How Do I Deal with This WLF?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I chopped it back and cut 90% of is roots off in Feb.....why in Feb?....I dunno.

It budded like crazy and waited for the heat to come.
Now it looks like this, many buds all together....shoud I snip them down to one or two? Or let them run and see what happens, and cut later?
I know you liking that @sorce pot!
I love the taper of this little guy.
20190601_064859.jpg20190601_064907.jpg20190601_064914.jpg20190601_064919.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I’d rub out any low sprouts but otherwise let it grow for another few weeks to build up a head of steam. Then get in there with a pair of scissors and reduce each clump of shoots emerging from the trunk down to a single shoot.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd remove all new growth at soil level first. Unless you wont REALLY low branches!
Maybe thin the crown a bit, nothing major, just decide on if you want to continue the trunk line for a bigger tree or settle on this height for the apex.
I would let some shoots extend at places I want a branch and then choose a good one for my branch and remove what is not needed. Maybe a couple weeks once it's growing strong make the selection.

Fun lil fig!!!! F' tropicals!!!;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
…..what the "snob" says....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

took me ten minutes to come up with that wisdom....@WeeMac is psychotic in the morning:mad::mad::mad::mad:
I’d rub out any low sprouts but otherwise let it grow for another few weeks to build up a head of steam. Then get in there with a pair of scissors and reduce each clump of shoots emerging from the trunk down to a single shoot.
Lol!
Cool , thanks guys!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Lance is right, but don't lollygag choosing which to remove. The bigger the clump gets, the bigger the lump and/or wound, and, it will send out new growth elsewhere from which you can choose to keep or kill. You could have all the branches you want, in-place, by the end of the summer.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Lance is right, but don't lollygag choosing which to remove. The bigger the clump gets, the bigger the lump and/or wound, and, it will send out new growth elsewhere from which you can choose to keep or kill. You could have all the branches you want, in-place, by the end of the summer.
Ten4 on that. Thanks!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the way you think!
View attachment 245134
Cheers,
The snob?

So much better without that root in the front. Eli had a pot for sale up here in the same vein....if I can find the shot.....o_O

....memory holding out, only took a couple seconds!!!

'16 Bonsai West...
DSC01361.JPG

...sorry for a slight de-rail @just.wing.it , everyone gone so I'm doing a bunch of stuff at once and I'm gonna wack my JBP trainer.....and drink some Leinie's!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So much better without that root in the front. Eli had a pot for sale up here in the same vein....if I can find the shot.....o_O

....memory holding out, only took a couple seconds!!!

'16 Bonsai West...
View attachment 245145

...sorry for a slight de-rail @just.wing.it , everyone gone so I'm doing a bunch of stuff at once and I'm gonna wack my JBP trainer.....and drink some Leinie's!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D
Hell yeah man....sounds good.
No derail. Was just a quick question!

Top Bottom