hornbeam yamadori in winter

bubi

Seed
Reaction score
Hello, today 02. januar 2023 due to various circumstances I had to dig up one hornbeam yamadori. (they were cutting down the forest) Although it is not the season for harvesting because it is winter here, the weather is extremely warm 16c, and the ground is not frozen. What action should I take to improve the tree's chances of surviving until spring. Thank you.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello, today 02. januar 2023 due to various circumstances I had to dig up one hornbeam yamadori. (they were cutting down the forest) Although it is not the season for harvesting because it is winter here, the weather is extremely warm 16c, and the ground is not frozen. What action should I take to improve the tree's chances of surviving until spring. Thank you.
hornbeams are tough plants used as hedging in the UK. now is the time between nov to march known as the bare root season when they dig them up to sell on here. not sure where you are tho.
keep it in moist not wet soil, out of wind in a sheltered spot. anywhere under the benches is fine.

bubi

Seed
Reaction score
Does this hornbeam yamadori have any potential and do you see it in some kind of bonsai pot in 10 years? Please give me an assessment and advice.

Attachments

• 321485060_1187164701898801_6133663610091001806_n.jpg
    321485060_1187164701898801_6133663610091001806_n.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 65

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That ones got great movement and taper if it makes it it will make a fine bonsai.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Does this hornbeam yamadori have any potential and do you see it in some kind of bonsai pot in 10 years? Please give me an assessment and advice.
That looks good.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plant it in a container with coarse substrate. Plant deeper thank you want it eventually. Keep out of full sun & wind untill springpush has extended a bit. This year, just let it grow. Next year, cut it toa side-branch just above the second curve, and off you go.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looks like a nice find! Type in your location into your profile and that can help people give you some more region-specific advice.

You didn't mention what type of hornbeam it is, but I think most have good survival rates post-collection.

As others have said - plant it in coarse substrate (I use pumice between 1/4 to 3/8 inch). Choose a container roughly a half inch to an inch wider than the diameter of the rootball (much bigger than that and it will not dry out quickly enough = poor root growth) and deep enough that you can completely cover all of the roots. Tie the tree in to the container and chopstick in the new soil to fill in any gaps under the rootbase as you would during any repot.

Safest is to try to keep the tree out of direct winds and between 33 - 42 degrees F until the buds pop. I've had pretty good success with collected American Hornbeams mainly keeping them out of the wind and keeping them above ~25 F.

Sometimes newly collected trees don't pop their buds until a month or even up to 3 months after usual - so don't despair if you don't see buds swelling in March or whenever the usual time is.
Good luck!

Top Bottom