How did you get started in bonsai?

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
I was doing a Google search for Dudes in Sexy pink thongs, I was led to this site and have been hooked ever since!
Now I have a purple pair, yellow, blue, I killed some candy ones I got from a roadside vendor. You can't trust them roadside vendors....

Seriously....

I found a braided ficus at work and found Bonsai reading about its care.

Sorce

You forgot your brown pair!! :)

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I got started in bonsai when I got acquainted with "mallsai" What attracted me were what I thought were beautiful trunks, lush green foliage, and pots. Not long after that, I came across subscriptions of Bonsai magazine. That's the first encounter with real bonsai, but it was in 2D. Still reading and learning more about bonsai. Sometimes still I find myself overwhelmed discouraged; learning that there's so much about bonsai that I don't know. Not knowing how I'll get that knowledge and the skills. Fortunately, I'm fighting and will try to have good bonsai practices and have a good small collection one day.

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
I was doing a Google search for Dudes in Sexy pink thongs, I was led to this site and have been hooked ever since!
Now I have a purple pair, yellow, blue, I killed some candy ones I got from a roadside vendor. You can't trust them roadside vendors....

Seriously....

I found a braided ficus at work and found Bonsai reading about its care.

Sorce

That's odd, because when I did a search for Bonsai, all I got was pics of dudes in thongs.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
That's odd, because when I did a search for Bonsai, all I got was pics of dudes in thongs.
.... with a 'rising sun' bandana tied across their foreheads?

kamikazes_rue_des_archives.jpg

You made a typographical error.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My neighbor growing up was from Vancouver and she had a ton of bonsai. I was always a treehugger, and spent my time adventuring around this beautiful country. After finally settling down and having kids, I separated from my spouse and had time to explore hobbies. The natural choice for a nature boy, who is sad from a lack off kids time, is time with trees! So for the last 4 years or so, I have been collecting and reading old bonsai books from my neighbor. I can say that this site has helped immensely!

Guy Vitale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
For me it was a trip to the local mall sometime in the early-mid 90s, some guy was selling bonsai at a kiosk in the middle of the mall, something about thes trees caught my attention and couldn't help but spend the next half hour or so talking about these fascinating trees. Being a teen right out of H.S., I couldn't afford one of his trees, but he was nice enough to set me up with a plastic bonsai pot, soil, a little wire and told me to go to a nursery and pick out a shrub I liked. I bought a small Cotoneaster pruned it up, trimmed the roots, potted it up, and placed it next to a window in the living room. Within a week or so it started to sprout new growth which shortly thereafter fizzled out. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why it died. I put my bonsai fascination aside to enjoy my early twenties. Fast forward to 2001, I was at the same mall with my then girlfriend, but this time we walked into the Science store. I saw a bonsai starter kit and proceeded to brag to my girlfriend that I did bonsai before. She responded very impressed and mentioned she would love a Wisteria bonsai one day, so what do I do, I dig up a little tiny runner growing under my mom's Wisteria trellis and potted it up. 15 years later and over 100 trees, I am still as fascinated as the first time I saw these little trees in the mall kiosk. Oh, and the wisteria in my avatar is the very tree I first potted up in 2001. I can't quite recall, but I guess the karate kid has something to do with It as well.

Reaction score
In a local garden center there was a waiting line so a grabbed a book with a tree in a pot on it (tilia cordata on the book of Werner Busch) apparently you can grow your own from some local species. Bought the book. Bought first small elm in bonsai store. I just stopped cycling and was looking for a hobby with less dedication, more free time ... we all know how that ends...

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I already loved plants in high school, so I bought a cute little juniper bonsai, which I promptly killed. Fast forward 10 years, and my brother bought me an azalea bonsai, when I had my 1st child. I loved it, and killed it also. I made do with my outside flower beds, and house plants, some orchids, raising kids, busy with softball, baseball, volleyball games, etc. A few years ago, started picking up random Wal-mart stuff, a few things online. The I joined this forum, and my collection sort of exploded!

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know what they say about crack cocaine?
"The first hit is one too many and a million too few."

Too many years ago to think about (mid 70s), "Victory Garden"
had a segment on bonsai. And I was hooked! Now this was
all before cocaine use was common, the 80s-90's, but
I was an dyed in the wool-full fledged-card carrying-addict
for bonsai. Still am. My sorted folders of bonsai photos
is 1.608 TB--right now, will grow some before I
retire for the evening--and there is still another 3TB hard
drive that is almost full of nothing but BONSAI; got to get those
sorted one of these days. The internet has been more than a
blessing to me. I can get my "fix" and not have to put up with
heat, rain, a-holes, distance, "already checked out", etc. Of
course high school horticulture only made me want more.
Crazy what you can do with a greenhouse and unlimited use
of anything that grows in one. Used to have a fuchsia that I
loved; left it when I graduated. :( Life happened for a few
decades but I am back to it now that all the noise is gone.
Goodness I love these times we live in.

Last edited:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have always been a nature lover, plants and animal life has fascinated me as long as I can remember.
I really, sort of stumbled into bonsai, accidently.
My wife and I bought our first house together in June 2011.
The lady that lived here before had planted several azaleas around, and a really cool ornamental tree (black lace elderberry). After 2 years of not really knowing how to properly care for these gardens plants, I decided to research.
Started with azalea info.
Stumbled across google images of azalea bonsai trees.
I was blown away by how awesome they looked! I was sucked in immediately.
I could never dream of quitting, or taking a break from bonsai now....
Although my first baby girl was born on on 8/22...
So I am starting to see, already, how trees become neglected...
All my trees are fine, but I see how now...

Great thread by the way...

Top Bottom