Horticultural Charcoal Brand

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
Ok, I know a lot of people use a splash of charcoal in their mixes. I was going to try using some this year, but I am not sure what to buy. The other thread on this subject went into extreme detail(cypress, I think that was you), which is all well and good for knowing what temps to fire charcoal at etc. but what brands are suitable for bonsai? Currently, I am looking at two products on amazon(free prime)
http://www.amazon.com/Hoffman-17502...241473&sr=8-1&keywords=horticultural+charcoal
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Gold-13...241473&sr=8-2&keywords=horticultural+charcoal

I have inquiries into their companies about the specifics of firing temp, added chemicals etc. If someone has a great product they use, I would like to hear about it. Thanks

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Couldn't you use any lump charcoal?

The natural ones...YES, just break them. Not the briquettes.

I actually bought a big bag (25# I think) from Costco for less than $15.00. I haven't used it yet though. I know it will be messy breaking then sifting it. I intend on breaking them inside smaller bags with a mallet on my concrete patio floor. We will see if it is worth the effort. LOL

Last edited:

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's what I said... Lump charcoal. Lowes and HD sell it for 12 bucks per 20 or 30 pound bag.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That's what I said... Lump charcoal. Lowes and HD sell it for 12 bucks per 20 or 30 pound bag.

That is what Walter Pall uses.

Grimmy

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use the hoffmans too. I tried a bulk place on ebay, but the sizing was all over the place. Big pieces that if I tried to break up, I got a ton of powder.... not worth it. Hoffmans is just the right size.

pwk5017

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6/7
The natural ones...YES, just break them. Not the briquettes.

I actually bought a big bag (25# I think) from Costco for less than $15.00. I haven't used it yet though. I know it will be messy breaking then sifting it. I intend on breaking them inside smaller bags with a mallet on my concrete patio floor. We will see if it is worth the effort. LOL

Im not sure, can you use regular lump charcoal? haha the other thread took it too far I think. All the research that was being presented made it seem like temperature was a HUGE factor in how the charcoal performed. It seems like not all charcoal is created equal. Fired too high, and it didn't support bacteria. Too low, and its hydrophobic and doesn't support a ton of bacteria. Fired just right and its a bacteria machine! So, how do you know the temperature at which your lump charcoal was fired?

patrick

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Im not sure, can you use regular lump charcoal? haha the other thread took it too far I think. All the research that was being presented made it seem like temperature was a HUGE factor in how the charcoal performed. It seems like not all charcoal is created equal. Fired too high, and it didn't support bacteria. Too low, and its hydrophobic and doesn't support a ton of bacteria. Fired just right and its a bacteria machine! So, how do you know the temperature at which your lump charcoal was fired?

patrick

That is wayyyy deeper than I can fathom...I use charcoal that is it. :p

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
All I know is...don't heat it enough and you have wood. Over and you have ash. Do it right and you have charcoal. ;)

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Better CEC than akadama or turface? Is this usually used in soil mixes for conifers or deciduous trees or both?

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score

patrick

Haha, yea really. I'm going to have to reread everything I wrote in that thread again. I was just trying to present all relevant and seemingly credible information on the topic I could find. It took me a while to really track down some half way decent info on the science of charcoal/bio-char. So I figured I'd put it all in one thread... it still confuses me though.

There's this growing supply store here in my town that I went to check out the other week and one of their big things is making custom soils. But I ended up talking to the owner about Bio-Char (charcoal) and this is a topic he's been researching for years and has been working on creating the best version of it. He showed me a few samples that he had, and though he's not really selling it yet it sounds like he wants to give me a bunch for free to try out in my bonsai soil. Almost testing his product. The stuff looks legit. One thing he was saying to me was that the more shine or sheen the charcoal has, the better, and showed me the difference between two kinds.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Haha, yea really. I'm going to have to reread everything I wrote in that thread again. I was just trying to present all relevant and seemingly credible information on the topic I could find. It took me a while to really track down some half way decent info on the science of charcoal/bio-char. So I figured I'd put it all in one thread... it still confuses me though.

There's this growing supply store here in my town that I went to check out the other week and one of their big things is making custom soils. But I ended up talking to the owner about Bio-Char (charcoal) and this is a topic he's been researching for years and has been working on creating the best version of it. He showed me a few samples that he had, and though he's not really selling it yet it sounds like he wants to give me a bunch for free to try out in my bonsai soil. Almost testing his product. The stuff looks legit. One thing he was saying to me was that the more shine or sheen the charcoal has, the better, and showed me the difference between two kinds.

Looks like it can be manipulated...and I am more suspicions now since he is marketing it. Shine or sheen is more related to the quality or hardness of the wood you used to make charcoal out of...not how it was charred. JMHO

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Better CEC than akadama or turface? Is this usually used in soil mixes for conifers or deciduous trees or both?

As far as I know yes re: CEC. And yes to both D & C trees.

There are more intelligent people here you should wait for good answers/input though.

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
Looks like it can be manipulated...and I am more suspicions now since he is marketing it. Shine or sheen is more related to the quality or hardness of the wood you used to make charcoal out of...not how it was charred. JMHO

Maybe he just likes shiny things...

Top Bottom