How bad are box elders for bonsai?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I mean, are they just terrible? We have a lot of them locally and , quite often, they tend to have nice flared bases and interesting movement in the first foot above the soil line. I realize compound leaves are not great for bonsai, but are there any other things that really make them a "no go"? I'm not looking for show quality, just something I won't mind looking at on my benches.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They're pretty terrible as yard trees too. Very messy, and they attract those horrible box elder bugs which get in our house every fall. I've got one with a very large trunk if you want to try to collect it!

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
The bonsai community is an uneducated gatekeepy toxic community that regurgitates nothing more the confirmation biases half the time and largely uninformed subjective opinions at best. A quick google search will show they make great bonsai. I have several myself.
sarcastic-laugh.gif

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The bonsai community is an uneducated gatekeepy toxic community that regurgitates nothing more the confirmation biases half the time and largely uninformed subjective opinions at best. A quick google search will show they make great bonsai. I have several myself.
I’m calling. Let’s see.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Could they have meant boxwood? I doubt it, but that's the most charitable explanation I can come up with.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You clearly haven't spent much time here.
Suck my penis ill show you in Spring fuck nuts
Wait!.....you have a penis!?!

Doubt it.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually the wood is sought out by wood turners for It’s brilliant red streaks.

View attachment 413297
Ive seen slabs with some of the most brilliant flame pattern.

Wait a sec, maybe the OP could cultivate a bonsai box elder in order to harvest it as a mini slab to make a bonsai stand!! Brilliant! Talk about full circle!

Top Bottom