Horticultural Charcoal Brand

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I believe & agree that the shiny charcoal is better...but because it is made out of better material (wood). :)

Pall uses lump charcoal as it is abundant and acts like pumice as well as lava - no other reason as it does NOTHING for your plants. Large pieces also make for a good filler if needed. Modern substrate could consist of fish gravel and marbles IF you can water and fertilize properly...

Grimmy

"goes gets popcorn" ;)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pall uses lump charcoal as it is abundant and acts like pumice as well as lava - no other reason as it does NOTHING for your plants. Large pieces also make for a good filler if needed. Modern substrate could consist of fish gravel and marbles IF you can water and fertilize properly...

Grimmy

"goes gets popcorn" ;)

If you believe that then fine. I wish your trees good luck.

I don't, so I do different from you. ;)

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you believe that then fine. I wish your trees good luck.

I don't, so I do different from you. ;)

What works for you and what works for me will always be different for a wide variety of reasons my dear friend. Just pointing out that charcoal is inert, lifeless, and lump charcoal has the similar porosity of pumice and lava. To me if you like the color or need a cheap pot filler is its only use...

Grimmy

"more butter" :p

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
I suppose we could just direct people to the other thread if they want the scientific intricacies of what Bio-Char supposedly does or doesn't do... lol.

But to the OP, i cant recommend a specific brand. Hopefully I can test some out this summer though.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ok, I know a lot of people use a splash of charcoal in their mixes. I was going to try using some this year, but I am not sure what to buy. The other thread on this subject went into extreme detail(cypress, I think that was you), which is all well and good for knowing what temps to fire charcoal at etc. but what brands are suitable for bonsai? Currently, I am looking at two products on amazon(free prime)
http://www.amazon.com/Hoffman-17502...241473&sr=8-1&keywords=horticultural+charcoal
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Gold-13...241473&sr=8-2&keywords=horticultural+charcoal

I have inquiries into their companies about the specifics of firing temp, added chemicals etc. If someone has a great product they use, I would like to hear about it. Thanks

I like the Hoffman brand - it is a good size with very little dust. I've never tried the black gold brand so I have no basis for comparison.

Scott

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like the Hoffman brand - it is a good size with very little dust. I've never tried the black gold brand so I have no basis for comparison.

Scott
Scott,

What is the average size of the Hoffmans?

Thanks.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That's good size! Thanks!

BTW, not sharing pics of the convention? Do I have to beg? Pretty please? ;)

It was a great convention - thanks for reminding me. I walked off with a great stand, a wonderful pot, and a couple of azaleas. Lots of pictures here:

https://www.facebook.com/lonestarbonsai

Please like the Facebook page and visit often.

Scott

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Scott

me too. got tired of sifting other types. I can use hoffmans right out of the bag, just not the very bottom of the bag...

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
me too. got tired of sifting other types. I can use hoffmans right out of the bag, just not the very bottom of the bag...

I'm with you Judy - I was so happy to find hoffman's. I was pretty tired of buying charcoal and getting rid of 1/2 of the bag because it was too small or too coarse. Hoffman is great - I use the entire bag and sieve it only for dust.

Scott

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Question for Judy and Markyscott: WHY do you use charcoal in bonsai soil? What I read made me believe that it is only beneficial in terms of creating air spaces. If this is the case, why not pumice? I would presume pumice can be had for less cost.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Question for Judy and Markyscott: WHY do you use charcoal in bonsai soil? What I read made me believe that it is only beneficial in terms of creating air spaces. If this is the case, why not pumice? I would presume pumice can be had for less cost.

Charcoal (biochar) has a very high cec and tons of pore space which can harbor colonies of beneficial bacteria and hold some water. The cec is probably the biggest difference between pumice and charcoal.

Some of the people that promote its use, recommend that the charcoal be "charged" - soaked in water with carbohydrates (molasses/sugar) and nutrients (soluble fertilizer/manure/urine) as this makes the charcoal ready to be occupied by organisms.

I've read that activated carbon, which is charcoal that has been further processed is not as beneficial in horticultural applications. Not sure why. Some data suggests that biochar is not as effective in container culture. Not sure why about that, either, but it could be that raw biochar may initially draw nutrients from the soil.

Go to YouTube and search "biochar" and you will get all kinds of material to watch - some of it will be contradictory.

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Charcoal (biochar) has a very high cec and tons of pore space which can harbor colonies of beneficial bacteria and hold some water. The cec is probably the biggest difference between pumice and charcoal.

Some of the people that promote its use, recommend that the charcoal be "charged" - soaked in water with carbohydrates (molasses/sugar) and nutrients (soluble fertilizer/manure/urine) as this makes the charcoal ready to be occupied by organisms.

I've read that activated carbon, which is charcoal that has been further processed is not as beneficial in horticultural applications. Not sure why. Some data suggests that biochar is not as effective in container culture. Not sure why about that, either, but it could be that raw biochar may initially draw nutrients from the soil.

Go to YouTube and search "biochar" and you will get all kinds of material to watch - some of it will be contradictory.

I think and the way I understand all of the "fuss" over charcoal is a bit dull. Burnt wood to any extent is "inert" and "lifeless" and as lordy pointed out in the USA a bit more expensive then a bag of Dry Stall. Now in Europe where Lump Charcoal is "inexpensive" compared to Dry Stall it makes sense. Being "inert" like pumice here they only thing it can do is hold liquid and fertilizer while allowing air because it of its porosity. Pumice or Dry Stall here is far better at that here. Not a golden rule or rocket science...

Grimmy

"waits for water to boil"...

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

I use it for reasons such as those discussed in this presentation.

http://www.biochar-international.org/images/Pignatello_BLACK_CARBON_SYM_v2.pdf

But there is mixed information out there on its benefit - I understand why one might question it. But there is no evidence that it's harmful, some evidence that it might be beneficial, and the cost is really a nonissue because it is such a small percentage (less than 5%) of my soil volume. So I use it. If you feel as though there is no benefit, it's probably not that big of a deal to not use it.

But the OP asked about Hoffman's. I like it because of the size.

Scott

Top Bottom