Hornbeam

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was lucky enough to work with Jim Doyle and Walter Pall last Sunday at Nature's Way Nursery in Harrisburg, PA. I got to work on some amazing (and expensive!) conifers, but chose this hornbeam to be my own. Here it is, with what I believe to be the future planting angle, after it's first wiring.

Attachments

• wp 1574 3.jpg
    wp 1574 3.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 203

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Must have been a great day! Also nice to bring home a new victim! I wish I knew they were there as I need a break from the home renovation and that is an easy drive for me.

Grimmy

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It was a great time. Wish I could have been there for more than one day.

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here is an update of the tree as it stands today. In front of it site the Sara Rayner pot I purchased for it. I will do the repot next year.

I am trying to pull some of the larger branches into better locations using guy wires and have identified a few more branches that I intend to remove at some point. I'm pleased with how the image of the tree is coming along and welcome any feedback forum members may have.

Attachments

• wp1574 up pot.jpg
    wp1574 up pot.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 95

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
If this were mine, I would shorten all of the branches -- a lot. They're all the same caliper and have no real taper. It will re-bud.

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If I were to take that path, what do you feel is the appropriate time of the season to do so?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Now oughta be OK. It's still spring.

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
Very cool, is this Korean or American hornbeam?

If i could make one critique... I have to say the trunk is kind of distracting, the way is positioned in the second pic, the left side is very straight up and down, perpendicular to the ground. And on the right side, closer to the base you have some reverse taper going on. I think you can still fix these things though You already started a big carve job, so why not fix that reverse taper with the carving. And possibly consider adjusting the angle of the trunk so the left side isn't at such a harsh 90 degree angle. Just my 2 cents though. It was hard for my eye to wander off the trunk to appreciate the rest of the tree.

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It is Korean Hornbeam.

It won't be planted at that angle. I had a hard time getting it propped up the way I wanted it to be. As for the reverse taper, that will be corrected with further carving and a rotation of the tree when potted.

As for the branches, I'm still considering how to proceed.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. You've given me a lot to consider.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Hornbeam aren't the ideal tree for carving. The wood is hard, but not immune to rot. You've carved it a lot. That seems to me to get in the way of one of the best features of the hornbeam -- the muscled bark. I'm not sure I could recommend any more carving than has already been done.

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The tree needed carving and will need additional carving because the trunk was rotten and dead on that side. It was unavoidable for the health of the tree. Certainly, this tree will never be a standard bonsai in appearnce, but that's not why I purchased it anyway.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Understood, but just remember, it was "rotten and dead." It'll do it again.

Top Bottom