How big is too big? Silly Question for fun.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Bonsai in the U.S. is not exactly underground and unpopular, however I talk to people that don't know what it is or like most they think it's just juniper cuttings in mass produced pots with glued rocks.

Let's say a very famous movie director became fascinated with Bonsai and made a movie about the struggles of an young American who goes to Japan for a formal apprenticeship. The director throws in a good love story, some beautiful bonsai, and an inspirational story line. Over the next five years there is a huge Bonsai Boom in the U.S. Everyone wants to do it. My question is-what do you think about this? How many people getting into bonsai would be a good thing? is there a point when Bonsai get's "too big" here in the US? How would this affect the current and the long term Bonsai scene?

Thanks!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sounds like a good problem to have... Not likely, but at least for places where there is a dearth of bonsai, there would be more and better resources. And just think, we here will be above the curve.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is the same popularity problem that purebred dogs have. Once a breed gets the spotlight in a movie (100 Dalmatians, etc.) people jump on the bandwagon and dogs are overbred, oversold and overbought by all the wrong people--people who don't understand, are ignorant of how to produce quality animals. Popular success isn't really success...

Reaction score
I think every person should get into it. I think there should be a reality show on tv called Bonsai with the stars or So you think you can bonsai. They should be teaching bonsai in public schools as a requirement.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
It is the same popularity problem that purebred dogs have. Once a breed gets the spotlight in a movie (100 Dalmatians, etc.) people jump on the bandwagon and dogs are overbred, oversold and overbought by all the wrong people--people who don't understand, are ignorant of how to produce quality animals. Popular success isn't really success...

Well said.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Oh go ahead and fund the movie, make sure you get a good cut. This is a case of no too big.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a title....

Lets call it Karate Kid!

BTW, the single biggest mover of the bonsai scene in America ever!

Last edited:

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
OHHH!!!! and then in the sequel they could climb up a dangerous cliff and collect a tree that miraculously has perfect pads and shape even after being hidden for decades ...

then some scoundrels could come by and be idiots and snap the trunk in half ... and it could be miraculously healed in just a few short weeks !!! and still have perfect pads!!!

(I believe that was the only actual living bonsai in the film)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OHHH!!!! and then in the sequel they could climb up a dangerous cliff and collect a tree that miraculously has perfect pads and shape even after being hidden for decades ...

then some scoundrels could come by and be idiots and snap the trunk in half ... and it could be miraculously healed in just a few short weeks !!! and still have perfect pads!!!

(I believe that was the only actual living bonsai in the film)

I have it on strict authority that no bonsai were harmed in the filming of this movie. I have that from the two Bonsai Coordinators on the film Jim Barrett and Roy Nagatoshi

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a title....

Lets call it Karate Kid!

BTW, the single biggest mover of the bonsai scene in America ever!

Come to think of it, I think that's honestly what sparked my interest in bonsai. ha ha. Isn't that funny. :p

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have it on strict authority that no bonsai were harmed in the filming of this movie. I have that from the two Bonsai Coordinators on the film Jim Barrett and Roy Nagatoshi

I knew Roy was in on it... but I didn't know Jim was..... Weren't all the other trees besides the "perfect" image of the chinese elm(?) made from silk? I know they were mostly all fake...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The movie that NEEDS to be made is about the oldest roots of bonsai in the U.S. Karate Kid admirably touched on this a bit, but didn't delve deep enough.

Such a story wouldn't center on bonsai, but on the personal hardship of Japanese internees in camps in the Western U.S. turning to bonsai (as well as being the initial original U.S. bonsai hunters--as well as GIs returning from the horrors of Pacific warfare with bonsai in tow, post-war Japan recovery, etc .

There is a message in there about peace and living life despite hardships.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The movie that NEEDS to be made is about the oldest roots of bonsai in the U.S. Karate Kid admirably touched on this a bit, but didn't delve deep enough.

Such a story wouldn't center on bonsai, but on the personal hardship of Japanese internees in camps in the Western U.S. turning to bonsai (as well as being the initial original U.S. bonsai hunters--as well as GIs returning from the horrors of Pacific warfare with bonsai in tow, post-war Japan recovery, etc .

There is a message in there about peace and living life despite hardships.

That is a movie I would like to see made.
Good thought Rockm

Top Bottom