House Money Junipers

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of my ‘house money’ Sabina’s in the works. Just removed initial wiring as it was biting. put back 1 new wire. I’m Not sure where to go with it next.View attachment 494949View attachment 494951
Hey @Eckhoffw . Tree looks healthy that’s for sure. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen you post these one before. If I remember correctly I did a digital mock-up for you? I still think you’re not doing enough to get the tree started on its journey. With Junipers it’s going to require you to wire the tree almost all the way to the tips. Before you wire give it a trim and clean it up. You have everything you need to create a pleasing image, you e just got to go all in. The whole point of “house money” is the idea that if you lose it’s not horrible. With that said though, this tree can and will handle extensive work. It’ll just take you some time.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hey @Eckhoffw . Tree looks healthy that’s for sure. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen you post these one before. If I remember correctly I did a digital mock-up for you? I still think you’re not doing enough to get the tree started on its journey. With Junipers it’s going to require you to wire the tree almost all the way to the tips. Before you wire give it a trim and clean it up. You have everything you need to create a pleasing image, you e just got to go all in. The whole point of “house money” is the idea that if you lose it’s not horrible. With that said though, this tree can and will handle extensive work. It’ll just take you some time.
Often it seems, I get a basic structure going for a tree, but then don’t know how to finalize the design in my mind.

I’ve hesitated to wire to tips because I’ve yet to commit to a final designs, and don’t want to keep re-arranging and twisting.

I’d say you have a gift and/or a learned ability to create nice compositions quickly!
Keep up the good work and inspiring projects.

I had to check back, but I think you made a virt for my old gold juniper. It’s doing well and ready for some work.
May post it later.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This thread is a great inspiration. I've got an old gold juniper that... I kinda hate! I've thought about offloading it a few times, but for now, I'll treat it as house money. I'm thinking I need to follow your footsteps and do something drastic with it--perhaps a raft.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This thread is a great inspiration. I've got an old gold juniper that... I kinda hate! I've thought about offloading it a few times, but for now, I'll treat it as house money. I'm thinking I need to follow your footsteps and do something drastic with it--perhaps a raft.
Post a pic.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
House money tree. Here’s one I may have gone a little hard on, but with proper winter after care it should make it just fine. We’ll see. I do really like the result of the styling. $12 tree at my local wholesale nursery.
View attachment 452390View attachment 452391
Don't wholesale nurseries only deal with vendors, or have I been mistaken? I'd kill to find $12 trees like this 😔

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't wholesale nurseries only deal with vendors, or have I been mistaken? I'd kill to find $12 trees like this 😔
Yes. It’s technically a members only nursery, but operates sort of like a wholesale spot. Best selection in town for sure and everything is a lower price. AND. When I paid my local bonsai club dues, it gets me an additional 20% off at checkout. On everything.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes. It’s technically a members only nursery, but operates sort of like a wholesale spot. Best selection in town for sure and everything is a lower price. AND. When I paid my local bonsai club dues, it gets me an additional 20% off at checkout. On everything.
Wow that's legit. Might be worth a couple phone calls. I always wonder if there are holy grail places with big mature junipers in 15-20 gallon pots, trunks thicker than a Cadillac bumper.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow that's legit. Might be worth a couple phone calls. I always wonder if there are holy grail places with big mature junipers in 15-20 gallon pots, trunks thicker than a Cadillac bumper.
My go to there lately has been Blue atlas cedar.

Bought these last summer.

Attachments

• IMG_8420.jpeg
    IMG_8420.jpeg
    354.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8421.jpeg
    IMG_8421.jpeg
    323.4 KB · Views: 26

Seahunter15

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah those are really cool, especially when there's pretty dense branching.. enjoy 👍
I’m loving your house money junipers on this thread. These inspired me to settle and old score with one of mine. This was nursery stock given to me around five years ago. Repoted in pumice and wired movement into branches but never really saw anything in it. Should make a decent cascade some day IMG_1051.jpegIMG_1076.jpegIMG_1060.jpeg

Top Bottom