Horrible wind knocked juniper in pool

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Made it through winter, counting down to spring. Had my dormant trees on my deck and a bad storm blew my juniper into the pool and a cutting as well (Chinese elm.) Was in it completely submerged less than 24 hours but still. All the winter chemicals, chlorine etc. Was my first tree, can it survive?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Chlorine is not generally toxic to trees but unsure of any other winter pool treatments.
Underwater for a day or 2 is also no problem.
Flushing well with several thorough waterings is a good idea.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Chlorine is not generally toxic to trees but unsure of any other winter pool treatments.
Underwater for a day or 2 is also no problem.
Flushing well with several thorough waterings is a good idea.
I agree that Chlorine is not as toxic to plants as we think. It's better to find out what else is in that water. I assume it's not a saltwater pool?

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I agree that Chlorine is not as toxic to plants as we think. It's better to find out what else is in that water. I assume it's not a saltwater pool?
Winter algicide and chlorine that's pretty much it. Should I change the soil maybe?

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Winter algicide and chlorine that's pretty much it. Should I change the soil maybe?
You would need to change all the soil and wash the roots if you chose to change soil. I think if the current soil is free draining. You can just water heavily for a day to flush chemical out. But I would do it multiple times in one day instead of stretching out to several days cause you want to flush quickly and then let the soil dry a bit so the roots can breath.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
I dont think there are any reason to panick, it probably will be fine. If it was saltwater then yeah I would freak out xD

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
No, I don’t think you should change the soil. Dilution is the solution to pollution in this case. Get a big plastic tub, fill it with enough fresh water to completely submerge the rootball, and then put the tree in to soak for a while. Water-soluble chemicals will diffuse until equilibrium is reached between the concentration in the rootball and the concentration in the water in the container (which was initially zero). Any residual amount bound to soil particles is likely to be small and also unlikely to cause further troubles because it’s tightly bound (or it would’ve leached out). Any chemical burns that might’ve already happened to the roots can’t be helped, but at least giving the rootball a soak should put a stop to any ongoing harm.

Zerobear

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Made it through winter, counting down to spring. Had my dormant trees on my deck and a bad storm blew my juniper into the pool and a cutting as well (Chinese elm.) Was in it completely submerged less than 24 hours but still. All the winter chemicals, chlorine etc. Was my first tree, can it survive?
As someone else said, rinse it well and it should be ok. Hopefully no limbs were broken.

Top Bottom