How come there are hardly any trees being posted

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Since it is full on bonsai season and there are over 4000 members.. I was wondering how come the posting of trees seems sporadic at best. I love looking at bonsai... rough stylings, semi trained, masterpieces doesn't really matter. I am wondering if people are hesitant or shy. Hesitant because maybe they will receive some criticism.

Come on now... Post em if ya got em..:D

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
lol.. You look shaven and showered.. However, I can't smell through email:D

On another note.. Your trees are stunning...

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually I was asking myself why I haven't taken any pics of my trees for some time now, so I finally got up and went out to shoot some today. A ch elm, a Japanese nire elm group, a JBP that can hardly wait for some decandeling soon, and my only shimpaku.:)

Attachments

• bonsai12.jpg
    bonsai12.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 169
  • bonsai32.jpg
    bonsai32.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 182
  • bonsai22.jpg
    bonsai22.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 171
  • bonsai61.jpg
    bonsai61.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 168

Mark D.

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Wow, both of you, those are some great trees! Thomas, the pics came out very good.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It's probably that we're all so damn busy, potting, pinching, triming, pinching, wiring, pruning, potting . . . .

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Thomas, I really like the picture #2. Reminds me of groups of little oaks I see around here all the time.

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I'm glad for the positive comments on my little group. I had to make a decision this past repotting on whether or not to remove the fourth tree that was a part of the group since I bought it back in 1991. The trees roots were all but gone so I thought it would be good to salvage what I could from the remaining roots and use them to make a few mame trees which I did and I think in a few years they will start looking good. They will be mame semi cascade elms.

If you want to see the progression of this group from 1991 until the drastic restyle, check out this link : http://www.dallasbonsai.com/bonsai_tree_care_TomM_restyle.html

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice trees; that pine is a fav...hopefully you were spared by the storms all the news channels are showing right now in DFW...far enough away to avoid the bonsai shuffle?

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I still had to do the bonsai shuffle by placing all the JBPs and a few others under my benches. I just missed the softball sized hail by a few miles. I was really sweating it there for a while. Back in 2003 I almost lost my whole collection because of three hail storms only 30 mins apart from each other came through my new subdivision. I was at work and if it weren't for my son and his wife moving my trees while the hail was falling (golf ball size), I would of had a lot of trees that would have been shredded. As it was I only lost a few. This is some kind of spring this year. My heart sure goes out to those in Joplin Mo.

sfhellwig

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Because some of us don't have trees worth showing.:D I'm finally getting over digging up every seedling I see and this year might have a tree or two I would show. MIGHT. I try to resist using bonsai pots because of SIAP syndrome. I don't want to be accused of that so most of my stuff is in grow flats or nursery cans. Funny thing is the two I would show are collected Eastern Redcedars, but they are getting better. I have about a dozen JM but they're a few years away from their first chop. I'm totally set up, just get back to me in 5-10 years. I know, I should be saving my money for a real tree but some of us "bottom rung" guys just can't swing that. Especially in my neck of the woods, which is a scant 30 miles from Joplin. I fell very lucky that we took no damage. Just dropped off some clothes to send that way earlier today.:(

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
I just moved all my trees inside to keep them out of the racquetball size hail, the biggest I've ever seen. Anyway...here's a picture of a Cedar elm, obviously it needs a lot of work still, and I'm growing out the lower left branch to thicken it up.

Attachments

• Cedar elm.jpg
    Cedar elm.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 129

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Thomas.. Your Bonsai and photography are outstanding.

Hello Ross.. That is a nice tree. Any pics of it out of leaf or defoliated?

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello Ross.. That is a nice tree. Any pics of it out of leaf or defoliated?

Here are a couple more pics of it, one from this winter, and the other from Spring '09 I think. I dunno about it still, I think the branches come out at kinda awkward angles and I think I need to lean it back and to the left a bit, and cut back the branch on the bottom right. It's a work in progress.

Attachments

• cedar elm.jpg
    cedar elm.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 73
  • cedar elm winter.jpg
    cedar elm winter.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 84

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
trees

here's a couple from the far side of the pond. works in progress. premna microphylla

best wishes, sam

Attachments

• DSC00537.jpg
    DSC00537.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC00540.jpg
    DSC00540.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC00541.jpg
    DSC00541.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC00544.jpg
    DSC00544.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC00549.jpg
    DSC00549.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 59

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I dunno about it still, I think the branches come out at kinda awkward angles and I think I need to lean it back and to the left a bit, and cut back the branch on the bottom right. It's a work in progress."

Nice trunk on that CE. That lower thick branch, however, should probably be removed completely. It's probably never going to work into a design with the other developing branches and will become increasingly more distracting as the design takes shape.

Believe me, I understand about having to make tough decisions on cedar elms. I have one that has been in need of a good branch editing for the last ten years. I haven't been able to bring myself to cut big ones off, even though the design would benefit greatly...:eek:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Ross.. The tree has some good potential.. It is good that you are growing it taller.. Eventually, as it grows taller, it will be a well balanced tree. Also, as rockm stated, that first branch should probably be removed. It will only get thicker and probably interfere with the overall design.

Sam.. The trunk has nice movement and is pretty unique looking

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
As you wish October, since I really enjoy looking at your trees :)

Thuja occidentalis (arborvitae) collected last spring. So far the only work done on it has been working on peeling bark away from dead areas, reducing thick branches that will never backbud, and spreading out the young branches that will form the crown to encourage strong growth. It will be repotted next year - thuja grow roots like no conifer ever should! However it takes a long time to figure out what parts of these old thuja are dead, and what parts are alive.
DSC_0083.jpg

Dwarf Japanese Yew, 6 years from nursery stock. Four of those years were spent on root reduction to get it in a pot. This year's only goal is letting the roots get further established. Minimal pruning will be done, but it will probably receive a wiring (its second) in the late summer or fall. I love the new growth on yews :) This picture is about a week old, I have since peeled the bark and bleached the deadwood, so it looks quite different today. I am really taking my time with this tree, as I consider it a rare find.
DSC_0202.jpg

One of this year's collected thuja that has taken on some nice colour. If it grows well this summer, it will be dramatically cut back in August. Basically the whole foliage mass on the far left is useless.
DSC_0095.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom