Hoshi No Kagayaki Satsuki Azalea

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry, I have no pictures yet, but I just bought a few of these and they are seed grown plants. A little research shows they might be a hard to find cultivar. Anyone have any experience with these?
I should have them the end of next week and I will take pictures.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Need to be aware that any plant grown from seed will have some differences from the parent. Each of your seed grown azaleas will be a new and unique cultivar. Named cultivars can only be propagated asexually as clones to preserve the unique genetic combinations so it does not matter how rare or hard to find the parent is because no seedling is the same.

That does not make seedlings a waste of time. All the named cultivars started out as seedlings and one or all of these could be the next great cultivar. Time to start coming up with great names for them.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is a nice small flower Satsuki! Reputed to be a good grower

I don’t have this Satsuki, but have both its parents. Kakuo and Shiryu-no-homare. Both are good goers for me, yet Kakao is a very Hardy, tiny leaves. wakes up later in the spring out here. Kakapo is almost deciduous in winter. Shiryu-no-homare Is larger, fuller and is pushing well already out here in the cold greenhouse.

Check out this link. Regretfully it looks like he lost his tree. It’s hard to kill azaleas, especially ones of this age.

Interesting how the opinions fly on this link on removing flowers. Personally I remove these asap after blooming out here…. and I have lots.

Happy Friday!
DSD sends

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Need to be aware that any plant grown from seed will have some differences from the parent. Each of your seed grown azaleas will be a new and unique cultivar. Named cultivars can only be propagated asexually as clones to preserve the unique genetic combinations so it does not matter how rare or hard to find the parent is because no seedling is the same.

That does not make seedlings a waste of time. All the named cultivars started out as seedlings and one or all of these could be the next great cultivar. Time to start coming up with great names for them.
This is all well published, thank you.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a nice small flower Satsuki! Reputed to be a good grower

I don’t have this Satsuki, but have both its parents. Kakuo and Shiryu-no-homare. Both are good goers for me, yet Kakao is a very Hardy, tiny leaves. wakes up later in the spring out here. Kakapo is almost deciduous in winter. Shiryu-no-homare Is larger, fuller and is pushing well already out here in the cold greenhouse.

Check out this link. Regretfully it looks like he lost his tree. It’s hard to kill azaleas, especially ones of this age.

Interesting how the opinions fly on this link on removing flowers. Personally I remove these asap after blooming out here…. and I have lots.

Happy Friday!
DSD sends
This more or less confirms the info I was looking for. I think these were from Japan at some time. Thank you for your help. It is very useful to me.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Are you sure they are seed grown? That is unusual for someone to sell seed grown evergreen azalea, especially satsuki.

It also means your azaleas could look like anything. Among satsuki azaleas that were imported to Europe (and the US?) in the last 10 decades, Hoshi no Kagayaki was quite popular. And it is a very good cultivar for bonsai. But with seedlings of Hoshi no Kagayaki, anything is possible. Both solid coloured flowers and white flowers with variegation.
Still, among normal evergreen azaleas Hoshi no Kagayaki is indeed rare, It is not like a bunch of azalea growing nurseries grow and stock it.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
After checking the tree in the linked post out more, the whole thing is a mystery to me. The tree shown in the link I attached previously doesn’t resemble the color of the flowers of Hoshi no Kagayaki, maybe it’s the sport, Koyumi. The shape was similar. It is sort of like the photo of the sport, yet with a much more pronounced whitish center area.

In any event, either it’s a seedling of a deliberate cross and then propagated by cuttings, or a whole new set of genetic material from the Hoshi no Kagayaki gene pool.

I’ll be interested in seeing what the flower of this satsuki looks like.

btw @Pemunbra, woild you mind sharing the source?

Here’s the photo from the satsuki dictionary. The inset shows the sport Koyumi.

3E3603E0-4E2A-4D30-ACD4-0D096137F676.jpeg
cheers
DSD sends

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought 5 plants in 5 inch pots from an eBay seller. All five plants had been partially trained but had growth habit and leaves and buds that looked the same. I'll have them the end of next week. I will track them all on this thread and show them when they flower. Personally I don't care if they are cuttings grown or seedlings. I like the looks of all 5 plants. I plan to train them all for as long as I am able and when it all gets to be too much I will part with them.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I bought 5 plants in 5 inch pots from an eBay seller. All five plants had been partially trained but had growth habit and leaves and buds that looked the same. I'll have them the end of next week. I will track them all on this thread and show them when they flower. Personally I don't care if they are cuttings grown or seedlings. I like the looks of all 5 plants. I plan to train them all for as long as I am able and when it all gets to be too much I will part with them.
They will always have a home with me when you're ready to part with them 😁

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just got a reply from the seller about inquiries I made.
The azaleas are imported from Canada, from a French speaking grower so translation was a bit clipped. They are cuttings of a seedling grown plant selected for flowers without a common flaw which I believe to be flower size. I get this generally but not completely.
So apparently they are clones. It will be fun to develop them, each in a different style, and to propagate them as well.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good information.

btw: Anytime you want to trade cuttings, I’d be up for it. Coild you please add me to you ever growing list?

cheers
DSD sends

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If the original French contains the french words for 'cutting', 'seedling', and even 'selection', it definitely sound they did some hybridization by growing from seed.
Sometimes, people use 'cutting' and 'seedling' interchangeably even in English. But for azaleas that can cause confusion because a seedling can be very different from the parent.

On Facebook I saw a guy in Montreal who imported a bunch of satsuki whips from Japan and build an indoor grow room for winter time.
Maybe if this seedling was grown outside, it is also very winter hardy? Though I think that some parts of Quebec border the great lakes and have milder winters.

Anyway, Hoshi no Kagayaki is both an excellent cultivar and seed parent. Maybe you can ask the seller for a picture of this selection, or even if they have named and registered it. Once you start propagating and selling a selection to customers, it makes sense to name and register. Which is free to do with the International Rhododendron Registry.

As for the thread from 2017, it doesn't look like the azalea from the thread starter is actually Hoshi no Kagayaki. It has white centers. Hoshi no Kagayaki has this really cute and neat flower petal positioning, and slight overlap. The picture from Satsuki Mania shows it well. Also a somewhat dark bright colour.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice!

These trees look very healthy and have the trunks styled so you can attend to the secondary and tertiary branching right off.

I especially like the semi cascade.

Well done!

Cheers
DSD sends

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice!

These trees look very healthy and have the trunks styled so you can attend to the secondary and tertiary branching right off.

I especially like the semi cascade.

Well done!

Cheers
DSD sends
Thank you. It means a lot to me to have done something right and to be recognized for doing it. It goes without saying that the stupid stuff sticks to you.
"The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones." William Shakespeare.
I felt them same way with these azaleas. I was just studying them and the semi cascade may well be a full cascade some day. It is my favorite as well.
I will take photos again when they bloom. The flower is said to be the size of a nickle and the color is a deep hot pink. I prefer more subtle shades, but they should be showy.
Even with the love / hate thing I have about eBay, and most other online sources, it just shows you.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice, looks like they are definitely siblings/clones. Not sure if this looks similar to Hoshi no Kagayaki, based on the leaves.
I definitely see some of the kurume blood in these.

Top Bottom