How about some ficus benjamina love? (Let's see yours)

Chris Frechette

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have about 10 small benjis from 4” to 18”... I was going to attempt to clump them tight enough to fuse and start developing the roots in neagari style. How many years approx for the trunks to fuse? Should I keep them bound with grafting tape the whole time?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Been hibernating ?
Haha you could say that, I've had a heck of a year but I'm finally settling down again.
Long time, no see, youngblood!:)

Chloe?

Stay gold!!:cool::cool::cool:
I can disappear from time to time, but I always pop back up!Lol
Chloe bear is doing good, we just got back from some winter camping up in taos.

Aaron

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well...seems I am now part of this Benji club. Picked up what I considered a quirky "Too Little" cultivar. I am assuming this might be my front. It gets shipped out Monday.
For more angles of the trunk...can be found here. https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/too-little-ficus.34781/
image.jpg

Since I am new to this species...and was thinking I am not seeing a whole lot of love for them. This thread was interesting to go through. Not my first tropical...I do have a bougie. Swore off sensitive tropicals back when we had a hiccup with our propane tanks a during the arctic freeze a few winters back. Losing my small collection of tropical trees. I swore off getting time invested in them to possibly lose them to another hiccup up north. Guess...I am less thin skinned now. Because here I sit...in anticipation of this tree.

peh3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have about 10 small benjis from 4” to 18”... I was going to attempt to clump them tight enough to fuse and start developing the roots in neagari style. How many years approx for the trunks to fuse? Should I keep them bound with grafting tape the whole time?

I'm currently trying to do just that. Tied them together about January or so, checked last month to see if anything is happening, and there definitely is. They grow so fast and seem to no care at all about them being tied together.
I checked recently and some already are fused together at the tightest points.
Only thing I would suggest is to make really sure that they are tied as tight as possible without any empty spaces.
When I reapplied tape I also put some wire around it as reinforcement. It looks like the wire is cutting in, making it swell even more, which should make the fusion go even faster.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pardon the bad photos.. I like most of the branches individually, but know I need to consider removing some branches to open it up and enhance the overall image.

Attachments

• E2C98208-D223-4835-8E17-D60FB97B3249.jpeg
    E2C98208-D223-4835-8E17-D60FB97B3249.jpeg
    309.6 KB · Views: 36
  • E12CC0EB-F2C6-4A17-8A34-949DFA89A7EA.jpeg
    E12CC0EB-F2C6-4A17-8A34-949DFA89A7EA.jpeg
    276.9 KB · Views: 45

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Landscape benjamina, probably 60-80 years old. Have you ever seen this kind of rough bark? It’s mostly in bulges and knots. There are some large ones that I was thinking of grafting into and then removing to make a cutting with that gnarly base!

4DED6C38-AA9B-4BC3-BA72-CF1BC556C3B4.jpegD8F9472E-8A1E-453E-A4C0-A6FAA116C9A5.jpeg3F0C130D-4DF4-48BF-A087-FFF648A799AB.jpegA682F27D-051F-48A0-B139-FFF91281BC6A.jpeg

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am not at home to get a photo of my entire tree but here is a close up of some of the leaves. It's small yet - I made it up from several rooted cuttings that I fused together into a single tree. I also kept a cutting that I wired into a single trunk little mame. I'm still in the Grand Tetons and won't be home before next week. I hope to keep rooting more cuttings and fusing them onto my main tree to thicken out the trunk and make it truly gnarly over time. ;)Variegated Ficus in Terrarium.jpg

Top Bottom