How can you handle the large bonsai?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When the transplant time of the large bonsai is coming, how can you do if you can't get any help from other person? The reason I bring it up is that every one of us will come to the end day when we cann't carry the heavy stuff any more, and we have to face with the heavy bonsai. Even though I'm still young at this moment, but it's hard work for me to take care of the large bonsai without help. Any idea? Thanks. Bonhe

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
When the transplant time of the large bonsai is coming, how can you do if you can't get any help from other person? The reason I bring it up is that every one of us will come to the end day when we cann't carry the heavy stuff any more, and we have to face with the heavy bonsai. Even though I'm still young at this moment, but it's hard work for me to take care of the large bonsai without help. Any idea? Thanks. Bonhe

Have your 15 year old grandson move in with you...........:eek:

keep it green,
Harry

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Bonhe, that time is coming sooner than you think. There was a time when I didn't think twice about "BIG" trees ........ those days of ignorance are long gone.

I humped this monster honeysuckle (see below) out about a mile and a half strapped to my back. I went through mud , muck, swaps briers and other nasties that will rip flesh from your bones. By the time I got to the truck were my wife was waiting I was literally on my hands and knees making it the last 100 feet. My wife thought that amusing till she saw "something" in my face that must have sent of warning bells, because that grin became a frown and the lecture soon followed.

Anyway, I now use a cherry picker for trees over 75 pounds. A left over from my mechanical days, that serves me well now. My sacroiliac ain't what it use to be.

Attachments

• P1070349.jpg
    P1070349.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,353

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Bonhe, that time is coming sooner than you think. There was a time when I didn't think twice about "BIG" trees ........ those days of ignorance are long gone.

I humped this monster honeysuckle (see below) out about a mile and a half strapped to my back. I went through mud , muck, swaps briers and other nasties that will rip flesh from your bones. By the time I got to the truck were my wife was waiting I was literally on my hands and knees making it the last 100 feet. My wife thought that amusing till she saw "something" in my face that must have sent of warning bells, because that grin became a frown and the lecture soon followed.

Anyway, I now use a cherry picker for trees over 75 pounds. A left over from my mechanical days, that serves me well now. My sacroiliac ain't what it use to be.

It ain't just your sacroiliac.................:rolleyes:

keep it green,
Harry

JTGJr25

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haha Tom's story is much funnier when told in person.....with all the details lol. Also, I don't think that pack of cigarettes does the size of the tree justice. I swear that thing is much bigger when seen in person.

Tom

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have your 15 year old grandson move in with you...........:eek:

keep it green,
Harry
It may be one of solution :)

I go to the fitness club and lift real heavy weights to be able to handle my large trees without help. No kidding.
You're strong! But until what age? Besides, one might get herniation, back pain or others...

That's what I want to hear. I'm thinking to find out or to make some thing to lift the heavy tree.
Thanks for all response. Bonhe

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
Strong Body but weak mind?
Many of us may have asked our personal photographer to put down the damn camera and give us a hand moving the fine imported Japanese Maple Bonsai. When you are a Bonsai super hero or trying to be one, you must chronicle for heroics for the internet. So it is not so easy. Then there is the problem of finding someone who can change a ski parka into a super hero cape. He is a highly self trained professional, do NOT try this at home!

Mark

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mark,

don't you realize how silly you are in your incredibly strong hatred for WP? You don't seem to have the slightest sense of humor. You really make a fool of yourself following me all over the net and spitting your venom at me. You could have really chosen a better opportunity for your favorite pastime.

Last edited:

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Mark,

don't you realize how silly you are in your incredibly strong hatred for WP? You don't seem to have the slightest sense of humor. You really make a fool of yourself following me all over the net and spitting your venom at me. You could have really chosen a better opportunity for your favorite pastime.
Put him on ignore..Nice feature that works real well!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Walter is doing what everyone with larger trees does--.You bust your gut lifting them to repot. If you don't have help, that's the way it is. No way around it.

There are ways to cheat a bit--block and tackle under your deck/eaves/garage, etc. padded strapping around the trunk--hang the tree in the air by the strapping/block and tackle.

Slave labor--sons and daughters:D:D

Complaining spouses--although this can lead to some pretty domestic altercations. This is a last resort.

You can also find someone else who has big trees and exchange heavy lifting duties.

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Squats, deadlifts, and other controlled compound lifting exercises in the gym along with other lifts that focus on the posterior chain. When performed with proper form, these lifts are invaluable for overall body strength regardless of age plus they burn a lot of calories and boost the metabolic rate.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You must be under 35...:D Over 40, all that generally interferes with naps and drinking beer and Bushmills..:D

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is correct (my age)! Nothing beats a post-workout beer though! New to bonsai but not new to lifting and working out. When I saw that thread, I had to jump in!

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
You're all a bunch of amateurs, liquors quicker........:p

keep it green,
Harry

Top Bottom