How bad is this boxwood styling?

Alaskanrocket

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,
So this is my first boxwood, as well as my first attempt at styling/training from Nursery (aka shrub) stock. Im still a little leery of my wiring technique so I chose to use string. Is this a bad method?
Things Ive read on Boxwoods....
They Train easily, they don't train easily.
They're really hardy, they are easy to kill.
Too much de-foliating can lead to die off.
Its pretty confusing to try and figure out from online info what the right path is. I never knew that this could be so complicated, im finding that keeping the trees alive is only half the battle. Anyways Im looking for some constructive criticism. Im having fun, but I prefer not to continue blind if I could be doing things better. Thanks!!

Boxwood (3).jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A boxwood in Fairbanks Alaska isn't going to have a very tough time. Even the hardiest varieties are hardy to USDA zone 4 at the lowest. Fairbanks is, what, a 1-3? Overwintering outside is probably going to kill it. Boxwood are not "indoor" trees, although one species is typically sold as an "indoor" bonsai. That's a subtropical species call Buxus Harlandii.

If you have a way to overwinter the boxwood indoors for the winter, it would be best, but it's going to limp along and drop leaves, get mite infestations and potentially root rot along the way

Boxwood, at least landscape boxwood American, English and Japanese (many different varieties) are extremely tough trees in climates they like. Here in Va. they grow like weeds. We have 300 year old boxwood still growing in some gardens around here.

I've had boxwood for years as bonsai. I've chopped them back to no foliage, reduced roots by 95 percent, etc. They don't flinch and recover easily. That kind of work is done in mid-spring, as the plants are growing strongly.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
A boxwood in Fairbanks Alaska isn't going to have a very tough time.
I think @rockm meant to type IS going to have a tough time.

He points out the hard truth. + some good information.
Maybe a nice cold frame against a South wall of the house could provide a safe enough winter protection?

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
As far as the styling goes, It’s a start!
You’ve pulled down some branches to open it up.
Going forward, I wouldn’t be too afraid to try out the wire. You’ll find it to be much easier to work with.

Alaskanrocket

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A boxwood in Fairbanks Alaska isn't going to have a very tough time. Even the hardiest varieties are hardy to USDA zone 4 at the lowest. Fairbanks is, what, a 1-3? Overwintering outside is probably going to kill it. Boxwood are not "indoor" trees, although one species is typically sold as an "indoor" bonsai. That's a subtropical species call Buxus Harlandii.

If you have a way to overwinter the boxwood indoors for the winter, it would be best, but it's going to limp along and drop leaves, get mite infestations and potentially root rot along the way

Boxwood, at least landscape boxwood American, English and Japanese (many different varieties) are extremely tough trees in climates they like. Here in Va. they grow like weeds. We have 300 year old boxwood still growing in some gardens around here.

I've had boxwood for years as bonsai. I've chopped them back to no foliage, reduced roots by 95 percent, etc. They don't flinch and recover easily. That kind of work is done in mid-spring, as the plants are growing strongly.
I have a heated area that stays in the 40 degree range during the winter so not too worried about the wintering portion. These boxwoods are grown as yard shrubs locally and seem to do fine, albeit probably not flourishing but surviving. I think Im in a 3B zone at my particular elevation. Time will tell I suppose.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a heated area that stays in the 40 degree range during the winter so not too worried about the wintering portion. These boxwoods are grown as yard shrubs locally and seem to do fine, albeit probably not flourishing but surviving. I think Im in a 3B zone at my particular elevation. Time will tell I suppose.
Does the area you're storing it in have adequate light in the winter? If the plant is active (And it will be at 40 F), it will require a fair amount of light.

Might survive as a landscape tree, but in a container you lose at least one USDA zone of hardiness because roots are more exposed.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think @rockm meant to type IS going to have a tough time.

He points out the hard truth. + some good information.
Maybe a nice cold frame against a South wall of the house could provide a safe enough winter protection?
Yeah, my bad. sorry

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just on the styling......when you're ready to put it outside you might cut back much further to bring the foliage in closer to the trunk. Cutting back (but leaving at least a little green) on each branch will stimulate boxwoods to bud back closer to the trunk. You can work your way back until you have a more pleasing (tighter) foliage distribution. Wire branches while young and flexible. You'll find at some size they become almost impossible to move

Alaskanrocket

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update, My sister in law is a potter and made this pot for me. I did some trimming and wiring, its not perfect by any stretch but this is where it's at now. Im really nervous its not going to make it through the re-pot. It was extremely rootbound. Hey, either way, if it doesn't make it next time I'll know better.
boxwood.jpg

Top Bottom