How about a JBP to prove I'm serious.....

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
This is without a doubt, my best and favorite JBP. No flaws anywhere, no scars, no nothing. Perfect is a big word, and this tree isn't that, but it is the closest I own. I wish my buddy John Kirby was here to see this one, but he fell off the earth somewhere and hasn't been seen for several weeks now. We have this personal thing going regarding JBP's. I still can't believe I own this tree.

Ciao,
Harry

Attachments

• DSC07898.jpg
    DSC07898.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 373
  • DSC07913.jpg
    DSC07913.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 351
  • DSC00151.jpg
    DSC00151.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 350
  • DSC00150.jpg
    DSC00150.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 280
  • DSC00148.jpg
    DSC00148.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 387
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I notice it is very green. Do you protect it from the elements in the summer down there?

Exquisite tree!

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very Nice!

Reaction score
Who can argue with those JBP's?

Harry,

Now you're talking. I've studied with Harry Hirao here in California for several years and one of the pearls of wisdom that really stuck with me are, "let your trees do the talking!" Very nice.

JC

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I notice it is very green. Do you protect it from the elements in the summer down there?

Exquisite tree!

In July ans August, the afternoons are spent in my shade house.

Ciao,
Harry

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice as usual Harry,i also think thats the best pine you have shown pics of,and ive seen alot of them!!LOL you have alot of mini pines Harry:D

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Very nice! Would love to see this tree maintained - i.e. a photojournalistic approach of every time someone touches this tree over the course of a year. I read books and books on JBP, and sit through tons of workshops, but I can never get this tight ramification (yet).

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Very nice! Would love to see this tree maintained - i.e. a photojournalistic approach of every time someone touches this tree over the course of a year. I read books and books on JBP, and sit through tons of workshops, but I can never get this tight ramification (yet).

I agree, Harry would you please post a progression so we can learn your secrets to developing such beautiful trees?

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I agree, Harry would you please post a progression so we can learn your secrets to developing such beautiful trees?

Wish I could, but I didn't develope this tree and couldn't in a million years. If BT comes back up, there are some very good articles on just what you're asking, rather long, but interesting. John Kirby has written about the exact way to answer your question. My goal is to keep them at the very least looking as good as they do now, thanks to Marco and the Bonsai Smiths in Dallas. They put on JBP workshops three time a year. They're SOB's, so they're sharing what they learned from Boon's intensives.As you know JBP are three season trees, fall work, winter work and summer work and the rest of the growing season is just maintenance, thats where I come in. June is decandling month and it just doesn't involve removing all the candles in the summer, you have to know which candles to remove, that's one reason I'm going to ths Smith's June workshop.The smaller the tress are the easier they can get away from you. The tree I posted, doesn't need any improvement in my mind, I just want to keep it looking like it does now.

Ciao,
Harry

Last edited:

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
To me it looks a bit like a poodle, but I do like the tree! It's got a nice trunk and the branches/needles look very manicured....wonderful job!

David

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Just so no one get a twist in thier knickers Harry isn't knocking the Smiths of Dallas , they are just Students of Boon, just I say, I wish I could just be one of Boons students.

Sweet tree by the way Harry, any chance you might want to adopt an heir.:D

Top Bottom