How deep can I Uro you?

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
hi all!
I was wondering when I should perform an uro on my decidious tree, but then read some posts to get the idea. A previous thread on this forum does not come with a straight answer which only means that it probably does not matter that much. I hope....

So to my question. I don't have the great knowladge of trees and how they work, so this might sound strange to someone. How deep can I make an uro on a decidous tree?
I looked some of extreme cases and wonder how tree is still alive if it is almost completely hollow. For example this:
http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/AT Privet bonsai 3 trunks into 1.html

Thanks for any help guys and gals!
Oh also... Is lime sulphur or something similar a obligatory thing to use after such procedure?

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think you can bore right tru the complete trunk to the other side if you want. The saps will flow around the hole, you wil need living bark around it ofcourse. It's only a problem if the uro is as big was the width of ur tree, well if that's the case you wil have chopped the tree in half so. (im a noob so don't take my word).

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Just be sure it drains/holds no water, and you can go as deep as you want.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And as long as you do it when it can seal itself b4 dormancy, you'll be alright.

IMO, no lime sulphur, I'd want it to have a natural decaying look. Let it rot!

Sorce

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm amazed that tree can still send it's nutrients and stuff up and down even with half or more of it's main tunnel missing.
About the timing. It's a freshly planted (in a training pot) yamadori. Should I wait for it to settle in a bit and not cause any more stress to the tree, right? Or does this not stress the tree as much as I imagine.
But won't the rotting make the tree die off?

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If it's just collected i would let it grow for a time i guess, it's allready stressed. You don't want to disturb the roots again i think. Sorce says:
And as long as you do it when it can seal itself b4 dormancy, you'll be alright.
So, i guess it has to be able to seal itself this season and i think a just collected tree is weaker.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm a bit lost. But by seal off I meant, roll over a callous, not heal completely.

I just read a BVF blog post about how a freshly dug tree does have a good head of steam. But now that it's rooting afresh, I wouldn't mess with it till midsummerish.

Heartwood can fully rot out and the tree will live.

Pics ? Species, ?

Sorce

klosi

Shohin
Reaction score
Ok, I see. I will leave it be for now, to get over the stress from diging it out.
It's Ostrya carpinifolia. I think so. Not sure what it's called in english.

Top Bottom