How’s Your Entomolgy - BT vs. Certain Lepidoptera

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
So there are a few species of caterpillar in Lepidoptera that are resistant to BT. Being growers of all sorts of things, we (I) try to choose BT because it is considered safe on our native bees and euro honeybees. I’m not the hippy type but try to use sound horticultural practices. I want as many pollinators around as possible.

I am aware that a certain type of bud worm mainly associated with geraniums and the rose slug are considered resistant to BT.

Are you all aware of any other caterpillars that are resistant to BT?

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Resistance against BT (a insecticide based on Bacillus thuringiensis) is quite rare and mostly in species that feed on crops. Caterpillar that feed on trees are unlikely to be resistant.
BT is not harmless but much less harmful than many other insecticides such as neonics (often promoted here but banned in the EU).

Rose slug is not a caterpillar but a saw fly larva and therefore not sensitive to the BT used against caterpilars.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Resistance against BT (a insecticide based on Bacillus thuringiensis) is quite rare and mostly in species that feed on crops. Caterpillar that feed on trees are unlikely to be resistant.
BT is not harmless but much less harmful than many other insecticides such as neonics (often promoted here but banned in the EU).

Rose slug is not a caterpillar but a saw fly larva and therefore not sensitive to the BT used against caterpilars.
Good stuff. I understand the geranium budworm to be the actual tobacco budworm.

Additionally, the whole resistance to BT thing may be a crock as the budworms head is typically feeding with its head buried in the flower material. BT application is applied to the surface of a plant. How would one get the BT into the caterpillars mouth if it’s head is buried for most of its lifecycle? So there is that…

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Indianmeal moth & Diamondback (or Cabbage) moth are resistant

Both are pretty unlikely to be a problem for bonsai, unless you have a broccoli forest 🥦🥦🥦.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
I didn’t know the cabbage looper was resistant, good info for when the veggies get hammered.
Spinosad will do it, however, it is really hard on bees.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Put a call into your local county ag extension agent. They should know what is resistant locally. Every county in the USA has an Ag. Extension Agent who is versed in their county's IPM issues and resistance issues. Your taxes pay for them, use their expertise.

Top Bottom