Hot weather plants - 9a Arizona

Samwise

Seed
Reaction score
Hi,
I’m a total beginner living in the Phoenix valley - zone 9a with low humidity. Can anyone provide recommendations for varieties that would work outdoors for the majority of the year?
I have a covered north facing back porch. I don’t have any south facing windows. I have a 100w LED grow light to supplement if needing to move indoors for part of the summer. Thanks for any advice!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
In it's native country, Japan, they grew native to Japan trees, outdoors, all year round. I would suggest using Arizona native trees, so you can grow them outdoors year round. There's an active Bonsai Society in Phoenix, that can let you know what locals use. @AZbonsai might be able to help.

I enjoy the genus Bursera, the copal trees, actually most are shrubs. They will take full summer sun and survive drought well. Their sap is fragrant. They do not fit classic bonsai shapes, but I like them better than desert rose.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I would also suggest some Australian natives like Callistemon and Melaleuca, both shouldn´t be hard to find and are good with the heat and bonsai techniques.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,
I’m a total beginner living in the Phoenix valley - zone 9a with low humidity. Can anyone provide recommendations for varieties that would work outdoors for the majority of the year?
I have a covered north facing back porch. I don’t have any south facing windows. I have a 100w LED grow light to supplement if needing to move indoors for part of the summer. Thanks for any advice!
Hi Sam. Welcome to Bnut and bonsai. Here is a good list of plants for our neck of the woods: https://phoenixbonsai.com/list-of-plants-as-bonsai/

That is from the Phoenix Bonsai Society website. We have a very active group in the Valley. Everything you need to know about bonsai in the Valley can be found on our website. If you become a member you can get access to even more info and you will meet some great Valley bonsai people. Hope to see you at our next meeting.

Thanks for the mention @Leo in N E Illinois

Samwise

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice. I had found the list on PBS site, but wasn’t sure if it was curated to be Phoenix specific, so that is good to know. Will be looking into PBS in the future!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I got this Bursera at Berridge Nursery on Camelback in Phoenix. It is starting to leaf out now.

Attachments

• 71BA4C06-183E-42B3-82EF-8539190AEA62.jpeg
    71BA4C06-183E-42B3-82EF-8539190AEA62.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 14
  • A56E8B26-FB27-4F2F-AB42-05F9126FA52D.jpeg
    A56E8B26-FB27-4F2F-AB42-05F9126FA52D.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 12

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Localize!

Sorce

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PBS site, but wasn’t sure if it was curated to be Phoenix specific,
Our board members update every so often. You will be good with zone 1 plants as beginner for the most part.

AZ Newb

Sapling
Reaction score
One piece of advice from a Phoenix member that’s a couple years in to Bonsai.
You’re going to kill trees. You’re going to kill a lot of trees. It was enough to almost discourage me from the hobby, however I realized that it’s one of the best and worst ways of learning and becoming better. Definitely join PBS. It has been incredibly helpful, and the members are the best!

Top Bottom