How did your trees fare in this summer's weather ?

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was going to take some pics of my trees tonight and I noticed they were looking a little shabby. Between the very hot summer, constant humidity, and an onslaught of Japanese beetle, my elms and maples are a little tattered. The weather really slowed my trees down for the last two months, and we have already had frost. Also no rain for the last forty days, and i really rhink trees love the rain. Anyone else struggle with the weather this year ?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I did for sure. And I was trying out a new fert programme so I think I added to the stress on some of my more sensitive trees. Live and learn.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It seemed like almost everything I have stopped growing around July 1st. First time I have ever experienced this.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Early rains were good but the later summer sustained heat waves really held things back and now this super dry fall and has resulted in a lot more than normal cedar shedding. The cedars especially hated the heat. And like Judy some of my changes and tinkerings are impossible to interpret with the all the weather issues skewing everything. I surely hope next year is better.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Summer basically stopped growth of most of my trees...except for the few I managed to put under shade (porch). Some had burned leaves too but I guess that is normal for TX

This fall, some reacted by growing like it is spring and not sure how those tender growth will fare during winter. For now, it seems we have another month (maybe more) before it gets cold here. We got up to high-90's today.

All in all, I think my trees did pretty well considering most of them are newly collected this year ...and I am just learning. :eek:

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
To all of you yankees, welcome to life in the South! where summer is all about reducing stress on your plants. Here most plants shut down from the first of July to the end of August. I put my deciduous trees in dappled shade and do not fertilize during this time of year, and conifers get full sun until about 1:00 p.m. with light fert once a month.

This year was good for me because we got rain much more frequently and it didn't get quite as hot as usual. In fact, I've gotten the best fall growth ever this year, and I've spent more time checking growth on my more developed material.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Some of my d-trees are looking a bit rough, particularly my beech, ume, and J. maples. It happens this time of year, especially when they've been allowed to dry out a few times on hot days this summer. They're fine, but the fall show may not be as nice as other years.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
It's been kinda mild here except for June. All I have are junipers and they always look a bit unkempt unless I keep them trimed all the time. Thats just too much stres. They are all growing like crazy though. My watering and fertelizing program is relatively simple with just one type of tree

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
... and i really rhink trees love the rain. Anyone else struggle with the weather this year ?

I think all plants respond to rain in ways they never will with irrigation...It may be the weather, or ions in the rain, or just some ineffable nature spirit in the air, but the fall rain here in California comes with a very tangible reaction from all plants. Especially fall veggies, if you can time setting them out just prior to the first fall rains, they go crazy!

I lost a nice maple I was trying to air-layer, but that I think was due to the unpasteurized soil mix I used in the pot, but august heat wave we had did not help. I also lost some pre bonsai because the beans I had grown near them to provide summer shade were taken out repeatedly by gophers... some sun burn here and there...

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Let's see...the chinese juniper cultivars loved it, but I've had a fair bit of die back on portions of my 3 Rocky Mountain Junipers...the satsuki azaleas loved it...the Japanese black pines loved it, the yews didn't seem to mind and had a typical year of growth.......hornbeam, crabapple, A. palmatums.....not so much.

Stan, I know we live in the same region, but it's been dry as a bone for me here in North Cobb county for most of the summer...tired of doing the rain dance:p...please send me some soon.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No rain here none at all. None in the forecast. When I water all kinds of bugs and birds come around to get a drink.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
[SUP]Easiest summer ever for me. It was by far the coolest summer I can remember here in Vegas. I lost a few but I lost over 50 last summer.[/SUP]

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
. . .Stan, I know we live in the same region, but it's been dry as a bone for me here in North Cobb county for most of the summer...tired of doing the rain dance:p...please send me some soon.

Dav4, I'm just north of you in Woodstock. We hardly had any rain in Sept. and some of the landscape plants look terrible, but it's been cool enough that the bonsai are just chugging along. In July/Aug. I normally have to fill my rain barrel with tap water at least once, but this year, it never got down to half way. Looks like we have some headed our way the next few days. You're welcome ;)

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Happening after August

Here most plants shut down from the first of July to the end of August.

I'm one of the northerners...do your southern climate trees come back after August? Or...is that a time when the southern style winter begins with colder temps, less sun light, frost and so on?

bumblebee

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Our summer has been a little cooler and much wetter this year. All my plants have been very happy about that. The only thing is, since the hurricane passed by, I have been innudated with bugs! I think they blew in with the storm because this year I've had to actively fight them much more than usual. I always have to watch out for fungus and this year is no exception. Maybe a little worse. We do get a renewed growing season in September so the trees look good right now.

Libby

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Here most plants shut down from the first of July to the end of August.

I'm one of the northerners...do your southern climate trees come back after August? Or...is that a time when the southern style winter begins with colder temps, less sun light, frost and so on?

This is a time of very active growth around here. Especially the evergreens and the trees in the ground.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My maples had a hard summer. Lots of scorched leaves.
Junipers got a tad sunburned but so far seem ok.
Pines didn't seem to mind much at all except for the slowdown of growth during the hottest month or so.

I'm relieved that the max daily temps where my trees are has gone down considerably in the last month.
I probably going to have to designate another area in the yard for the maples and other sensitive trees next year.

Concorde

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
My tridents, hedge and amur maples did great. Some of my Japanese maples didn't take well to this year's heat wave and dry humidity. Than I discovered my prize Japanese maple, I think, has vert wilt. It started at the apex so I cut back. The disease is still spreading. Any recommendation on how to treat this disease.

Top Bottom