How abstract is too abstract?

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I went out today to collect a few shohin beams and since it didn't take as long as expected, took a stroll into some new territory. I'm glad I did. There are a lot of interesting trunks to consider out there. Unfortunately, I'm about out of space in my garage and may need to build a second bench before the first has been erected.

Anywho, I saw some fun trunks. I may or may not collect them. While I'm admittedly a naturalistic bonsai lover, I'm considering picking up these first two right out of a Dr. Seuss book and styling them as such.The third is more typical material. It's most likely coming home to papa.

Would you dig 'em?

2013-02-04 17.17.07.jpg

2013-02-04 17.18.30.jpg

2013-02-04 17.23.44.jpg

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I'd dig the corkscrew! ( I think you dropped your car key...)

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Yup. The only problem I see with the twisty one is reverse taper, but it's so weird already it probably doesn't matter. What kinda Jeep ya got?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Well Kimura did that upside down Juniper so I think you are safe. ;) I actually really like em.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Berobinson82,

#1 and #2 are hard to tell without seeing the roots. It appears that #1 is better than #2.

#3 looks like a good one to get.

Regards,
Martin

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think #1 would be great if the corkscrew went all the way to the ground. But as it is, it looks like a big corkscrew on top of a little stem. The second one I would definitely get, but I would chop it above the first turn. It has very nice movement and taper up to that point, but has reverse taper in the second turn.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the replies. The first two both have a bit of reverse taper. Like I said, they are not what one would consider typical yamadori candidates. I have enough of those I believe; assuming they pull through in spring.

@PaulH - I had nothing else on me that was standard size!

@Brian - That key isn't just for Jeeps ya know. But yes, I have a Patriot. haha

@Stan - If I recall correctly, the Corkscrew goes almost all the way down. Maybe to about 2 inches or so.

Alright then. I suppose I'll go ahead and dig. Let me show you one more. This one got a chop in the woods. I'm going to trench its roots around May 15th and dig it next February. It's a big one.

2013-01-20 14.00.26.jpg

2013-01-20 14.03.34.jpg

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Any sign of the vine that had been growing around the corkscrew one from early saplinghood?

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Any sign of the vine that had been growing around the corkscrew one from early saplinghood?

That vine is still very much a part of the tree. It's actually a concern. After I dig it, the vine will most likely die leaving ???? behind in the crevices of the corkscrew. Would the cambium layers of the two fuse?

Why do you ask?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I doubt they will fuse. The vines you have there now are probably not the one created the twist...it could have died and deteriorated long ago. JMHO

Top Bottom