HorseloverFat’s “Azalea 2020-2025” contest entry... well possibly. ***DROPPED OUT***

Status
Not open for further replies.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I see two “nubs”... 😬 no green yet.. it bothers me SLIGHTLY.. because my other RHODIES from my “three flowering trees in a trench coat walk into a bar” thread have already budded out (as i posted pics of).

But this is “meatier” where the buds would have to push through. She is drinking well... i’ll post pictures of her “nubs” tomorrow.. ( 🤭 ) as to offer another chance at surprising me in the night. (Dear Lord 🤦🏽‍♂️)

My post should be examined CONTEXTUALLY!

😀😀

Clorgan

Omono
Reaction score
I see two “nubs”... 😬 no green yet.. it bothers me SLIGHTLY.. because my other RHODIES from my “three flowering trees in a trench coat walk into a bar” thread have already budded out (as i posted pics of).

But this is “meatier” where the buds would have to push through. She is drinking well... i’ll post pictures of her “nubs” tomorrow.. ( 🤭 ) as to offer another chance at surprising me in the night. (Dear Lord 🤦🏽‍♂️)

My post should be examined CONTEXTUALLY!

😀😀

I'm sure it'll happen - I was just curious!!

Can't wait to see her nubs 🤪

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Are you going to enter another azalea?

I’ll try... but it would seem I’M FAR too poor for that.. maybe in like 2 1/2 weeks when I “tug” the cuttings I can check... but young squirrels fairly effectively “disturbed” my cutting trays..So I’d LIKE to.

We will see.

:)

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’ll try... but it would seem I’M FAR too poor for that.. maybe in like 2 1/2 weeks when I “tug” the cuttings I can check... but young squirrels fairly effectively “disturbed” my cutting trays..So I’d LIKE to.

We will see.

:)
You just learned from your mistake! Get yourself a scoop of ice cream on a cone....eat it.....then go out and get yourself another plant to enter!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You just learned from your mistake! Get yourself a scoop of ice cream on a cone....eat it.....then go out and get yourself another plant to enter!

Hehe I’m trying... gotta scrape up like 40-50 dollars..

(Don’t laugh... that’s a big deal for me to do)

😂😂😂

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hehe I’m trying... gotta scrape up like 40-50 dollars..

(Don’t laugh... that’s a big deal for me to do)

😂😂😂
Homedepot had them on sale for 50% off.....I got a bunch for $6.88. After they flower they try their best to get rid of them because it costs time and money to move them back from the Homedepot lot to the nursery for the next year.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Damn! I wish I could “GO IN” places... I’m on orders NOT to... most places around here don’t offer plant pick-up.

Bonnie Brooke Gardens (My favorite ((so far)) local nursery offers pick-up.. but they’re probably not going to offer those same kind of specials.. seeing as they are, themselves, a nursery. :)

I’m trying.... Po’folk shuffle.. watch me now.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What about that Encore Azalea ‘Roblee’ Autumn Sangria from your other thread? The three trunk one looks great.

Last edited:

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Oh, you got confused. It is an azalea. Azaleas are classified scientifically in the genus rhododendron. Therefore, many plant labels refer to them as 'rhododendron'; while others refer to them as 'azalea'. But didn't it came in the 'Encore azalea' trademark purple pot?

Yours has a kurume azalea grandparent, a Korean azalea grandparent (resulting in azalea 'Karens'), and the summer bloomer Rhododendron oldhamii 'Fourth of July' (used in most Encore azalea and a 100% evergreen azalea as well) as the other parent.

I meant the 'triple trunk'. Donno why I said 'thin' and then edited it to 'three trunk' (because that sounds like 'tree trunk').

Autumn Sangria will have very large leaves and grow quickly, though. Not dwarf at all like a satsuki.

Up to you, and maybe Pitoon I guess, if you want to use this hardwood cutting, or one of those Roblee/Autumn Sangria ones that you thought were not eligible.

Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Oh, you got confused. It is an azalea. Azaleas are classified scientifically in the genus rhododendron. Therefore, many plant labels refer to them as 'rhododendron'; while others refer to them as 'azalea'. But didn't it came in the 'Encore azalea' trademark purple pot?

Yours has a kurume azalea grandparent, a Korean azalea grandparent (resulting in azalea 'Karens'), and the summer bloomer Rhododendron oldhamii 'Fourth of July' (used in most Encore azalea and a 100% evergreen azalea as well) as the other parent.

I meant the 'triple trunk'. Donno why I said 'thin' and then edited it to 'three trunk' (because that sounds like 'tree trunk').

Autumn Sangria will have very large leaves and grow quickly, though. Not dwarf at all like a satsuki.

Up to you, and maybe Pitoon I guess, if you want to use this hardwood cutting, or one of those Roblee/Autumn Sangria ones that you thought were not eligible.

Awesome! I thought there were “leaf hair” and “pistil count” qualifiers as to maintain “a level playing field”... yes I reeeeallly like that Roblee...

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
No, those where guidelines to differentiate between dwarf rhodies like Baden Baden/Ptarmigan/Mourheim/Blue Tit and whatever other cultivar that on first sight really look like an azalea.

Your plant is 100% azalea and 0% dwarf rhody.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
No, those where guidelines to differentiate between dwarf rhodies like Baden Baden/Ptarmigan/Mourheim/Blue Tit and whatever other cultivar that on first sight really look like an azalea.

Your plant is 100% azalea and 0% dwarf rhody.
THANK YOU! .. THAT’s the “bit” that must’ve had me confused.
🤓

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom