How do I hide this?

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

Happy New Year.

Like the subject line. How do I hide this...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210101-095438_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210101-095438_Gallery.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 313

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What are we looking at? A cork JBP grafted on normal JBP root stock?

Short answer - very difficult to hide a graft union when the root stock and scion have very different bark characteristics. Assuming you don't want to try to air-layer off the top, the only option that I am aware of is to try to scarify the root stock bark to get it to beef up.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What are we looking at? A cork JBP grafted on normal JBP root stock?

Short answer - very difficult to hide a graft union when the root stock and scion have very different bark characteristics. Assuming you don't want to try to air-layer off the top, the only option that I am aware of is to try to scarify the root stock bark to get it to beef up.
Cork JBP on JBP root stock. I'm thinking about putting more soil to cover it.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another possible solution would be to bury it deeper... and then graft on new surface roots. Eventually, if you were able to graft enough roots all way around the trunk, you might be able to remove the root stock entirely.
Hm.. maybe bury with a wire wrapped tightly as high as it goes just below the corwwings.

junmilo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another possible solution would be to bury it deeper... and then graft on new surface roots. Eventually, if you were able to graft enough roots all way around the trunk, you might be able to remove the root stock entirely.
So are you saying, take some roots from one of my regular JBP and graft them as close to the bottom as possible?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So are you saying, take some roots from one of my regular JBP and graft them as close to the bottom as possible?

Not exactly. You want to graft JBP seedlings (one or at most two years old) into the base of your cork bark right at the soil line. If the graft is successful, you eventually remove the top of the seedling and the roots will be grafted on to your cork bark pine.

There are several threads on the site about approach grafting pine roots:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Closer observation shows roots already there🧐. These could be spread out to sides and developed with somewhat deeper planting. Fortunate happenstance as grafting in limited space difficult at best😉.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Blow up WHOLE picture look at bottom section of trunk. Are you blind?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might be easier just to buy another tree!
problem is, cork bark pines most of the time come grafted on a non-bark rootstock, and this is typically what they look like in a more mature state. Mine does exactly the same thing. I have started trying my hand at cuttings from this species to grow some without grafts.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think what he meant is this..(yellowish line)
You have the tree there. Verify whether the lines on the narrow section just above the soil line are indeed roots. It looks like the top section might have self-layered or something and that a number of roots are growing down along the rootstock

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That doesn't look like something that will be easy to deal with.
You can try everything but likely won't get a visual cure.
I'd either put it way back in an inconspicuous place or, more likely get rid of it and concentrate on a tree or trees that make it easier to get what you want.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Post a picture of a postage stamp and ask about the letter. We need to see the whole tree to make some kind of intelligent assessment.

Top Bottom