How do I know my graft has taken?

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello folks.

I‘ve done a five Prunus Mume grafts onto Prunus Maleb rootstock. These were done back in February - attached with grafting tape, wound sealer to waterproof the union, the five pots put in a big clear bag to maintain humidity and kept in my shed.. Wind the clock on to today, and all five grafts are growing. I remove the bag every few days to change the air and to avoid, hopefully, and rotting or damping off.

How long should I keep these grafts in the bag to keep humidity high? Is it ok to remove it now I’ve got shoots growing? Or should I leave them bagged all season? Should I leave it in the shed?

Any thoughts from any other grafters?

Many thanks,

Andy

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Unless it lived in the shed before, do not leave it in the shed now.

The whole deal with poking/cutting holes in the bag is to test whether the scion has enough of a xylem connection to keep up with transpiration. If the leaves start to droop like they do when the plant needs to be watered = not yet --> maybe some tape or something to reseal the bag to a degree for a little while. If they don't droop, cut away more of the bag. If that's good, the bag isn't needed any more.

AndyJ

Shohin
Reaction score
Brilliant, thanks Oso. I'll make some holes in the bag tomorrow and I'll leave them in the shed as they have been in there from the start.

Top Bottom