Hot summer. How do you mist?

Les Petrovics

Seedling
Reaction score
It's a very hot summer. Do any of you mist? Just with water? Anything special for Bonsai?

Les Petrovics

Seedling
Reaction score
just watering, usually at noon. I think the position in my garden (how much sun each plant gets) is more important.
I was advised to spray them also, and am not sure that is essential. For example, I looked at one such spray specifically for Bonsai,
cost 5 Euro, but 25 Euro for delivery :-( This summer has been brutally hot and that is why I ask.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have your trees outdoors (and they should be outdoors in the summer, particularly tropical trees) misting is a potential source of problems -- fungus, mold etc. sets up in foliage under such wet conditions. Outdoor humidity is more than adequate for them.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I find that proper watering is the key to managing bonsai in hot summer climate. Many people do not water effectively and make up for that by watering more often. My trees get watered morning and night each day in summer and do just fine even when we get temps over 40C for a week at a time. Shade will help manage some effects of hot summer.
Really small pots need extra help. Mine sit on a gravel filled water tray so they have access to more water and humidity as the water evaporates.
Water cannot penetrate into root bound pots. Regualr root pruning and repotting reduces summer water problems for me.

Les Petrovics

Seedling
Reaction score
Truly appreciative for the responsiveness. I am a new lover of Bonsai because they give me a sense of calm. Sort of meditative. Hell of a lot better than the tranquilizers we are fed in post-Communist Hungary. I bought a two- stemmed privet ligustrum recently with a tiny bridge between the two stems. I hoped it would do well, and for a long time, it did. It was sort of a meditative wish as a gift to my partner that it would bring us harmony after a troubled time --especially if it flowered!!! My partner is into such romantic ideas, as am I. But it has started to drop leaves, and that is why I reached out this thread. Truly wonderful and helpful site. Brutal hot spell. I ask your advice on what I am learning: 1. Bonsai like one place, some sort of constancy. Moving around seems to bother them?
I used to mist them with a spray bottle on really hot days or in between waterings.
Now I use a super soaker until they all get soaked.

2. Watering on such hot days --Morning and night (is this because it is cooler then)? What of letting ice chips melt into the soil? Such cool moisture seems to help cut flowers last a lot longer. My sense is the Bonsai like it. 3. IN my desperation for the privet shedding, I even brought two led lamps. I use them at night for 6 hours. Is this wise?

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I use a raspberry pi, a relay board, and a rainbird solenoid along with a handful of Linux bash scripts/utilities in my greenhouse for propagation ...but that's probably overkill for what you're wanting.

Les Petrovics

Seedling
Reaction score
Truly appreciative for the responsiveness. I am a new lover of Bonsai because they give me a sense of calm. Sort of meditative. Hell of a lot better than the tranquilizers we are fed in post-Communist Hungary. I bought a two- stemmed privet ligustrum recently with a tiny bridge between the two stems. I hoped it would do well, and for a long time, it did. It was sort of a meditative wish as a gift to my partner that it would bring us harmony after a troubled time --especially if it flowered!!! My partner is into such romantic ideas, as am I. But it has started to drop leaves, and that is why I reached out this thread. Truly wonderful and helpful site. Brutal hot spell. I ask your advice on what I am learning: 1. Bonsai like one place, some sort of constancy. Moving around seems to bother them? . Watering on such hot days --Morning and night (is this because it is cooler then)? What of letting ice chips melt into the soil? Such cool moisture seems to help cut flowers last a lot longer. My sense is the Bonsai like it. 3. IN my desperation for the privet shedding, I even brought two led lamps. I use them at night for 6 hours. Is this wise?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where are you located, generally? East of the Mississippi has no problem with humidity. West is a different story. For myself, the Pacific Ocean mists my plants most days starting around 4 pm.

Sorry, I just assumed you were in the U.S. Prob not the case if you're talking about buying things in Euros.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Glad you're getting the memo ....

You mist it before!

More info Les!

Sorce

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Misting all the time does seem overboard concerning fungus,but I will say my trees seem happier when they are able to get overhead rain from rain events.

Les Petrovics

Seedling
Reaction score
If you have your trees outdoors (and they should be outdoors in the summer, particularly tropical trees) misting is a potential source of problems -- fungus, mold etc. sets up in foliage under such wet conditions. Outdoor humidity is more than adequate for them.
Wish I could have a lawn, or a yard in a breezy place near the woods as I used to, but no such luck, live in the city, and the best I can do is the mercilessly hot cement ledge of a very small terrace. But we still are grateful for life and our blessings, part of which is our beloved Bonsai that despite all, seek to stay alive.

Les Petrovics

Seedling
Reaction score
Misting all the time does seem overboard concerning fungus,but I will say my trees seem happier when they are able to get overhead rain from rain events.
This is another concern/question --I understand if you boil the water then it becomes something closer to rainwater. Or is that a myth?

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is another concern/question --I understand if you boil the water then it becomes something closer to rainwater. Or is that a myth?
Me,personally would not go through trouble.If a small collection I would use spring water.Or let water air out to rid the chlorine.Google your city water report to see if they use chlorine or chloramine.Chlorine airs out rather quickly,but when they add ammonia to make chloramine...can take a month to dissapate.
Actually YOU ARE CORRECT!!
I read boiling will rid chlorine and chloramine quickly(hopefully chloramine also)
Good luck.
Can look into granular fungicide too such as Bonide Infuse granuals.(hopefully can use indoors)
I just started using it and I already like it.
Better than spraying all the time and relying souly on the spray.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No. A myth

From what I'm reading, you're probably overwatering your tree. Soil needs to drain. Ice won't help and may keep the soil even wetter for longer. Soil needs to drain. It shouldn't look like mud. it should look kind of like gravel...Misting the foliage won't keep the tree cool for long, like minutes.

Top Bottom