HorseloverFat’s “Azalea 2020-2025” contest entry... well possibly. ***DROPPED OUT***

Status
Not open for further replies.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It has roots.. it’s been transplanted.

I think we were just talking about making a large reduction.. kind of as a joke.. because it’s a very tiny cutting.. at least that’s how I took it... I could be wrong.... i’m often “off-base”

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah.. it only had one.. because it’s a cutting.. (And a pathetic burst at that)

Safe (At this point) to reduce, you think?

Down to those two opened buds...

Or wise to just wait until spring?...

I was going to wait, but if it won’t “shake things up” too much......
The sooner you chop, the sooner it will begin to divert resources to new buds. It will be a surprise to the plant if you wait until next spring and you will get smaller everything. That's smart if that's what you want, or dumb if you want the plant to have lots of buds ready to go next spring. Take your pick.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It is a cutting because it is a cutting. I see two buds at the base. You can let them grow no problem. Just takes two years. There is nothing to chop here if you ask me. There is nothing you can do to give this plant a lot of buds.

I already said I think the Encore azalea should be the entry because this cutting just isn't something you can work on for this competition. The OP bought a plant, pruned it, rooted the cuttings, and then the original plant died. And apparently it died because it was chopped back to almost nothing.

The more resources the plant diverts to current roots and shoots, the more resources the plant will have later on to divert to new buds when it is actually pruned again. You can't make something from nothing.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Great information all around! Thank you!

I absolutely agree that the encore is the better “specimen”, and this cutting has very few prospects.. so if this cutting does not make it, the Encore would “tag in”...Rules are rules, and I’m completely cool with that.

Now, considering that I AM using this cutting.. I actually do not necessarily desire much more budding from below to achieve the look I am “aiming for”.. (aiming low, but aiming none the less)...

So I guess leaving it would fall into the “if that’s what I want” realm.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well, if you want a real learning situation, albeit slow mo for a year... go for the cutting.
If you want an azalea to root, hack, hew and craft into something that might actually look more weighty in four years, then go with the Encore.

The bonus with an Encore is that it they are very hardy and flower all season. The neon pink Autumn Sangria Encore is a pretty fast upright grower considering all. I can't tell from your photo, but some more mature Encore's have bigger, leathery leaves. I've 3 Autumn Twist's in back and they are likely only fit for the side yard as a display.

cheers
DSD sends

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well, if you want a real learning situation, albeit slow mo for a year... go for the cutting.
If you want an azalea to root, hack, hew and craft into something that might actually look more weighty in four years, then go with the Encore.

The bonus with an Encore is that it they are very hardy and flower all season. The neon pink Autumn Sangria Encore is a pretty fast upright grower considering all. I can't tell from your photo, but some more mature Encore's have bigger, leathery leaves. I've 3 Autumn Twist's in back and they are likely only fit for the side yard as a display.

cheers
DSD sends

Thank you! I agree wholly.. :)

But it’s not really a choice, anymore, I entered the cutting first..

And I won’t intentionally kill it..
🤣🤣

So I guess we’ll see what happens.
Time is nothing to an “expired man”
🤓

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mate your attitude is admirable, but you're putting yourself way back by entering this cutting IMO.
I'm sure nobody will mind if you enter the other one. Actually, I think it'll be more fair if you start with something on par with the other entries... ;)
Just my opinion.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There's room for a mame finished tree, too, so if starting with a cutting and expecting to finish with something appropriately small, no problemo!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
(((Update))) My new entry.. or cutting survived my (what I expect to be) seasonally reoccurring late summer skirmish with pests.. and is doing great...

Everyday, I tell her, “Your the prettiest..... you’re going to win that contest”.... 😬...

I just don’t have the heart to be honest with her. 🤣
4D8B1209-4195-402E-8F51-978D3D2BD79B.jpeg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Spring is here and your azalea could be blooming (depending on your location) or starting to leaf out with this season’s flush……it’s time for updates!

I would also like to add at this time we have 3 prizes to award. Many thanks to @Forsoothe! and @Deep Sea Diver for donating. I am also donating a prize as well.

If you are no longer interested in continuing in the Azalea Contest, please let me know so we can close your thread, thanks.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’ll get some pictures of my beat-up contender and his oddly thriving “understudy” next time I go out. :) Sadly, Azaleas got hit HARD in the “frost prison of ultimate thirst” this winter...

I’m still in.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Here we are...

Original Entry3D4E7914-7370-4C4F-906A-4E40F386B175.jpeg
And the cutting I entered in it’s place when I thought the original had perished... both looking reeeal rough after the “Drought in the Frost Prison”F74CE831-6DC3-4BD9-BC57-9D4F2948EECE.jpeg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Your original entry doesn't look like it will pull through. You plan to enter the cutting once the other goes?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes!

I have others too, just in case the cutting doesn’t make it..

I’m pretty determined to “learn” Azaleas. 🤓

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Also have a bunch of what I THINK are Roblee seedlings from me crumbling “spent” flowers over soil in containers...

Also going to be starting a bunch of “Royal Azaleas” once my seeds get here... I’m obsessed with seed theory, also.. ALSO obsessed with “making roots” where there once was NOT.

🤣

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just remember one entry for the contest................so choose wisely my friend! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom