How can you handle the large bonsai?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's the solution we use.
The Hoyer could be useful. Since medical equipment tends to carry a premium price compared to similar devices used in other industries, I have 2 suggestions:
1. Look for a used Hoyer in the Nifty Nickle, or whatever source you may have in your area (Craigslist, eBay?). When people are done with medical equipment, they often will sell it very cheap.
2. How about an engine hoist? Again, look for a used one.

Good luck,
Chris
yes, I can get the used one in the cheap price.

I'm currently recovering from hernia surgery after moving this JBP on a very heavy rock to a local bonsai exhibit earlier this year. I know how to lift properly but you still have to do what it takes to get the bloody thing where you want it. And I had help lifting it up to the dai. There's a Hoyer lift on Craigslist but it wouldn't help in my situation going over lawn and gravel. I really should sell it but it would have to be picked up here, too heavy to ship. It's going through leaf reduction technique beginning this year. I guess I'll just keep enjoying it sitting in the greenhouse/rain shelter.:)
Hi Shima, sad story. That's why I don't want it happens to me. You're better to go for shohin from now, right? Bonhe

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Bonhe

Exactly! It's chuhin/shohin for me.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I just peeked on CL and there are several Hoyer Lifts available in Southern California for (what I believe to be) reasonable prices. One guy is asking $100 for a new one...

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Almost 3 years passed by since I opened this topic. Now, I have an update! :eek:
Last June, I had to bring this large JBP to area where I could perform June schedule for it. It's really heavy even for 2 people to carry.
I was able to get a $50 Hoyer lift via Craiglists! Good find I think.
The pot was lifted up.
DSC_1182.jpg

It's landing on the hydraulic lifting cart.
DSC_1186.jpg

It's ready for work.
DSC_1195-1.jpg

It worked really well. Its next task will be for large olive, pomegranate, bougainvillea, crape myrtle, hibiscus and California junipers. :eek:
Bonhe

p/s: I have to find the longer webbing sling for this job.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's pretty damn neat. They also sell something like that that lifts car engines out.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
;)This is cheating;) I have a tree that's bigger than that and I lift it all the time :rolleyes:. ;)Of course, I've thrown my back out, smashed my toes AND broken other trees hefting it around...What's a big bonsai without collateral damage.

Seriously, this is pretty cool. I need both the lift AND the cart to save my achin' back.

Last edited:

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are crazy, bonhe :)

The cost of those huge pots, and thought of re-potting that monster, makes me shiver. Bonsai is not supposed to be hard work. It is supposed to be fun!

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You got a steal on the price. Those things go for upwards of $600-1000. Nice find again.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are crazy, bonhe :)

The cost of those huge pots, and thought of re-potting that monster, makes me shiver. Bonsai is not supposed to be hard work. It is supposed to be fun!
's
Well, it's life, Attlia Soos! :eek: . Hard work but fun! I doesn't think about downgrading my collection yet!

You got a steal on the price. Those things go for upwards of $600-1000. Nice find again.
I know. However, sometimes I found Hoyer lift on Craiglists for $150.
Bonhe

elliott

Yamadori
Reaction score
I like the idea of that hoyer lift. I also think walter is on the correct tract by going to the gym and working out.
But what happens when your alergic to green veggies and excersize like I am?:rolleyes:

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I like the idea of that hoyer lift. I also think walter is on the correct tract by going to the gym and working out.
But what happens when your alergic to green veggies and excersize like I am?:rolleyes:

then you might just break out in handcuffs. oops wrong joke, sorry.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just used Hoyer lift to transplant one of the large California junipers I have.
So much fun!
Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_2439.JPG
    DSC_2439.JPG
    179.9 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC_2443.jpg
    DSC_2443.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 186

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Good job Bonhe! The biggest reason why all of my big trees are neglected is because they are too big. I've got some trees I haven't moved in 15 years.

That's a nice JBP in the earlier post! You're getting a nice collection!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just used Hoyer lift to transplant one of the large California junipers I have.

SWEET TOOL!!! Saves your back for sure. I have 4 trees I can use this on. That is a steal for the price. Congrats for the score! :D

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like it! Locally I found one for 400.00 I'll try and grind him or wait for the next one.
I can see changing the base or at least the wheels to make it more rugged for sloped and uneven ground like I have in my yard, larger air filled rubber wheels... the 4 X 4 Hoyer!

If that works maybe I can just jump on with a tree and ride it down a mountain after collecting. ha

Ya lets see more of your trees Bonhe!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good job Bonhe! The biggest reason why all of my big trees are neglected is because they are too big. I've got some trees I haven't moved in 15 years.

That's a nice JBP in the earlier post! You're getting a nice collection!
Thanks Si. Just transfer your big trees to me and every thing will be fine! ;)

hello Bonhe
how about showing us some more of your trees in your collection.
I will set up the time to put them on!

SWEET TOOL!!! Saves your back for sure. I have 4 trees I can use this on. That is a steal for the price. Congrats for the score! :D
I believe it doe!. Excellent tool for every heavy thing needed to be lifted up.

I like it! Locally I found one for 400.00 I'll try and grind him or wait for the next one.
I can see changing the base or at least the wheels to make it more rugged for sloped and uneven ground like I have in my yard, larger air filled rubber wheels... the 4 X 4 Hoyer!

If that works maybe I can just jump on with a tree and ride it down a mountain after collecting. ha

Ya lets see more of your trees Bonhe!
Good idea Monza.
Bonhe

Top Bottom