How come there are hardly any trees being posted

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a few pics of my monster Crab Apple collected from my yard. A year ago I tried to chop a bunch of the longer roots about three feet out from the tree, trying to maximize small close in feeder roots this spring. This tree was very well anchored into the ground, I missed a whole bunch. It took about eight hours of digging and many cocktails.
Sorry for the general quality of my pics, I took them for my reference then decided to post up.

Took along time and damn near killed me getting into the wheel barrow. Still happy with the amounts of feeder roots, hopefully it does alright.

In a box on a bench, must weigh a couple hundred lbs all boxed up. I did miss getting a few surprise feeder roots into the box, it was a beast to get fitted in. Totally wanted a different angle but I would of needed a different box and I was done wrestling this thing.

Different angle

I took this in the rain because I don't know how long the flowering will last, it's been flowering for a week. Obviously lots of work ahead of me. Looking forward to some serious carving! I know not a typical deadwood type tree but it should be fun to carve and style.

Next spring I think I'll chop the long branch on the right, the left one will be the new leader? I'll do some hard pruning of the longer branches in the fall, at least that's the plan so far. I'll try and preserve some deadwood this summer, but not going to get carried away until I see its long term health. Fire away with any feed back good or bad.

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Clearly not the way to correctly post up pics... I'll work on that.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That will work into a very nice tree. I would, however, cover the surface roots with about an inch more of bonsai soil. Exposed to the air as they are, they could dry out and die. Keep them moist at all costs or you might not get any roots close to the surface, or even lose that great nebari.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello amkhalid.... All those are just outstanding material.. I love the arby and yew in particular... Both are going to be stunning bonsai when finished. That arby was a great collected find. Speaking of yews.. I posted one of my yews from nursery stock in the "other conifers" section.. I am mentioning it because it reminds me of yours.

Hello monza.. wow.. That tree is a back breaker alright.. An amazing trunk on it... That tree is certainly going to make people stop and look when it is ready.

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello hotacton.. There was nothing there in your post. The link doesn't seem to lead anywhere.

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That will work into a very nice tree. I would, however, cover the surface roots with about an inch more of bonsai soil. Exposed to the air as they are, they could dry out and die. Keep them moist at all costs or you might not get any roots close to the surface, or even lose that great nebari.

I have to fess up I was really scratching my head how this nebari was going to play out. Seems pretty obvious it should have been covered with soil but it had never collected such a massive trunk before. In my mind at the time I was thinking- no way is this old root/nebari supporting the living portions of this tree and there were lots of small feeder roots on the other side below the living portions of the tree? So here is where I may have really f'd up; I put cut paste on the cut edge portion of that old wood trunk that was exposed. How bad was/is that?

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a before and after picture of a juniper of mine after a recent workshop with Suthin Sulkovisit. Still needs a bit more wiring and deadwood work. Hopefully I can find the time this weekend

Attachments

• juniper before and after.jpg
    juniper before and after.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 72

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The past few years I've pretty much limited myself to one good tree a year, instead of a lot of smaller "good deals". Here's this years tree (unless I see something I just can't walk away from)
Collected Larch (approx 4" trunk)

Attachments

• larch.jpg
    larch.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 80

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Yew update and a Ginkgo. still leaving out. Spring came 2-3 weeks late here...

DSC_0510.jpg

DSC_0515.jpg

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a water-elm in its second full year of training.

Zach

Attachments

• Water-elm6-4-11-2.JPG
    Water-elm6-4-11-2.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 59

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just collected this one and thought I'd share. Collecting season is just starting in the alpine where this was collected. So much going on it's hard to capture a good shot of this tree.

Attachments

• IMG_6622-copy.jpg
    IMG_6622-copy.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Top Bottom