How about this bonsai basin?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Your opinion is very insightful, but I can't agree with you about making materials. Purple sand is the best material in all ceramic products. You overlooked a point. Because the cost of materials has been greatly reduced, purple sand flowerpots should be ahead of most flowerpots in materials (even though its materials are not so expensive). Regarding firing, there are products that have been fired twice or even many times. The glaze pot needs to be fired many times because of the glaze water on its surface. It may be very beautiful, but I can say for sure that it is not suitable for most potted plants, because plants also need to breathe. In order to ensure air permeability, purple sand will be mixed with a certain proportion of clay and sand grains, which ensures that the pot is both breathable and permeable. Moisturizing.
As can be seen from the figure, it is not pure clay.View attachment 241732

@YellanBonsaipots Please do not think I am degrading your pots. In fact I really like your unglazed pots as I think they would look great for small bunjin styled trees. I may get a black and brown one from you one day.

My post was about Chinese goods in general. Everyone knows that most mass produced Chinese products are basically junk (one time use items). However that is not always the case, such as Apple products that are designed in the USA and manufactured in China etc… What I wrote was fact you can't deny.

I was also discussing that fact that so many people go out to buy something. They find something they like, but say it’s too expensive because they don’t have the money to buy it. Common sense should say don’t go out looking for something you can’t afford. But people do it all the time and expect those selling to lower their price to meet the buyers budget.

Reaction score
WuXi JiangSuChina YiXing DingShu TaoLiRenChangYuan
@YellanBonsaipots Please do not think I am degrading your pots. In fact I really like your unglazed pots as I think they would look great for small bunjin styled trees. I may get a black and brown one from you one day.

My post was about Chinese goods in general. Everyone knows that most mass produced Chinese products are basically junk (one time use items). However that is not always the case, such as Apple products that are designed in the USA and manufactured in China etc… What I wrote was fact you can't deny.

I was also discussing that fact that so many people go out to buy something. They find something they like, but say it’s too expensive because they don’t have the money to buy it. Common sense should say don’t go out looking for something you can’t afford. But people do it all the time and expect those selling to lower their price to meet the buyers budget.
Sorry, my tone makes you feel uncomfortable, because China has been criticized too much in history, even Bruce Lee can not change this point. But I believe that rough construction does not represent China, because China has the fastest and safest high-speed railway in the world, a bridge across Hong Kong, Zhuhai and Macao, a sky eye, two of the eight wonders of the world, and a civilization of up to five thousand years... This is where I am very proud.

Thank you for your explanation. Thank you.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@YellanBonsaipots I would also recommend to remove those air pockets. If water is to freeze in those pockets the pots will surely crack. The pots need to be vitrified. If not you need to clearly mention that in the description of the pot.

Reaction score
@YellanBonsaipots I would also recommend to remove those air pockets. If water is to freeze in those pockets the pots will surely crack. The pots need to be vitrified. If not you need to clearly mention that in the description of the pot.
Thank you for your advice, my friend. This has given me a new idea. I hope that through the improvement of raw materials, purple sand will be more suitable for use in cold areas.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for your advice, my friend. This has given me a new idea. I hope that through the improvement of raw materials, purple sand will be more suitable for use in cold areas.

This has been a significant problem for me with many Chinese-made pots. I have had a significant number of them simply break, crack all at once, or crumble over time after they've been outside in the winter, exposed to freeze/thaw and pressure from soil freezing inside them--I've also had some that were very good at handling winter. The problem is, it's not easy to tell which pot is going to be OK and which pot isn't. I'd like to know that before I buy one. I have trees that require a cold freezing winter and I don't want to have to remove their pots to overwinter outside.

I happen to like a lot of the pots coming from China. I wish I could trust them more to handle winter without damage, though.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
happen to like a lot of the pots coming from China. I wish I could trust them more to handle winter without damage, though
Same here. This, and the off way postage is calculated make me hold back.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well I will give it a test and see how it goes, but first let me ask will you be adding any larger sizes? I have very few small plants suitable for pots this small. Thanks

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, that would be one I definitely could use. One tip for future development. Pots that have recurved lips like some of yours make it very difficult to remove a bonsai for repotting. You can’t just lift it out, you have to cut along the edge to get it out. Also, if the soil freezes then it cannot expand outwards due to the lip and it can put enough pressure on the lip to crack it. Many bonsai pots have straight sides or even flare outwards a little bit to make repotting easier.

Reaction score
Yes, that would be one I definitely could use. One tip for future development. Pots that have recurved lips like some of yours make it very difficult to remove a bonsai for repotting. You can’t just lift it out, you have to cut along the edge to get it out. Also, if the soil freezes then it cannot expand outwards due to the lip and it can put enough pressure on the lip to crack it. Many bonsai pots have straight sides or even flare outwards a little bit to make repotting easier.
Like this?1.jpg

peh3

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Seems neat, I just ordered a pot from you.
The way the shipping cost handles is a bit weird but surely has its reasons, however I would have probably ordered one or two more if it would adjust.
I'm looking forward to it.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have to find a way to pay for them since they apparently don’t take PayPal, my preferred form for internet shopping. That way my wife never sees how much I spend with credit cards!

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I will certainly get some when/if he solves the cold weather problem

Reaction score
The way the shipping cost handles is a bit weird but surely has its reasons, however I would have probably ordered one or two more if it would adjust.
Yes, because freight increases exponentially rather than linearly as the number of flowerpots increases, it's difficult to price accurately. I'd like to consider a link that only sells 5 or 10 flowerpots.

Reaction score
In fact, the best way is to communicate with us about freight, which is the most accurate way to save freight.

Reaction score
I will certainly get some when/if he solves the cold weather problem
I am contacting authoritative authorities to do a frost resistance test for my purple sand flowerpot. I have never paid attention to this before. There are also customers in Northeast China who bought my flowerpot, but there is no freezing crack (the winter outdoor temperature in Northeast China is around minus 30 degrees Celsius), so I need to make a standard and scientific test.

Doug J

Mame
Reaction score
The company I have bought from has an eBay and an Amazon store. On eBay look for Sunshine Bonsai and I believe their Amazon store is Bonsai Supplies. Here is a link on eBay https://www.ebay.com/str/Bonsai-supplies?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 . Looks like their selection is thinning out so I hope they have another shipment on the way from China. They ship the pots in large boxes that are filled with the expanding foam so no breaks or chips. Their business is located in Cerritos CA and they have gone out of their way for me, even Fedexed me a copy of their catalog. On one occasion the pot I wanted was out of stock on the eBay store so they offered me a similar one costing a bit more for the same price off the Amazon store. I got a 13” for $60 and 15” for $80 and that included the shipping. I just wish they carried more glazed pots. I need to order a couple more so don’t everybody rush in and buy them out! I looked up the pottery operations in Yinxing and they have a history going back over 1000 years.

The additional photos the OP posted of his pots are really nice. Once he gets a price and sales outlet set up I would definitely consider buying one if it is addordable.
I have bought 2 large Yixing Pots from these people on 2 separate occasions, and was quite happy with my purchases. That expanding foam thing seems like a pretty bulletproof way to ship a fragile object such as this.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Doug, do they put the pot in plastic and then surround it with the foam? How do they do that? How easy does it come apart?

Top Bottom