaded into position. The hole was drilled starting at the exit point so it stayed nice and clean.. The whip went about 8" through the hole with about 6 intact buds.

Attachments

• 20220306_085949.jpg
    20220306_085949.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 194

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I collected this hornbeam in 2020 and it gave me braces is several good locations. However, one side was bare. I decided to thread graft it and thought I would share my progress.

This is the photo from March 2022 when I did the thread. I had to bend a pencil size branch about 30 degrees to get the whip I threaded into position. The hole was drilled starting at the exit point so it stayed nice and clean.. The whip went about 8" through the hole with about 6 intact buds.
Very nice! Looking forward to the current pictures.
I was looking to see if anyone had thread grafted hornbeam last year and did not find much information. I ended up just doing a bunch (5 thread grafts) using some information from the "grafting 101" thread. All grafts took on the European hornbeam and one out of two for the Korean hornbeam and one successful one try for an American hornbeam. So they seem pretty reliable to thread graft. Good luck with your design!

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I thread grafted my American Hornbeam, but the thread graft died , so I’m growing out branches to do next spring before bud break , I did it during growing season so I think the trick is to thread before buds open and to thread graft it wide enough to not tear branchlet

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ive still never tried this. I guess ive just been lucky in always having material with branches where I need them.

OTown

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Here is the thread today. You can see the branch with some 6mm aluminum wire that i had to bend. Pro tip...drill your hole the right direction so you have a clean hole on the exit hole. I also stuck a small piece of bamboo on the top of exit hole so you get the cambium contact with the branch. The bamboo is on the top so it works with gravity.

Attachments

• 20220827_191125.jpg
    20220827_191125.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 159
  • 20220827_191111.jpg
    20220827_191111.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 139
  • 20220827_191057.jpg
    20220827_191057.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 164

OTown

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I thread grafted my American Hornbeam, but the thread graft died , so I’m growing out branches to do next spring before bud break , I did it during growing season so I think the trick is to thread before buds open and to thread graft it wide enough to not tear branchlet
I think my thread worked so well for a few reasons. I waited until the buds were close to pushing out. That was early March for my area. I had a long whip to work with and I got several buds through the hole undisturbed. I also got good contact between the cambium and the whip. This was possible because the whip was thin at the tip and tapered to just under the size of my hole.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Appalachian bonsai has a good YouTube video on thread grafting an American Hornbeam. I have 3 I’m going to attempt this spring, hopefully they all take.

OTown

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Appalachian bonsai has a good YouTube video on thread grafting an American Hornbeam. I have 3 I’m going to attempt this spring, hopefully they all take.
Yes, I would recommend this video too. I watched, did some reading, and asked a few people from my local club before I gave it a go. Hopefully those reading this find this helpful!

OTown

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This photo was taken today. First styling was completed right after Thanksgiving as the leaves were turning color. Styling was a collaboration with my mentor Nacho Marin who teaches classes here in FL twice a year. The thread grafted branch is the one on the left side of the tree. I would say it worked!

It would definity be a different tree without that branch.

Attachments

• 20231214_151438.jpg
    20231214_151438.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 93

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Good to see that thread graft took. I have another year of mine unless they are super strong next growing season. Did you completely cut yours off or did you take chunks out

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
How long did you wait to separate the graft? I currently have a thread graft in a european hornbeam I've left attached since last march.

OTown

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
How long did you wait to separate the graft? I currently have a thread graft in a european hornbeam I've left attached since last march.
I left it longer than it probably needed...18 months. I knew it was ready when the insertion side was smaller than the exit side. It was about twice the thickness.

Top Bottom