House plants for indoor bonsai

Robert Baker

Seedling
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any common house plants that make good indoor bonsai? I currently keep ficus, schefflera and portulacariafra. I’m wondering if there’s anything else out there that grows well by the window in winter. As my wife does not like grow lights and I live in the Midwest.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You could always try chinese elm or its cultivars.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Does anyone know of any common house plants that make good indoor bonsai? I currently keep ficus, schefflera and portulacariafra. I’m wondering if there’s anything else out there that grows well by the window in winter. As my wife does not like grow lights and I live in the Midwest.
I think those are your best bets. Some might mention Chinese elms but without grow lights I don't see them thriving. I have seen Fukien Tea advertised as indoor but I would not recommend them. Too many problems.

Robert Baker

Seedling
Reaction score
I was growing a couple over 20 years ago which were killed buy a buddy who did a lousy watering job while I was out of town. Thank you , I will try again

Robert Baker

Seedling
Reaction score
I think those are your best bets. Some might mention Chinese elms but without grow lights I don't see them thriving. I have seen Fukien Tea advertised as indoor but I would not recommend them. Too many problems

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Your window isn't big enough to cover all the 'Too Little' Varieties. They grow great in or out, or in and out. Any variety of English or Baltic Ivy works, it's collectable, too. There are lots of dwarfs, too. Natal Plum works.

Last edited:

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I stole a leaf off the money plant in the lobby at my 4-year-old's preschool. Trying to root it in water now. Never seen an impressive bonsai made with one, but I figured it should give me something to play with in winter, or keep on the desk at work.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The plants might struggle in just a window and without supplemental lights

What about grow lights does you wife object to?

I personally dont like the pink colored ones but you can get the white full spectrum setups
If its the fixtures she doesnt like, if you have any kind of carpentry expertise (or bribe a friend with said expertise with beer), you could build a shelf that has a lip hanging down from the top most shelf to hide the fixtures and the plants would go below it. You could build something that curios could go on the lower shelves (or make it into a cabinet to store stuff kinda like a hutch) and your plants on the upper shelf below the topmost one with the light. You could make it into a nice accent piece for a room if you have the space for it. Wouldnt be much different than having a fish tank in the room honestly. Otherwise, there is always the basement where I have mine during the winter...lol

Robert Baker

Seedling
Reaction score
The plants might struggle in just a window and without supplemental lights

What about grow lights does you wife object to?

I personally dont like the pink colored ones but you can get the white full spectrum setups
If its the fixtures she doesnt like, if you have any kind of carpentry expertise (or bribe a friend with said expertise with beer), you could build a shelf that has a lip hanging down from the top most shelf to hide the fixtures and the plants would go below it. You could build something that curios could go on the lower shelves (or make it into a cabinet to store stuff kinda like a hutch) and your plants on the upper shelf below the topmost one with the light. You could make it into a nice accent piece for a room if you have the space for it. Wouldnt be much different than having a fish tank in the room honestly. Otherwise, there is always the basement where I have mine during the winter...lol
Thanks for the suggestion. I was once quite handy but 10 years ago I was in a car accident and now I am disabled . Unfortunately I’ve never seen my basement!

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I was once quite handy but 10 years ago I was in a car accident and now I am disabled . Unfortunately I’ve never seen my basement!
My husband also doesn't like grow lights. But the only place I have for my trees is my kitchen. So I switched to the white T8 lights from the pink/purple ones and have them on decorative plant stands, so they look nice.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You could try citrus. But make sure you keep it where it can get as much natural light as possible in winter and then outside in summer.

If you're interested in seeing some unconventional or non-traditional species treated as bonsai, look up Nigel Saunders on YouTube.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've grown rosemary as a house plant. Bonus is that you can cook with what you pruned off :)

Now if I can just teach my wife how to pick off the right bits when she cooks with it...

Top Bottom